• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shockwave180

Championship Schadenfreude

Rate this topic

I'll be honest: As happy as I am for all of our guys, one of the most enjoyable elements of winning a championship is watching your hated rivals foam with jealousy and bitterness.

In that spirit, I looked at just a couple topics on Blues and Hawks messageboards, and gleaned a few gems:

In a topic entitled "Things that are more enjoyable than watching the Wings win the cup":

"Having your house foreclosed

Being fired

Finding out your girlfriend is a dyke

Finding out she won't let you join in

Having a branding iron to the groin

Letting a cow give you a cleveland steamer

Learning you have terminal cancer

etc"

"Hopefully their plane with crash tonight on the way back to the s*** hole of America, Detoilet."

From the Hawks' main messageboard:

"I hope Detroit riots itself into the ground tonight. May the city burn."

"Detroit sucks and wouldn't have made it past the 1st round if they played the Hawks."

I haven't looked at any Avs or Leafs boards, but I'm sure you'd find similar sentiments.

Feel free to post additional idiotic, bitter comments or excuses from rival fans, co-workers, or online sycophants. Conspiracy theories? The Wings were just lucky? Detroit still sucks? Post 'em all here, and laugh. Laugh long and hard. After all, everyone hates us, and we don't care. Because we are the champions, and their worst nightmare has come true. Again.

:champs:

"I hope Detroit riots itself into the ground tonight. May the city burn."

This one's especially funny because I read several articles about how well-behaved people in Detroit, Royal Oak, etc. were with their improptu celebrations. They must have confused us with Montreal.

"Hopefully their plane with crash tonight on the way back to the s*** hole of America, Detoilet."[/i]

Um, not funny. And coming from a Blues fan? Have they been to St. Louis?

Classic! I love it, especially the comment about not getting past the Hawks, which fails to realize that the Hawks weren't good enough to get into the playoffs in the first place.

I don't care about other teams' fans.

though, I'm enjoying the fact that guys like Emrick and Pierre finally

shut up with their man-love to Sindy. and that despite all the effort

some refs put into handing the series to Penguins the better team

(by far margin) still prevailed.

and the fact that I'll no longer have to listen to those orgasms about

Crosby taking stride and touching the puck - it's a huge relief to me.

NBC and CBC were brutal in pushing Sindy into my mouth...

You notice that everyone remember Crosby, but no one else got very good coverage in that series. Hossa? A little. Malkin, also a little. Lindstrom, Zets, and Dats got more than them, but less than Crosby. Crosby is the face of the new NHL so he was pushed more than normal. I don't blame the announcers for pushing Crosby. I blame the NHL for not pushing their stars more until now.

Why are you dragging Doc into this? He's extremely unbiased and fair.

Why are you dragging Doc into this? He's extremely unbiased and fair.

I'd not call him unbiased but yeah, he's not that bad here. there's been

worse guys covering the final series alone

I can understand people hating the Wings and not wanting us to win. But, wishing the plane crashes and everyone dies? That's just beyond the pall. I would call whoever said that "psychotic".

Edited by Electrophile

I haven't looked at any Avs or Leafs boards, but I'm sure you'd find similar sentiments.

Feel free to post additional idiotic, bitter comments or excuses from rival fans, co-workers, or online sycophants. Conspiracy theories? The Wings were just lucky? Detroit still sucks? Post 'em all here, and laugh. Laugh long and hard. After all, everyone hates us, and we don't care. Because we are the champions, and their worst nightmare has come true. Again.

:champs:

There's actually a lot of posters on the Av's board that were rooting for the Wings. Mainly because we beat them...like they say, if you're going to lose, at least lose to the champs.

"Detroit sucks and wouldn't have made it past the 1st round if they played the Hawks."[/i]

Now I really can't wait to watch the Wings at the United Center next season. While wearing championship Wings' gear, of course.

I can understand people hating the Wings and not wanting us to win. But, wishing the plane crashes and everyone dies? That's just beyond the pall. I would call whoever said that "psychotic".

Agreed.

Reminds me of when we had a UHL team. There were a few times when the wonderful fans of Ft. Wayne, Indiana, told us they hoped we and/or our players didn't make it home. Scary part is, I think they were serious. I admit some of our fans, especially when drunk, could be obnoxious as hell in the other team's barn when we won. But I'd never wish death on anyone over a freaking hockey game.

Like I really care what Blues fans have to say. For the most part, that is one of the most bitter, spite-filled, worthless fanbases in all of sports. Bottom five, IMO, right there with the Boston Red Sox and Maryland Terrapins. 90% of them have this deep-seated hatred of everything Wingish and Detroity, because they had a really good contending team in the late '90s and early '00s and got smacked down by the Wings something like 5 separate times.

I like comments like this better:

The better team won.

The Wings transition game was amazing. They had 1 or 2 tape to tape passes and were flying through the neutral zone with speed and gained the Pens blueline with ease almost every time.

Their gap control on defense in all areas of the ice was impeccable.

I underestimated the Franzens, Samuelssons, Filpullas, etc. They were like interchangeable parts of the old Red Army hockey machine.

Here's a knowledgeable guy who isn't afraid to admit he was overconfident before and that the Wings showed him different. More than a touch of class there.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
There's actually a lot of posters on the Av's board that were rooting for the Wings. Mainly because we beat them...like they say, if you're going to lose, at least lose to the champs.

yea.. its wierd i used to hate the avalanceh but now i always wish them well just for the sake of the rivalry. I read their boards during our series and they were giving us props.

sounds bad to say it but....

Avalanche are quickly becomming one of my alternate teams to root for when in reg season when wings arent playing along with nash, montreal, and calgary.

I wouldn't go so far as to say my Avs friends here in Denver were rooting for the Wings - but a few of them did call me to say congratulations. And yes, some of them felt if they were to get smoked, might as well be by the eventual champs.

Didn't go out today - cannot wait to wear my Wings shirt around Denver Friday and out Friday night. :)

yea.. its wierd i used to hate the avalanceh but now i always wish them well just for the sake of the rivalry. I read their boards during our series and they were giving us props.

sounds bad to say it but....

Avalanche are quickly becomming one of my alternate teams to root for when in reg season when wings arent playing along with nash, montreal, and calgary.

A few of their writers for the newspapers I think are secret Wings fans - wrote complimentary articles about the Wings all during the series - AND continued to cover the NHL and the Wings after they lost. Terry Frei in particular keeps writing about the Wings in the Denver newspapers. Maybe they're finally realizing when they see great hockey! :rolleyes:

The only thing I hated with NBC's coverage was the joygasm they had anytime they could even mention Crosby....

My biggest complaint was last night when Franzen was backchecking, DOVE and knocked the puck away from the on rushing penguin player and right to the Wings D-man who inturn made a nice pass and moved it back up the ice, and all the nbc announcers said was, "And Franzen knocks the puck away from the pens forward"

On the other hand, any time Sidney Crosby even skated back into his own zone when the wings had the puck, the Announcers made sure everyone knew "WHAT A GREAT BACKCHECK by Sidney Crosby"

I mean FFS that was annoying as all get out!

Add to that, the utter lack of any kind of Biased pregame, I dont ever think I saw a story/open about the Wings, it was all about the Pens...

Didn't go out today - cannot wait to wear my Wings shirt around Denver Friday and out Friday night. :)

you and Terry both, he wore his Datsyuk jersey to work today proudly :) I'm sure he'll be sporting his stuff all weekend though... :P

I have to admit,it sure seemed like the league wanted Crosby to win the cup.I don't see how Crosby winning the cup can make much impact on the league as a whole.