• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SFwingsfan

Better off with the NBA's 2-3-2 finals format?

Rate this topic

So a friend mentioned to me last night if this was the NBA finals, Games 1-2 in Detroit, 3-5 in Pittsburgh, and Game 6-7 would be in Detroit. Would this be better for the Wings? Better for the league? Or do you think 2-3-2 format is stupid? Thoughts / comments....

“A report in USA Today stated that part of the problem with the old

format arose due to CBS's scheduling of games in the 1984 championship

series between Boston and Los Angeles [uSA Today, June 25, 1984]. In

that series there were three and two days off between some of the

first four games because CBS did not want to televise the games during

prime time in May. The series then ended with three games in five days

with a cross-country trip between each game. According to USA Today,

the NBA commissioner, David Stern, favored the 2-3-2 format because

the reduced travel would give players more rest and encourage media

attendance.”

From Google

The biggest benefit is reduced travel costs.

When the NHL switched playoff formats in 1993, they had a rule that the home team was allowed to choose either 2-2-1-1-1, or 2-3-2. The NHL has also used 2-3-2 in the past. I would personally be in favor of a 3-3-1 format; less travel than a 2-2-1-1-1, without running the risk of the 'home team' playing 3 away games in a 5 game series, as well as making home ice advantage more meaningful; a team that excelled in the regular season would get 3 cracks at home before moving to hostile ice for 3 games, and coming back home for a game 7 if necessary. It does run the chance of a team playing 3 home games in a 4 game series, but ultimately that's why you have to win in the regular season.

So a friend mentioned to me last night if this was the NBA finals, Games 1-2 in Detroit, 3-5 in Pittsburgh, and Game 6-7 would be in Detroit. Would this be better for the Wings? Better for the league? Or do you think 2-3-2 format is stupid? Thoughts / comments....

Nah, kind of eliminates home ice advantage IMO. Sure you get the first two games, then the next three go to the other team's ice. It's really only relevant if it goes to a game 7 to technically get home ice advantage. I like it how it is, 2-2-1-1-1.

Nah, kind of eliminates home ice advantage IMO. Sure you get the first two games, then the next three go to the other team's ice. It's really only relevant if it goes to a game 7 to technically get home ice advantage. I like it how it is, 2-2-1-1-1.

The NHL should not adopt anything that the NBA does.

2-3-2.

This way if the Finals were like the Finals SHOULD BE, then the better team would win on home ice for game 6, or 7.

And the fact it eliminates home ice advantage is good. Excuses suck.