• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BigTex

Who gets their name on the cup this season?

Rate this topic

I heard the announcers saying that everyone who either played in the finals or at least 40 games automatically gets on there.

That leaves the following players that were on the expanded playoffs roster that are a question mark:

Kyle Quincey - 6 regular season games

Jimmy Howard - 4 regular season starts

Jakub Kindl - 0 regular season games

Jonathan Ericsson - 8 regular season games

Justin Abdelkader - 2 regular season games

Cory Emmerton - 0 regular season games

Mattias Ritola - 2 regular season games

Mark Hartigan - played 4 games in earlier rounds, 23 regular season games

Do the Wings usually petition for all the guys on the expanded roster to get on or just a few?

If I was going to add anyone that wasn't automatically on it would be Mark Hartigan. He's really had a long career, bounced btw AHL and NHL, hard working guy, and did contribute a fairly significant amount during the regular season. Everyone else on there is young and can win it when they're regulars. I'd let the young guys wait and petition for MH.

Your thoughts? Who would you put on there?

TBH, I wouldn't put any of those you listed on the Cup. Hartigan is the only one that I believe deserves any type of consideration, especially since he took Filppula's spot in all the practices due to Val's injury. For me, there's gotta be more than just playing a couple games during the season to warrant getting your name on the Cup IMO. Not to sound like an ass, but I hold that trophy in the highest regard.

Sidenote: I believe you need to have played 41 games in the regular season or one game in the Finals to get your name on the Cup.

How bout Meech he played like 32 games i think?

I could be wrong my memory's not very good today :P

Correct, he played 32 games. I wouldn't mind the Wings petitioning to get his name on the Cup as well. Probably just as deserving as Hartigan.

Thanks for the correction. Good thing for Hasek he played in 41 regular season games on the nose or he'd need a petition too. I'm pretty sure that all teams put their backup goalie on there no matter how many they play.

yeah I don't think any of those guys mentioned will be on there. Hartigan should be on for reasons mentioned and they can petition like someone said to get a name or names but on like Vladdy in 98 among others. Meech should be put on so I hope he gets it on. He missed it by a whole 8 games and was here all year.

Sidenote: I believe you need to have played 41 games in the regular season or one game in the Finals to get your name on the Cup.

nope, it is actually 40 or more ...

Thanks for the correction. Good thing for Hasek he played in 41 regular season games on the nose or he'd need a petition too. I'm pretty sure that all teams put their backup goalie on there no matter how many they play.

They would anyway, because they "dressed" for just about every game even if it was just to ride the pine. It would be a different story say if the Red Wings still had MacDonald as the no.3.

You either have to play in however many games 40 or 41 (whatever)

OR

Have played in 1 playoff game.

Incorrect. It's 1 Finals game. Had Mac not played in Games 1 & 4 of the Finals, the team would've had to petition to get his name on the Cup.

i gotta think they'll petition for Meech, since he was on the roster ALL year...

maybe Hartigan but i doubt he'll be sucessful...

no one else has a chance

...I am glad Downey will get on. He was SO important to this team early on, must have killed him not to play in ONE playoff game. I am sure he is glad that he gets his name on the cup and actually was instrumental in getting the Wings to where they got before the playoffs. I hope they re-sign him, I don't know why he would want to go anywhere else considering that this team has to be a favorite to repeat or at least compete for the next few years. Take a league minimum and hang around and possibly win a couple more Cups...

...or, jet off to Anaheim and don't. LOL! Schneids and Bertuzzi have to be kicking themselves in the ass!! HAHAHA!

I believe it's 41 regular season games or 1 game in the SCF meaning DMac will get his name on the Cup because he played in that game the Homer was out. Stevie will get his name on the Cup because he is part of the Wings management

No, 41 is correct because that is half the regular season.

As I originally posted, its 41...which is half the regular season.

no ...

40 ...

from the wings 2002 championship ...

"Manny Legace's name was misspelled MANNY LEGECE with an "E" instead of an "A". An "A" was stamped over the second "E" twice to correct this mistake.

Detroit wanted to include 30 Non Players on the cup including the 7 Ilitch children, 7 scouts, and office staff (Paul MacDonald and Nancy Beard). Maxium Kuznetsov who played 39 games (1 short of required 40 games played to guarantee his name on the Stanley Cup), Sean Avery played 36 games for Detroit (36 in the minors). Both players did not play in the playoffs. Uwe Krupp also played 8 regular season games and 2 playoff games, after missing over 60 games due to a back injury. These 3 players, along with 2 trainers, were left off the cup. It is tradition that Ass't Equipment Manager Tim Abbott(on cup in 1997, 1998), and Masseur Sergei Tchekmarevare are included on the Stanley Cup. Since only a maximum 52 names can be engraved the cup each year, Detroit chose these 5 members to be left off. Each team is required to dress 20 out of a 23 players roster each game. However, Detroit only engraved 22 players on the Stanley Cup in 2003."

from nhl.com

"To earn the status of getting your name engraved on the Stanley Cup, players must play at least 40 games through the regular season or one in the Cup final."

but since y'all refuse to believe anyone else ... read it

Get to know Stanley and his History ...

Edited by tidysteve