• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
12Newf

Therrien's players don't like playing for him

Rate this topic

I found this article on SLAM and i was pretty surprised to hear that staal and orpik despise playing for Therrien. according to the author, they arent the only ones either. here is the link http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Simmo...779546-sun.html

PITTSBURGH -- Sidney Crosby's first trip to the Stanley Cup final is not expected to be his last.

But the world is about to get very complicated for Ray Shero, general manager, of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who has a bevy of internal issues he must deal with after the Stanley Cup is presented.

For one thing, there is a brewing problem between coach Michel Therrien and some of his players -- a number of them despise playing for him.

No one will choose the Stanley Cup final as a forum to call out their coach but there are far too many whispers out there that too many players can't stand working for -- or with-- Therrien.

If that isn't an issue to be dealt with immediately, it is certainly something that will grow with time. Brooks Orpik, the free agent defenceman who will be coveted by many teams after July 1, has told people he will not re-sign in Pittsburgh if Therrien is the coach. Jordan Staal, the terrific young player who lives in the shadow of Crosby and Evgeni Malkin -- but is poised to bust out as one of the most complete centres in hockey -- is another Therrien complainer.

If there are more, Shero may have a difficult decision to make. Add to that the belief that part-owner Mario Lemieux hasn't been impressed with Therrien's work in the playoffs and that's another problem for Shero.

As if he needed more issues: Almost half his roster is unsigned for next season. He paid heavily to bring in Marian Hossa at the trade deadline. The trade has paid off -- at least in the short term. Hossa has dispelled any beliefs that he isn't a playoff performer.

But Hossa is a free agent, and it's hard to imagine Pittsburgh has the money to sign him when it has to find a way to sign Evgeny Malkin and Staal (after next season) and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, a restricted free agent. With Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury and defencemen Sergei Gonchar and Ryan Whitney potentially signed for the long-term, it doesn't give Shero much room for salary manipulation in the future.

Hossa and Ryan Malone, possibly the best wingers on the Pens, are both free agents come July 1. Orpik, one half of the No. 1 defence pairing, is also free as are many of the character players such as Gary Roberts, Pasqual Dupuis, Jarkko Ruutu, Adam Hall and Georges Laraque.

In addition, the Pens have Darryl Sydor signed for next season at $2.5 million US, a contract they may buy out for the part-time defenceman.

Which means what for Shero, who won't discuss many of these issues publicly? He needs to find a way to make Malkin and Staal happy, find a way to settle his coaching situation and find a way to fill out almost half his roster while losing some of his most significant leaders and role players along the way.

The challenge is immense.

I am almost positive you can not "buy out" a contract... that was only allowed immediately following the work stoppage. $2.5 million for Sydor is ugly for sure, though.

I am almost positive you can not "buy out" a contract... that was only allowed immediately following the work stoppage. $2.5 million for Sydor is ugly for sure, though.

They can buy him out this summer - they have to pay him 2/3 of the salary and the cap hit is over a two year period.

Sydor is scheduled to make 2.5 mil so his buyout value would be 1.67 million and the cap hit would be $833,333 each year for the next 2 years.

Can't say I'm surprised...

1. He's a garbage coach.

2. Think about how ridiculous/annoying he is at the press conferences. And that's just after a couple minutes. Imagine if you had to work for the guy and hear from him EVERY DAY.

What type of website is this? I mean to me, just another excuse right now. If it's true, just poor timing.

its SunMedia, this guy steve simmons is an ass so I'm not surprised. I'm just not sure how much truth there is to this.

Hes a piss poor coach, he lacks a lot of experience, you arent a great coach when you are handed a team, you have to be like Babcock and Bowman and take a nowhere team to the top first. And even than some cant go that next step (Wilson).

Edited by Shaman464

How's our cap space look for this off-season? Having Zetterberg and Osgood for bargain-bin prices for at least another season would seems as though we've got a fair amount of cap space to work with. Imagine the insult added to injury if we were to swipe up Orpik or (unlikely) Hossa.

How's our cap space look for this off-season? Having Zetterberg and Osgood for bargain-bin prices for at least another season would seems as though we've got a fair amount of cap space to work with. Imagine the insult added to injury if we were to swipe up Orpik or (unlikely) Hossa.

So, then we become the team that snags players from the teams we beat in the playoffs? Unlike losing Fedorov, Schneider, D-Mac... :P

(yeah, yeah, I know, D-Mac was bought out after the lockout...just play along with me... :P)

So, people get mad when Wing players sign with a team that beats us last year and now, people say "Hurry up and sign players from the team we beat this year."

Huh.

Interesting.

It's called being selfish. :)

I don't doubt people would like to get away from Therrien... but I don't want any of the Penguins. No offense to some of their better players, but I like the people we have. We have copious amounts of potential, amazing proven players, some elite veterans... there's no better combination of talent in the NHL than what we possess. Flat out.

I don't doubt people would like to get away from Therrien... but I don't want any of the Penguins. No offense to some of their better players, but I like the people we have. We have copious amounts of potential, amazing proven players, some elite veterans... there's no better combination of talent in the NHL than what we possess. Flat out.

I think a couple guys that might not hurt to trade up are Samuelson and Lilja. If you can replace those two with Orpik and Staal, who wouldn't do that?

YOu just got two young, talented players who have stanley cup final experience.