• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gnredwing

NBC made me sick because....

Rate this topic

...all this reminds me of when the NHL had it's "NEXT ONE." Remember when Eric Lindros was the savior and everything was about him? Well look what happened to him with all the pressure of saving the NHL on his shoulders. Good Luck Sidney, don't put your head down too much thinking your untouchable or immune from an open ice "shiver..."

You know, things could be a lot worse. Imagine if Crosby was playing for the Rangers? How many cups did Stevie Y. win? Three, and yet how often do you see NHL advertising show him lifting the cup compared to Messier when the Rangers won? I guess the NHL will just have to keep showing Messier until Sidney wins one, and then we'll get sick of seeing that one too.

I think most of us have no problem with Crosby, or with Pittsburgh. After all, Pitt is kind of like Detroit and Cleveland - working class, rust-belt cities, who get no respect from the rest of the country. It's just the incessant hype that gets us upset.

Thats marketing for you though, the NHL has picked their horse so the broadcasters rode it for all its worth, just like the other examples listed in this thread from other sports. All that matters is that all the right people took home the trophies.

Myself I thought Zetterberg rode him for all he was worth! LOL

Pittsburgh has a team full of young up-and-coming stars and Sidney Crosby is a good start of the first thing an average Joe Blow might think of who probably doesn't watch the NHL much. Of course they'll want Pitt to win first b/c that's the team/player that most people will probably identify with first.

We're not saying don't give him his due. We're saying we don't like the bias commentating. Maybe they should Hire Messier full time he calls it like it is.

You know what I'm tired of?

All these POINTLESS threads complaining and whining about how much attention Crosby was getting...

Why don't you just keep feeding to the hype by continue creating Crosby/Pens threads that discuss how much attention they got

WE ALL KNOW ALREADY

WE WON IT, ITS OVER, TIME TO MOVE ON....

Jeesh

I agree 'cept I do want to complain that they ended the broadcast before we got to see them pose for the group photo. I'm not sure, but I don't remember that happening before. NBC sucks

You left out one MAJOR reason as well which is more important than all the others:

8. He led the league in scoring last year and would have done so AGAIN this year had he not missed 30 games due to injury.

People act like its some huge stretch to call him the best player in the league right now when it isn't and his stats back that up. That being said, stats don't win you the Cup and that is a lesson Crosby had to learn firsthand this year. Detroit had the better team even though Pittsburgh had the best individual player on the ice. Sometimes that happens. Those that can't seem to deal with Crosby being one of THE dominant players in the league are going to find it awefully painful to watch hockey for the next 15 years because he is only going to get better and better year after year so get used to his ugly little mug. Its here to stay.

He was largely ineffective other than Game 3. He got shut down.

And its not his playing ability that bothers every one its the bias through out the league. When the Refs wont even call the game fairly that turns off fans.

I work with people who say they wont watch because they dont understand how this is hooking and that isn't etc.

What are we supposed to tell people like that? "Oh its because its Crosby there are different rules for HIM"?

Not to mention that no one likes a cry baby and thats what he is.

Guest LivingtheDream

NBC = Nothing But Crosby

Oh well, this kind of thing is bound to happen. Nobody can take the time to understand the entire story of a team, series or league so it has to be packaged and boiled down into one simple minded cliche of a story. Still, they picked the wrong story and it looks kind of silly now. My non fan neighbors watched the last two games all on their own and all they could talk about is how Detroit "ran the show" made it "fun to watch" - we are talking puck possession and D baby.

Hey at least there was some improvement over last year's covergae. I mean... they didn't cut away to horse racing during a game this year.

They would have if the hockey game was in OT and the Derby was running. Make no mistake about it. They get more money from the Derby than they do from the NHL.

As I like the say, "Despite the refs best efforts the Wings still managed to win!" :P

That has to be the dumbest statement I have ever heard. The fact that I have to see people mentioning that the refs were against us the whole time makes me ill. Lets get a few things straight here....

1. The refs weren't against us. The Wings got more power play chances in the series than the Pens did.

2. The conspiracy theories that the NHL wanted the Pens to win and the refs just couldn't deliver it to them is a huge crock of s***.

3. Let NBC and the NHL coverage on other stations all hump Crosby's leg. In that series, how many times did you hear about the Detroit stars? Not much. What about the other pens players? Not much. It was all Crosby, and if the NHL wants to primp him to be the next star, thats fine. The NHL has had a problem with star power in the last 10 years. Bettmen should have been getting star players other than Crosby and Ovechkin ahead and in the starlight of the NHL. Players like Zets and Dats from detroit. What about Paul Stasny from the Avalanche? What about Backstrom from the Caps? What about Eric Staal from Carolina? I can name a lot of young stars that should be promoted heavily and if they were back when they were rookies, they would be big stars today.

The incessant whining about this on this forum is getting tiring. Especially after we capture the cup.

Did anyone else get sick of tired of NBC trying to sell Crosby and make him the center of attention no matter what. I remember in game 2 the Wings are up 3-0 and that idiot inbetween the benches is going on how Crosby is so good and how hes really battling. It seemed they would never give the Wings credit and even when the Wings are winning, its still mainly about Crosby. Crosby is a great player, but I dont think he would be as great a player if he didnt have the refs all on his side and the entire nhl association pulling for him to do well so the Nhl could get back to being a prime sport. The Wings have in my opinion 3 of the top 5 players in the world (Lidstrom, Zetterberg, and Datsyk) and I think Lidstrom is a better player than Crosby, plus hes not a whiny, bitchy cry baby like Crosby is. Maybe if NBC wasnt so favorsim towards the Pens and Crosby, the games would be much more enjoyable to watch.

That idiot is Pierre McGuire who is a French Canadian and hence his praise for Sidney. I've lived in Canada for a while before and I know how they hate American teams. Its really a shame that these networks put people on air who basically just talk about Crosby and how he outclasses the opponents 'all the time'. I suppose they're just trying to use him to change NHL's sagging image to get more viewers. Yeah the guys is good but as Ovechkin is who basically just gets blown away by the TV in comparision to Crosby. I wonder when Sidney will man up and get into a scrap, that'd be fun to watch.

Did anyone else get sick of tired of NBC trying to sell Crosby and make him the center of attention no matter what. I remember in game 2 the Wings are up 3-0 and that idiot inbetween the benches is going on how Crosby is so good and how hes really battling. It seemed they would never give the Wings credit and even when the Wings are winning, its still mainly about Crosby. Crosby is a great player, but I dont think he would be as great a player if he didnt have the refs all on his side and the entire nhl association pulling for him to do well so the Nhl could get back to being a prime sport. The Wings have in my opinion 3 of the top 5 players in the world (Lidstrom, Zetterberg, and Datsyk) and I think Lidstrom is a better player than Crosby, plus hes not a whiny, bitchy cry baby like Crosby is. Maybe if NBC wasnt so favorsim towards the Pens and Crosby, the games would be much more enjoyable to watch.

Thats why I switched to CBC! At least over there I only have to her Crosby's name less than 100 times compared to the 300 times NBC says. The more the media tries to force feed Crosby down my throat the more I will dislike the the silver spooned kid.

I really want to try to understand the other side of the fence since I'm probably one of the very few to where promoting the hell out of Crosby doesn't get to me.

What's the reason why most of you are sick of the Crosby promoting?

Is it Crosby himself? Do you all think they should market somebody else heavily (outside of Ovechkin)?

Is it the NHL in general for putting most/all of their eggs in one basket, Crosby being the "basket"? Promote more stars?

Is it just a "Red Wings" thing to where you want more focus on the Red Wings?

Anything else I'm not considering or am I asking the wrong questions?

Maybe you all do get what I am about to say, but from the angry posts towards all the focus I don't see it. There are definitely other marketing alternatives, but I don't see the harm in one of the alternatives being promoting the hell out of Crosby since he's so young and so talented and looks to have so much upside in terms of production on the ice and potentially leadership. Not a hard marketing concept to me. What's wrong with that, and what's wrong with him or the NHL in doing this?

EDIT: NC WINGS FAN answered my question(s) to some degree while I typed this post. Any other reasons?

I can't speak for everyone, but to me, and what i gather from the first post from the O.P. it isn't so much of the leauge promoting Crosby to sell the game. that's fine. It's more of a fact of it seemed less of the Wings won the cup and more of Pitts lost it, does that make sense? I mean after the first period the Wings were up in the game when they go to commercial what do they show, game winner from game 5 with graphics that froze at the end of the highlight saying "Pittsburgh Wins". Now i know they meant game 5, and it was probably just some sort of technical issue, but that's the kind of stuff that was bugging me. Promoting the game and even just one player is fine i guess, but come on this is the finals, there's a whole lot of great stories from the Wings side of it too. Sure when Pittsburgh was steamrolling sub-par competition that was more understandable. But even when Pittsburgh did some things against the Wings it was "Crosby says get on my back, I'm carrying everyone", when there was a whole lot of other hard work put into those goals. Sure he made a decent play on his first of two, nothing hall of fame worthy as they made it out to be. And a tap in at the side of the net, hardly Stevie Y on one knee in '02. Sure they can play up to the casual or new fan. Push there golden boy and all that, but why forget about the fans that have been here all along? And that goes beyond Crosmania to rule changes and all of that. But that's another topic. I guess I think they should've done some 50/50 coverage or even more for the Wings since they won. Not 70/30 pitts even today, after the Wings are the Champs.

That idiot is Pierre McGuire who is a French Canadian and hence his praise for Sidney. I've lived in Canada for a while before and I know how they hate American teams. Its really a shame that these networks put people on air who basically just talk about Crosby and how he outclasses the opponents 'all the time'. I suppose they're just trying to use him to change NHL's sagging image to get more viewers. Yeah the guys is good but as Ovechkin is who basically just gets blown away by the TV in comparision to Crosby. I wonder when Sidney will man up and get into a scrap, that'd be fun to watch.

I don't follow.