• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Chris Osgood

Rate this topic

Ah I thought he was saying it went off of Kronner's skate, my bad. Either way though, I didn't see it hit the Pens player's slate until now. Makes the situation a lot easier to swallow, thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah i know what you mean... i feel a lot better this morning knowing that he didn't fire it in himself... a silver lining

What a stupid thread. It could have been 6-0 Penguins, instead of 2-0 if not for Ozzie. There was NO defense played by the Red Wings for the first period and a half. They were sloppy, the passing was terrible, and as a result Pittsburgh had a ton of great scoring chances, and odd-man rushes.

The Red Wings don't even get close to overtime if not for Chris Osgood. Quit trying to blame the loss on the one guy that gave them a chance to come back last night.

First time poster, but I've been as big a wing nut as anyone my whole life. I've played the game my whole life and have coached for a while too. It's safe to say that I have more than a basic knowledge of hockey. I say all that to lead to this:

This is one of my biggest pet peaves with some of the Wings fans. I don't personally know anyone here, so I can't say anything about them. But, most of the negativity directed at Wings goaltenders over the last 15 years is due to a lack of in depth hockey knowledge. People need to realize that the Wings would be in the same place right now if Fleury was in net for us. Too many people see the opposing teams goalie stand on his head and say: "Osgood can't do that" and then blame a game like last night on Osgood. BULLSH!T.

The reality is that the Wings defense will never dictate that a goalie needs to stand on his head. What does that mean? It means a goalie can play average, but never have a chance to make up for it with the fairweather fans by playing like Fleury did last night. The best Osgood can do towards "standing on his head" is show up and have a 20 save shutout (SEE: Game 1 and Game 2). Fluery, on the other hand cna have games where he was good, but not spectacular (once again, SEE: Game 1 and Game 2) and everyone thinks he's god because he stole a game last night. Any true hockey fan knows that Osgood stole his share of games with the Islanders and the Blues, too. Heck, the Isles have only made the playoffs twice in the last 10 years --- guess who their goalie was for those two years. The truth is if Fluery (0r anyone else) were the Wings goalie the best you'd see of him would match what Osgood did in the first two games.

On top of that there is a big difference between stealing a game and costing a team a game. Last night, Fleury stole a game. Osgood did NOT cost us a game. Hasek DID cost us games 3 and 4 of the Nashville series (with poor goals). The goals scored on Osgood were not his fault. One was scored by our own defenseman and the tying goal that everyone complains about was probably the one that he had the least chance to stop. He had already made TWO saves and they scored on the third wack. Anyone that knows hockey knows this: When a shot comes from the slot (like the original shot did) and there is traffic down low, the defensemen need to clear the players and not allow them to get to rebounds. Not only did Pitt get to the rebound, they got to the second rebound as well. That is inexcusable -- Talbot should have been on his A$$.

All of that said, the real reason we lost is that we played poorly in the first period. We came out flat and got down by two (bounces or no, Pitt had plenty of opportunities). In fact we started the 2nd poorly until we got a break of our own. If we played like we did in the 3rd, all of the rest is a moot point.

Best first post ever!

3rd goal - made initial save but NEVER got his skate/pad against the post at any point. If he does that, that puck doesn't go in. Sorry, but Ozzie is at fault (as is Franzen, who had a chance to clear the puck but didn't)

I was screaming it at the last few games. I don't know you've notice that his post side is his weak side. He cheats off of it. Crosby, Hossa, now Talbot and maybe someother goal I can't remember, have been scoring from there. I need to get on the phone with Jim Berdard.

I love you Oz but you reallly need think about hugging them posts.

Osgood was fine, he had a fluke goal and a 6 on 5 goal, and one on a 4 min powerplay in 3rd OT, fluery was lucky, give Ozzie a break

Edited by CrossoverThrash

Ozzy had absolutely nothing to do with last nights loss.

You can't win if you don't score.

Argument over.

Last night isn't important because the Wings are gonna win game 6.

It WILL happen.

I was screaming it at the last few games. I don't know you've notice that his post side is his weak side. He cheats off of it. Crosby, Hossa, now Talbot and maybe someother goal I can't remember, have been scoring from there. I need to get on the phone with Jim Berdard.

Now to be fair, all of the goals you've mentioned have been rebound chances where there are more than one Penguins player down low. When does that ever happen at the other end?

I've been thinking for a while that Detroit's one defensive weakness is clearing the crease. The Penguins are exploiting that weakness. That weakness is why Chelios and Lilja were both playing ahead of Lebda.

Yes, Osgood was off the post. Why? because he was stopping a shot that was coming from the slot. No goaltender hugs the post in that situation. Filppula's flying goal is a better example of a goaltender failing to get to the post when he needed to.

If Kronwall doesn't put that puck past Ozzie, and everything else happens the same way, then Osgood has a Conn Smythe trophy over his head last night.

We also lost because of 1st period turnovers and we couldn't clear the puck in the last minute of regulation. Not Ozzie

Ya namlely Filppula! But still the team should know ozzie cannot win a game to save his soul. They should have played better. Kronner said it was because they were nervous. Give me a break, nervous at home about to win the cup? They've been down here before, where was the leadership and experience last night? I have never heard the wings use that an excuse.

Wait... are people serious trying to convince those in the "know" that Ozzie was to blame for last nights game...

Seriously there are people trying to fight on that side of the fence?

LMAO this thread is priceless!!!

Yeah I have noticed it - the Pens have been repeatedly going behind the net and trying to stuff it in on the short side, seems to be one of their main strategies.

Ya namlely Filppula! But still the team should know ozzie cannot win a game to save his soul. They should have played better. Kronner said it was because they were nervous. Give me a break, nervous at home about to win the cup? They've been down here before, where was the leadership and experience last night? I have never heard the wings use that an excuse.

I can't believe I just read that.

Yeah, Ozzie can't win. Here's a secret:

The top five goaltenders from 1990 to the present are Martin Brodeur, Chris Osgood, Patrick Roy, Ed Belfour, and Dominik Hasek.

All have played for Cup winners and for weak teams. Osgood is the only one of the group who has never had a losing season. The Isles finished last in the league the year before they picked up Ozzie; the next season they were a point away from winning the division, with Osgood as the team's MVP. He would singlehandedly stretch out the Isles playoff run to seven games against a much more talented Toronto team. The next season he was traded to St. Louis to make room for Rick Dipietro; he would completely shut down the very favored Vancouver Canucks in willing the Blues to a 3-1 series lead, before the team's serious skill disadvantage would succumb to the Canucks' offense. And in 2004, against San Jose, he was the only reason San Jose didn't win in 4 games with a 5 goal margin each game.

If it were any of the other four goaltenders with the exact same run Osgood has had, they'd be unanimous selections for the Smythe. Instead, people say 'well, look at the team in front of him!' and then I respond with "It's the same team that went 2-2 vs Nashville, except for the goaltender." If you don't think Osgood's never-gets-rattled mental toughness and his calm approach to the game have immensely helped the Wings...you haven't watched a playoff game. And ultimately, you can't say that the team would play the same for other goaltenders...because they don't.

ozzie didn't play very well guys, let's call it out for what it is. we wouldnt be here if not for him, so its not to blame him or anything. but he was very shaky. he let out alot of rebounds, juggled the pucks etc.

on the tieing goal he cheated on the cross crease pass and wasn't ablew to recover for the rebound. if he was hugging the post like he should have then ya, it wouldnt have gone in.

but they all blew it as a team at the end, Z couldnt get the puck deep when he had it ha dthe red line, 10 seconds later franzen couldnt get it out, 5 seconds later ozzie cheated on the pass and couldnt recover.

Yeah I have noticed it - the Pens have been repeatedly going behind the net and trying to stuff it in on the short side, seems to be one of their main strategies.

if that's true it's because half our defensemen play extremely soft around our own cage. Including and most importantly the guy who was playing left defense when Talbot scored. Instead of being 6 feet from the cage trying to cut off a pass with his stick he should've been eating up a streaking Talbot for the stuff play but he's too soft for that.

Some people are getting a bit to defensive about this. I don't see why its fine to criticize some players, yet everybody seems to freak out if someone even levels a minor criticism at

Osgood or suggests that he is not perfect. I don't remember anybody who was critical of Ozzie in this game saying the he was to blame for this loss, that he hasn't played well this series or that he should be pulled for Hasek. Lets just be honest, Ozzie wasn't bad, and he is not to blame for the lose anymore than anyone else, but this was not his best game. He was solid, but he probably should've had that third goal, and he was looking a bit shaky in OT. That doesn't mean he's bad. A player of his caliber isn't going to have an amazing game every night.

Some people are getting a bit to defensive about this. I don't see why its fine to criticize some players, yet everybody seems to freak out if someone even levels a minor criticism at

Osgood or suggests that he is not perfect. I don't remember anybody who was critical of Ozzie in this game saying the he was to blame for this loss, that he hasn't played well this series or that he should be pulled for Hasek. Lets just be honest, Ozzie wasn't bad, and he is not to blame for the lose anymore than anyone else, but this was not his best game. He was solid, but he probably should've had that third goal, and he was looking a bit shaky in OT. That doesn't mean he's bad. A player of his caliber isn't going to have an amazing game every night.

Although, I think the 3rd goal wasn't his fault, thank you for this refreshing post.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

HenryMalredo, thank you for being the only person to understand where I'm coming from.

No where in my first post did i say Ozzie was solely at fault. No where did i say he hasnt been great this playoffs, in fact, I said him and Z are our two conn smythe candidates. Also NO WHERE did i say replace him with Hasek.

It's just funny because BOTH cbc and nbc made comments multiple times throughout the game saying how shaky Ozzie looked, yet if i post on homerism.com, i mean LGW.com about how shaky Ozzie looked, I'm the biggest idiot in the world.

HenryMalredo, thank you for being the only person to understand where I'm coming from.

No where in my first post did i say Ozzie was solely at fault. No where did i say he hasnt been great this playoffs, in fact, I said him and Z are our two conn smythe candidates. Also NO WHERE did i say replace him with Hasek.

It's just funny because BOTH cbc and nbc made comments multiple times throughout the game saying how shaky Ozzie looked, yet if i post on homerism.com, i mean LGW.com about how shaky Ozzie looked, I'm the biggest idiot in the world.

Not hard to imagine at all... they are all Pens all the time on those stations... if they ever stopped the BJ's long enough to say something nice about the wings i would faint