• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grim

Previous Post-Cup Moves

Rate this topic

Curious, does anyone know/remember what offseason moves were done by the Wings after the 1998 Cup? the 2002 Cup?? Will Ken Holland be aggressive with additions this summer?

After the '97 Cup:

Subtractions:

-Tim Taylor and Tomas Sandstrom left as UFA's

-Mike Vernon traded to SJ

Additions:

-Brent Gilchrist (UFA)

Mike Vernon was traded to make Osgood the no. 1. Taylor played half the season and only saw 2 playoff games and ended up going to Boston. Sandstrom was nothing spectacular and ended up signing with Anaheim for a year before going back to Sweden. Brent Gilchrist was to be a 2nd/3rd line forward but most of the 4/5 seasons he spent in Detroit he was injured. He only played 5 games in 98/99.

after the '98 Cup:

Subtractions:

-Dmitri Mironov and Bob Rouse left as UFA's

-Fetisov retired

-Mike Knuble got traded to the Rangers

Additions

-Uwe Krupp (UFA)(a horrible failure)

Mironov was supposed to be good 1st/2nd pairing defensemen but ultimately lost his job to highly underrated depth addition Jamie Macoun, and signed with Washington. Bob Rouse signed with San Jose. Detroit wanted Fetisov to return, but as the 6th/7th guy on the back end. He declined as he would have rather played every game and ultimately retired. Mike Knuble got traded to the Rangers for I beleive some draft picks. Uwe Krupp was supposed to ultimately replace Konstantinov but ended up playing 20 some games before being hurt and then suspended for dog-sledding while hurt.

After the '02 Cup

Subtractions

-Freddy Olausson and Jiri Slegr left as UFA's

-Steve Duchesne and Hasek retired (for the first time each)

Additions:

-Curtis Joseph (UFA)

-Dmirti Bykov and Henrik Zetterberg both crossed the pond and became regulars for 02/03

IIRC, Olausson initially retired but then signed with Anaheim later in the summer. Jiri Slegr only played 1 playoff game for us and was ultimately a depth addition at the deadline. He ended up signing in Europe before coming back with Vancouver in 03/04. Duchesne and Hasek retired after finally winning the cup. Joseph was the only big addition, most others were replaced from within. Slegr and Olausson were replaced by a combination of Jesse Wallin, Max Kuznetsov and Dmitri Bykov. We really didn't lose any of our regular forwards, room for Zetterberg was there when Yzerman missed most of the year recovering from surgery.

In conclusion, it seems for the most part we let go of some depth players (Rouse and Taylor) and/or trade deadline acquisitions that didn't pan out (Sandstrom, Mironov and Slegr), and/or 1 or 2 players retire. Most of the added players make sense in replacing players that left.

I think this summer will be like the summer of '97, meaning most of the team will stay intact.

In 1997, we shipped out Mike Vernon. We also lost Konstantinov due to the accident.

In 1998, in the best deal of all time, we signed UWE KRUPP to replace the departing All-Star Dmitri Mironov, who had been acquired at the deadline and promptly went on to perform as the 6th best defenseman on the team. Krupp would play 30 games for the Wings during his 4 year contract,

In 2002, we lost Hasek, Duchesne, and Olausson. They were replaced by the trading deadline with Joseph, Schneider, and Woolley. We also lost Uwe Krupp at this point, but he barely counted and only played in the first two games of the playoffs before being replaced by Olausson. Krupp was replaced on the roster by Will Stoneman.

At the moment we have around 30 guys on the team. That said, Holland's big worry won't be about making any big moves, rather it will be who goes. Obviously, some of those guys go back down to the minors.

However, I wouldn't count out a possible big free agent signing. We still have that cap room we saved for the deadline, and obviously the cap will be going up. Of course, some of that will be filled by some players that are getting well deserved raises.... (Osgood, Cleary etc.)

In 1997, we shipped out Mike Vernon. We also lost Konstantinov due to the accident.

In 1998, in the best deal of all time, we signed UWE KRUPP to replace the departing All-Star Dmitri Mironov, who had been acquired at the deadline and promptly went on to perform as the 6th best defenseman on the team. Krupp would play 30 games for the Wings during his 4 year contract,

In 2002, we lost Hasek, Duchesne, and Olausson. They were replaced by the trading deadline with Joseph, Schneider, and Woolley. We also lost Uwe Krupp at this point, but he barely counted and only played in the first two games of the playoffs before being replaced by Olausson. Krupp was replaced on the roster by Will Stoneman.

Mironov didn't even end at #6. He was either babysitting Dandenault, Knuble, Ward, Maracle and all the other black aces in the pressbox or icing Gilchrists nasty groin injury after the first couple rounds of the playoffs. He lost his spot to Macoun.

Edited by DSM

bykov was awesome. that sucked when he left.

To be honest I don't remember much of him.

A good chunk of the core of our 97 and 98 cup didn't leave until before the '02 cup. Aaron Ward couldn't take Bowman anymore and demanded a trade, Chris Osgood got replaced by Hasek, Slava Kozlov got traded for Hasek, Martin Lapointe left to be overpaid by Boston, and Larry Murphy and Doug Brown weren't resigned and ultimately retired.

bykov was awesome. that sucked when he left.

Bykov? You must be thinking of someone else. Bykov was atrocious. He was Russia's version of Lilja. Theres a reason his NHL career was very short.

Everyone else has the additions/subtractions right on, and I suspect itll go similarly this year. The only potential movements are Hasek, Chelios, Lilja, Downey, McCarty, Drake, and Stuart, who is really the only key here. All depth guys more or less.

It's clear to me that we need to sign someone who is hungry for the Cup, in order to infect this team and keep them from growing complacent. We need hungry palyers, and maybe that is why our moves post-Cup before didn't work. We didn't try to keep that fire going. Or maybe we did.

But you can never have too much depth, and if there's someone out there who can throw up a few points without being a liability, go for it.

Re-watching the 1997 and 1998 finals really made me appreciate Rouse. I was sad to see him go. He added a surly toughness and team support guy you want.

I thought we were really going places when we got CuJo, but he seemed to only play his best against the wings.

Aaron Ward couldn't take Bowman anymore and demanded a trade

Must be why he was so chippy in 2002 in the playoffs. Nobody seemed to be madder at the wings than him. LOL

Bykov? You must be thinking of someone else. Bykov was atrocious. He was Russia's version of Lilja. Theres a reason his NHL career was very short.

Everyone else has the additions/subtractions right on, and I suspect itll go similarly this year. The only potential movements are Hasek, Chelios, Lilja, Downey, McCarty, Drake, and Stuart, who is really the only key here. All depth guys more or less.

How is Brad Stuart a Depth guy? Did I misunderstand this? He was Awesome I'd love to see him stay I hope they resign him.

I bet Drake retires on top. I'd sut assume replace Mac with Downey I'm glad he got his life back he didn't impress me sorry Mac Hasek can go anytime Chelly can stay as long as he can contribute. And Lilja is a reliable liability.

Bykov was a good solid dman, but thats not really why I quoted or posted.

Didn't the Wings do something to get Igor back from Florida i believe?

Re-watching the 1997 and 1998 finals really made me appreciate Rouse. I was sad to see him go. He added a surly toughness and team support guy you want.

I thought we were really going places when we got CuJo, but he seemed to only play his best against the wings.

Must be why he was so chippy in 2002 in the playoffs. Nobody seemed to be madder at the wings than him. LOL

Like seeing the respect for Bob Rouse!

Bykov was a good solid dman, but thats not really why I quoted or posted.

Didn't the Wings do something to get Igor back from Florida i believe?

Florida Panthers traded Igor Larionov to the Detroit Red Wings for Yan Golubovsky.

:rotflmao:

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25