• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Sundin may test free agency; wants big money

Rate this topic

The agent for Mats Sundin, J.P. Barry, said recently that he has advised his client to test free agency to see what opportunities are out there for him. Sundin will give his decision to Leafs management, either retirement, play for the Leafs or test free agency. He is said to be leaning towards leaving the Leafs for another NHL team. He will not play in Sweden.

A report in the Toronto Sun suggested that Sundin is seeking a two-year deal worth $14-16 million.

If Sundin decides to test free agency, the Leafs have proposed to Sundin that he find a deal with another team prior to July 1st so that the Leafs can trade his rights to that team in order to get something for him.

Edited by MacK_Attack

He wants big money? I don't belive that for a second. He has so much money already that he will not be able to spend them all. I am pretty sure all he wants is "Mats Sundin" to be engraved to the Stanley Cup.

For 1-2million for one year, why not. But 8 million a year? Insane!

He wants big money? I don't belive that for a second. He has so much money already that he will not be able to spend them all. I am pretty sure all he wants is "Mats Sundin" to be engraved to the Stanley Cup.

For 1-2million for one year, why not. But 8 million a year? Insane!

He's still proven himself to be among the best in the league. He was on pace for a 90-100 point season until he hit some injury issues near the end of the season.

Sundin took his charity season last year with a $5.5 million salary. While he wants the Cup, he also has his pride and I'm sure, ego, too.

Everybody else around his calibre is getting that kind of cash, I guess he wants it too.

Uh, a report from a newspaper says he wants that much. Sundin or his agent didn't say that.

Hrm, I wonder how much weight I am giving to the report in the Toronto Sun. :P

Just put it this way, J.P. Barry has stated on the record that Mats won't accept a discount this season from anybody.

A report in the Toronto Sun suggested that Sundin is seeking a two-year deal worth $14-16 million.

I like Sundin (yes yes I know he plays for Toronto...) and he's certainly a good player, but $7-8 million per season is a bit much for a 48-year old..

...after this season's result (I cannot believe we're talking about UFA's ALREADY!) I say NO to Sundin, Forsberg, etc, etc, etc...

...If they can get Feds for $200,000 I'll take him, but other than that, sign Stuart & Downey and give Helm, Abdelkader and Ericsson their chance to be the back-ups...

...hard to argue with a Stanley Cup winning roster, but really will the likes of Lilja or Sammy, McCarty or Drake be around next season? We'll see, I guess those answers would have been easier had the Wings NOT won the Cup. Good thing is, Helm and company are already Wings, so even if Sammy and Lilja are re-signed, they could eventually lose their starting jobs to the above mentioned. Other than getting Zetts signed before 2009 UFA, they should offer Stuart and Downey contracts to keep them here...

...UFA time is less than a month away!!!! YIKES!!!

I like Sundin (yes yes I know he plays for Toronto...) and he's certainly a good player, but $7-8 million per season is a bit much for a 48-year old..

In a normal summer, probably, but this free agency class is so weak that he'll probably end up getting it.

It's Marian Hossa, Mats Sundin.....then it drops off to guys like Daymond Langkow and Vaclav Prospal....(Assuming that Jagr is guaranteed back to the Rangers).

With basically only two marquee guys out there to be had, it's a good year for Sundin to cash in.

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is time to bring up some these kids to build for the future not bring in an old money hungry player with no heart :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

WHAT? Sundin is not a money hungry player with no heart. Go look at what he's done for the Leafs. He had a chance to come to the Wings this season at the deadline- the deal was structured and awaiting his approval, but he nixed it so he could stay with the team he loved.

The Toronto media had a field day with Sundin but in the end it was junior who gave him the no trade clause.

I'm sorry, but I've got nothing but respect for Sundin- he's a classy player with tons and tons of heart.

WHAT? Sundin is not a money hungry player with no heart. Go look at what he's done for the Leafs. He had a chance to come to the Wings this season at the deadline- the deal was structured and awaiting his approval, but he nixed it so he could stay with the team he loved.

The Toronto media had a field day with Sundin but in the end it was junior who gave him the no trade clause.

I'm sorry, but I've got nothing but respect for Sundin- he's a classy player with tons and tons of heart.

Maybe you're right.

But if he signs a 1-year / 7.4 million dollar deal with the LA Kings you'll know ...

jerrymaguiremoney.jpg

No way Holland would give him that much. I would love seeing him here in a wings jersey, but if he isn't willing to take a paycut then we won't be seeing him here. The way I see it is, either he wants Money, or a great chance at the Cup.

Just put it this way, J.P. Barry has stated on the record that Mats won't accept a discount this season from anybody.

I will believe it when he signs for that much.

I remember Rafalski asking for at least 6.5-7 million from the Devils. He comes to Detroit and takes a discount. Things change.

Sundin is a great player, but I think his best years are behind him and he would just be stealing years from any team he signed with. He should take a pay cut and stick with the leafs, which is where he wants to play anyways.

It would appear that way judging by his age, but his production is the same as its been for the past 10 years.

The difference between Mats Sundin and another elite forward of similar age is that Sundin doesn't rely on breakaway speed or anything like that. He's absolutely dominant down-low and can still hold his own while stickhandling and still has a fantastic shot.

It always amazes me how many people here can't for the life of them look past Sundin's age. Old or not, the guy's playing phenomenal hockey; like Mack said, he's producing as much as he did ten years ago. Huge frame, top-notch veteran leadership, rock-solid consistency, loads of experience, hungry for the Cup, very tough to play against in the corners and in front of the net...Swedish -- he's a great package.

I'd love to see him in the Winged Wheel for the right price. Two years at $14 million is pretty reasonable.

Guest redwingsfan04

i pass! sign stewy and get a good forward my main man brain rolston

I'd certainly take him if the price was right. I think he'd look good in a Wings uniform and he's always been a great player and class act. Granted, that price is not right for the Wings at this point in my estimation. 2 years $5.5-6 mil though? I'd be open-minded about it. We'd be fine without him but if you can put a guy like that on your roster who you know is going to be hungry for a Cup and a great guy in the room with all the Swedes and all, why wouldn't you want him around? I have no pride issues on the matter and it's not desperation. He's just a great player and watching a guy like that finally lift the Cup would be just another great story.

I would rather have Malone or Rolston!

This team does not need another center, nor do they need to get older (I know Rolston is no spring chicken).

Malone is still (even more so after the SCF) my top UFA, well after Stuart, got to sign your own first!!