• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
B.B.

Off-Season moves

Rate this topic

the only way Stuart walks is if he doesn't want to be here. I hear his wife may have custody restrictions to stay in California (children from previous marriage). You can bet that Kenny already has a decent offer set out for him on the table.

Why would you want smith and not stuart? smith is 35 and stu's 28 i think. I like him way more than smith and they play the same type of hockey... keep stu. he won a cup here and in my book is a detroiter now.

I have no problem signing Stuart I just think for $3.5 mill they're may be better options. Smith is 35 but we only need him as a placeholder as our D core progresses in Grand Rapids for a year or two. Smith would come so much cheaper and is usually much more responsible in front of his net and not putting himself out of position for big hits.

eh people are adding in way too much to a team that just proved to be pretty fing dominant in this post season. I wouldn't change too much to be honest.

in the offseason,

Re negotiate Z's contract

Offer Stuart a max of 4 mil

Re negotiate Franzen's contract

lock Babcock and his assistants up

This team is loaded with prospects, and by the trade deadline we'll know our needs to the point that we can afford to trade them away if we need to. A bright spot I think people are forgetting is that Kopecky was really starting to shine right before he got injured. This could very well be a break out season for him and Helm.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filpulla-Samuelson

Cleary-Draper-Hudler

Leino-Helm-Kopecky

Maltby/McCarty

That RW spot on the second line could very will be taken by Hudler/Leino/Kopecky depending on how they play as well.

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Lilja-Ericsson

Lebda/Meech

I wouldn't mind looking into D. Markov if Stuart falls through(though obviously he's not worth $4 million)

Edited by omnipotent_hudler

For the love of god please do not re-sign Hasek. Its time to move on, and give Howard a chance! I am also assuming Drake would like to retire on top, so i will not be putting him in the lineup. I do hope that Helm and Abdelkader both make the lineup next year. I also wouldn't mind signing Rolston, but it isn't a priority or anything like that.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Franzen - Filppula - Rolston

Cleary - Draper - Sammy

Hudler - Helm - Abdelkader/ Maltby

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericcson - Lebda

Healthy Scrathes:

Kopecky Meech

McCarty Quincey

Leino

My top priority would be resigning Downey, but thats cuz the guy is my hero and I will miss him deeply if he doesn't return.

I'm just going to elaborate on everyone who was on the roster during the playoffs, including black aces.

Returning Main roster Forwards:

1.Zetterberg

2.Datsyuk

3.Holmstrom

4.Samuelsson

5.Franzen

6.Draper

7.Hudler

8.Filppula-Even tho he is an RFA, you'd be crazy to doubt he would be returning

9.Maltby

10.Kopecky

11.Cleary

Forwards returning who are still exempt from waivers:

1.Helm - Impressive in the playoffs, but could still go back to GR to further improve or create main roster space

2.Abdelkader - 99.9% chance of starting in GR next year and will most likely tear it up

3.Ritola - GR

UFA's

1.Drake - Popular belief is that he will retire

2.McCarty - Obviously still has it in him and is popular with the fans, would most likely return as a #12/13 forward

3.Downey - Could also be retained, would still fit his #13/14 spot very well and would still be a good fit with the team

4.Hartigan - 06/07's Josh Langfeld for 07/08. Is most likely the first odd man out.

Other:

1.Leino - Will be a complete suprise whatever he turns out to be. I haven't heard anything that has really sold me on him yet.

With our returning 11 forwards it seems we will have 2-3 spots open to either re-sign 1-2 of our UFA forward, sign an outside AFA or 2, or allow some youngsters to compete for them.

========================================================

Defense

Returning Dmen

1.Lidstrom

2.Rafalski

3.Kronwall

4.Lebda

5.Meech

Returning that are waiver exempt

1.Ericsson - Won't make the team unless he has an absolutely phenomenal camp and preseason, but won't be any room anyway. He'll be in GR for 1 more year

2.Kindl - Struggled in GR, so that is where he will most likely stay.

Returning D that will need to clear waivers:

1.Quincey - Will be in the same boat that Meech was in this past season. I've already read somewhere that he will be on the team next year.

UFA's:

1.Stuart - Could still be up in the air at this point. I still remember reading that he wanted to keep his family in California. I really don't know where this one will go.

2.Lilja - Rejected a 2 year offer earlier in the season. My thinking is that he hasn't been happy the last couple of seasons not having a regular spot (having to alternate with Lebda early on in 06/07, and losing his spot to Lebda for a while in the playoffs). I'm betting he wants to test the market for a team that can offer him a more secure spot.

3.Chelios - Has expressed a desire to return, and Holland will most likely oblige.

Counting Chelios and Quincey, we have 7 Dmen for next year. If both Stuart and Lilja re-sign, we'll have 9 meaning 1 or 2 will be moved somehow. In my opinion Quincey will be a cheaper replacement for Lilja. It's possible we could rollout 13 forwards and 8 defensemen, but seeing how our #7 guy from this past season only played 32, it would probably be a waste of a roster spot to have 8.

==========================================

Goalie

Returning

1.Osgood

Returning that are waiver exempt... I think:

1.Howard - will backup Osgood if Hasek does not return, if not he spends 1 more year in GR

UFA's

1.Hasek - May retire, however if he returns he is Osgoods backup

===========================================================

In conclusion, it seems the only place players may be added is up front, we seem to be set on D and in net.

Other:

1.Larsson - I read somewhere on here that someone was expecting him to play as Osgoods backup. You are completely wrong, he has a long road ahead of him.

For the love of god please do not re-sign Hasek. Its time to move on, and give Howard a chance! I am also assuming Drake would like to retire on top, so i will not be putting him in the lineup. I do hope that Helm and Abdelkader both make the lineup next year. I also wouldn't mind signing Rolston, but it isn't a priority or anything like that.

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Franzen - Filppula - Rolston

Cleary - Draper - Sammy

Hudler - Helm - Abdelkader/ Maltby

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericcson - Lebda

Healthy Scrathes:

Kopecky Meech

McCarty Quincey

Leino

Once you factor in Goaltenders, you will have 26 players on that roster......

1.Leino - Will be a complete suprise whatever he turns out to be. I haven't heard anything that has really sold me on him yet.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Leino making the squad next year - I read an article a while back on RWC where his own coach from Finland questioned whether he had the speed or skating ability to make it in the nhl. It also sounded like he hangs on to puck too long against the boards although the coach credited his work ethic and determination.

If you go to the Finland Forum on the HF boards there is a lot of doubt as to whether he would be able to make it in the nhl on any team let alone the Wings roster.

Let's hope he can elevate his game and prove them wrong...

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
I wouldn't put too much stock in Leino making the squad next year - I read an article a while back on RWC where his own coach from Finland questioned whether he had the speed or skating ability to make it in the nhl. It also sounded like he hangs on to puck too long against the boards although the coach credited his work ethic and determination.

If you go to the Finland Forum on the HF boards there is a lot of doubt as to whether he would be able to make it in the nhl on any team let alone the Wings roster.

Let's hope he can elevate his game and prove them wrong...

Ken Holland wouldnt have signed him had he not the skills to someday wear the winged wheel.

as for our rosters im still shaking my head at the maltby 3 year extension. That coudlve been Abdelkader

Part of me would really, really like to see Brian Rolston wearing the Winged Wheel next season. I think he's absolutely perfect for this team. He's a hometown guy (born in Flint) who is renowned for his two-way ability and he possesses one of the hardest shots in the league. I'm sure the Wild are doing everything they can to resign him, but if he hits the open market, look for the Wings to make a hard push to snag him. At least I hope they do. Put him on the second line with Filppula and Franzen and you'll have two dominant scoring lines, a really good looking checking line, and one of the best fourth lines in the league.

Holmstrom - Zetterberg - Datsyuk

Rolston - Filppula - Franzen

Cleary - Draper - Maltby

Samuelsson - Helm - Hudler

We'll see if it happens, but it would make me pretty damn happy. I'm not sure how much he's actually looking for and we have to think about extensions for Franzen and Zetterberg, so he could be unrealistic just based on price.

Edited by RWK23

I think status quo is the biggest thing here for the wings. They should extend Zetterberg now, and then see what they can do with cap space. I think bringing in Owen Nolan or a player like that will help this team stay gritty and provide emotional leadership. They have a lot of good young players, and I think they can win the cup next year with no major additions. I'd also like them to leave a little cap room to aquire an experienced back up goalie for the post season if Howard doesn't pan out.

Sign Babcock, Zetterberg, and Franzen all to extensions. Re-sign Stuart long-term. Re-sign McCarty and Downey for cheap contracts. Re-sign Chelios for depth. Sign maybe a depth player to add some more forward depth up-front in case of injuries. Sign another depth defenseman as well, as it never hurts to have depth on the blueline.

All in all, unlike years past, I really don't want the Wings to be that active once free agency starts. The big thing, for me, is that they lock up all of the important pieces on the taem right now that need contracts. Babcock is the best coach in the league, Zetterberg is the best all around player in the league, and Franzen has shown his ability to be a true goal scorer on this team. All of these need to be extended as soon as possible. Stuart is a must to re-sign as well; his role on this team had a tremendous impact these playoffs.

If all that is done, then we are looking in great shape for next season. I can't wait! :)

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Sign Babcock, Zetterberg, and Franzen all to extensions. Re-sign Stuart long-term. Re-sign McCarty and Downey for cheap contracts. Re-sign Chelios for depth. Sign maybe a depth player to add some more forward depth up-front in case of injuries. Sign another depth defenseman as well, as it never hurts to have depth on the blueline.

All in all, unlike years past, I really don't want the Wings to be that active once free agency starts. The big thing, for me, is that they lock up all of the important pieces on the taem right now that need contracts. Babcock is the best coach in the league, Zetterberg is the best all around player in the league, and Franzen has shown his ability to be a true goal scorer on this team. All of these need to be extended as soon as possible. Stuart is a must to re-sign as well; his role on this team had a tremendous impact these playoffs.

If all that is done, then we are looking in great shape for next season. I can't wait! :)

you do realise we already have a log jam of nhl ready defensemen in the ahl. Ericcson cant wait forever

you do realise we already have a log jam of nhl ready defensemen in the ahl. Ericcson cant wait forever

To keep Ericsson on the roster next year, unless he's absolutley ready or for sure would get a regular spot on the team, would be ridiculous.

As evidence of the 2007 playoffs, and last February, it never hurts to have capable defenseman that can step in for injury. Guys like Chelios, Meech, Quincey (whoever doesn't play regularly out of the three), and say another depth defenseman not named Andreas Lilja would be a great thing to have. You can't rely on inexpierenced rookies to step in and play seamlessly if the regulars go down.

As I said earlier, it's important first off that Babcock, Zetterberg, Franzen, and Stuart are all re-signed. After that, other options can be looked at for depth. We'll see what happens come this summer.

Cleary-Filpulla-Franzen

Helm-Draper-Maltby

Abdelkader-Kopecky-Downey

Scratches: McCarty Meech

Lidsrom Rafalski

Kronwall Stuart

Ericsson Lilja

Scratch: Lebda

Osgood

Howard

My views :D

Cleary-Filpulla-Franzen

Helm-Draper-Maltby

Lidsrom Rafalski

Kronwall Stuart

Ericsson Lilja

Osgood

Howard

Where's Hudler?

Where's Hudler?

Stands? Gutter? I dont know/care.

Having a few good games in the playoffs doesnt make up for a dreadful regular season for me... plus Ive never liked him <_< Taking up Downeys spot on the 4th line and doin f*** all with it. 1 point in 18 games was it at some stage?

Guys who WILL be on the roster next season (RFAs and signed contracts for players who are not waiver-exempt) are as follows:

F Datsyuk

F Cleary

F Zetterberg

F Holmstrom

F Draper

F Samuelsson

F Hudler

F Franzen

F Maltby

F Kopecky

F Filppula

D Lidstrom

D Rafalski

D Kronwall

D Meech

D Lebda

D Quincey

G Osgood

That's 11 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 1 goaltender; leaving room for 2 forwards, 1 defenseman, and 1 goalie, plus one additional player to max the roster at 23.

UFAs Drake, Downey, and Hasek are not expected back.

UFAs McCarty, Chelios, Lilja, and Stuart may return for full-time NHL duty.

UFA Hartigan may return with to Grand Rapids.

RFA Howard has one more year of waiver eligibility, but will likely be the backup if Hasek retires.

If all of McCarty, Chelios, Lilja, and Stuart were to resign, and assuming Howard gets the backup job, that would leave us with 12 forwards, 9 defenseman, and 2 goaltenders, for a total of 23 players. Reportedly, Holland would like to retain all four of those players. I would believe that Meech will see some time up front if Holland manages to sign all four, until the logjam on defense can be sorted out, likely by shipping out one of Lebda or Meech, or possibly even by converting Meech to forward full-time.

UFAs Drake, Downey, and Hasek are not expected back.

And you know this how?

Actually all 3 of them could potentially return. It wouldnt surprise me if 2 of those three came back next season.

Cleary-Filpulla-Franzen

Helm-Draper-Maltby

Lidsrom Rafalski

Kronwall Stuart

Ericsson Lilja

Osgood

Howard

Why would Abdelkader be on the 4th line? Especially over Hudler. He'll be with Grand Rapids for a couple years. Also, McCarty will be playing over Downey.

Why would u scratch Lebda over Lilja? Also Ericsson won't be with Detroit at the start either. Hasn't anybody noticed the Wings like to leave their players in the minors for a couple years? :blink:

Stands? Gutter? I dont know/care.

Having a few good games in the playoffs doesnt make up for a dreadful regular season for me... plus Ive never liked him <_< Taking up Downeys spot on the 4th line and doin f*** all with it. 1 point in 18 games was it at some stage?

While Downey seems like a quality guy, thankfully no one on the Wings would be insane enough to take him over Hudler.

Why would Abdelkader be on the 4th line? Especially over Hudler. He'll be with Grand Rapids for a couple years. Also, McCarty will be playing over Downey.

Why would u scratch Lebda over Lilja? Also Ericsson won't be with Detroit at the start either. Hasn't anybody noticed the Wings like to leave their players in the minors for a couple years? :blink:

you also have guys like Filp who move faster than expected. Ericsson looked fantastic in his stint up with us this year

Although I agree there's a good chance that Meech will be D #7 while Ericsson spends one more year in GR, I just really think he'll add some physical presence to our blue line and make it even better

e: either Lebda, Meech, or Quincy will be gone by next year. Good chance that'll be two of em too.

Edited by omnipotent_hudler

Why would Abdelkader be on the 4th line?

Why would u scratch Lebda over Lilja?

1) Hes played on that line already, he did fine.

2) Cos hes the man.

While Downey seems like a quality guy, thankfully no one on the Wings would be insane enough to take him over Hudler.

I am :shifty:

when I come to power...

Darren Helm impressed the hell outa me in the post season play. Although only recieving 4 pts in the post season, he rapidly caught my attention. Does anyone else think that he was one of the fastest wings out there on the ice? That and the 18 games he played in the playoffs, he was only in the box once for a minor penalty. Theres no doubt in my mind that this kid is going to be the next draper. This kid made Grig's look terrible... proves to all that hype has no power over skill

And you know this how?

Actually all 3 of them could potentially return. It wouldnt surprise me if 2 of those three came back next season.

I say that because the Wings have four open spots for skaters, and Holland wants to keep McCarty, Lilja, Stuart, and Chelios. Downey's chance of receiving a contract hinge greatly on which, if any, the Wings retain out of those four. The only chance Downey has of making the roster is if one of them, most likely Stuart or Lilja, does not return, and even then, Downey would be the 13th forward, and probably actually 14th behind Meech, who would be serving as a swingman. And that's assuming Wings brass wouldn't give that spot to Helm (assuming, of course, that McCarty is back) instead. If McCarty doesn't return, Downey is probably in that spot instead, serving as the 13th forward with Meech in for a regular role up front or a deal made that solves the defensive logjam.

And btw...

Hudler was one of the Wings' best players all playoff. So now the haters are like 'a few good playoff games won't make me forget a terrible regular season' when all season the haters were saying 'yeah, but he won't help us in the playoffs.'

Hudler is a good player. He was one of the team's top forwards all playoffs despite getting very limited time. Downey, OTOH, is a dime a dozen type with no hockey skills who is probably not coming back if McCarty does. Accept this.

Hudler was one of the Wings' best players all playoff. So now the haters are like 'a few good playoff games won't make me forget a terrible regular season' when all season the haters were saying 'yeah, but he won't help us in the playoffs.'

Hudler is a good player. He was one of the team's top forwards all playoffs despite getting very limited time. Downey, OTOH, is a dime a dozen type with no hockey skills who is probably not coming back if McCarty does. Accept this.

I never said anything along those lines. My anti-Hudler comments have been generic.

Downey is NOT a dime a dozen guy. Hes a top-10 heavyweight and a funny adorable guy at the same time, has incredible discipline and for a enforcer his puck skills arnt a reliability.

If Downey doesnt come back I'll cry for days...