• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey9019

Parade Attendance? 1.4 MILLION?

Rate this topic

Just got done checking out WDIV's (Ch 4) website, and noticed they said 1.4 million

Was this the largest parade? If I recall, the past parades were around and lower then a million.

1997 was 1.1 mil if I recall corectly

It was AWESOME down there...never seen so many people

But it wasn't "crushed like sardines" as I thought it may of

We were over at Cobo...I think the best place on the parade route ;)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/16501480/detail.html

How do they get this number? Pick a section, then multiply it, and divide some numbers and do some math geek stuff?

Edited by Hockey9019

Yes, it was hella good.

I wish they had like a mixer with loud music so everybody could dance, confetti would fall and balloons would go up therefore creating world peace.

That's what is felt like in my head.

Not sure i buy it... Michigan has 9.5 or 10 million people, roughly 900k in detroit, and 3.5 in the detroit area, inorder for this many people to of shown up youd need about 1 in 8 people in michigan to of shown up...

Not sure i buy it... Michigan has 9.5 or 10 million people, roughly 900k in detroit, and 3.5 in the detroit area, inorder for this many people to of shown up youd need about 1 in 8 people in michigan to of shown up...

Assuming only Michiganders went to the parade.

I know we saw alot of cars coming over from Canada when we came across. Lots of flags flying!!!

They could come up with 1.4 just by the rencen employees and fans. It's not that hard. Plus Compuare. Some forget that downtown swells during the day. If the parade was Sat or Sun. No way

I didn't know 1/3 of the states population was the metro Detroit area! You have to consider like someone else said,it was a work day. I'am sure all the office people in the area shutdown to watch the parade.Considering all the out of town workers,on a Friday there where around 4 million people in the area that day,I'am sure a little over a million could show up.

Edited by cupcrazy

What the hell are you all thinking about 1/3 of Michigan or 1 in 8

There were people from Ohio, Canada, Kentucky, California, Florida

I started wondering for a while if ANYONE was from Michigan

I can easily believe there were 1.4 million people there for the wings

Just crazzzzzy

crazzzzzzzy good though :)

It was a great crowd.... but I think 1+ million is a wee-bit of a stretch. My guess is that there were a couple hundred thousand tops. I doubt ~1.5x the total population of the City of Detroit was lining the parade route.

It was just awesome. Detroit knows how to throw a party, that's for sure. Congratulations to the residents of a state where the best team in the NHL proudly resides. All of the rest of us who live far (some of us very far) away were with that 1 million + in spirit. Some of us were with you online and hope no one at work was monitoring or noticed. :lol:

Great celebration for a great team! :thumbup:

It was a great crowd.... but I think 1+ million is a wee-bit of a stretch. My guess is that there were a couple hundred thousand tops. I doubt ~1.5x the total population of the City of Detroit was lining the parade route.

I went to the Cup parade in 2002. No way was there just a few hundred thousand. You've got people coming in from all over Michigan, Canada, and the surrounding states.

You would be surprised how many people from Windsor support the Red Wings and the Tigers.

What the hell are you all thinking about 1/3

I was just stating I didn't know 1/3 of the states population was the metro Detroit area.!f there are 9 million people in the state,and 3 million live in the area,thats 1/3 of the states population.That comment had nothing to do with the parade really,I was just stating I had no idea that many people lived in the area.

1M+ is NOT a stretch at all... there were people everywhere, at each turn of the parade route. the culmination in Hart is where they generally try and get a feel for how many fans made it out to support the team... albeit not everyone makes the trek down to the public address.

it's likely only a matter of time (if its not already available) that somebody posts an aerial view of Hart during the festivities. it will be at that point that most of you who are skeptical will turn the corner because all you will mostly see is a blanket of red and white.

and as somebody has already pointed out, it is ignorant to believe that only people from the great state of Michigan were the ones to make the event. in fact, i would be surprised if there weren't at least 15 areas of North America alone being represented, and that's not counting the other European nations in attendance.

what an amazing day for the team and the city. the only spoiler was the pathetic showing of Kwame but he did little to dispel his complete irresponsibility. the beer comment was one of the most ridiculous propositions to try and win back the heart of the community, regardless of whether or not he was caught in the moment. what a poor excuse for a leader.

God bless Hockeytown and the entire Detroit Red Wings organization, new and old!

I was just stating I didn't know 1/3 of the states population was the metro Detroit area.!f there are 9 million people in the state,and 3 million live in the area,thats 1/3 of the states population.That comment had nothing to do with the parade really,I was just stating I had no idea that many people lived in the area.

Ah alright, yeah I was just like oh...ok???

:P

Brian Rafalski, if I heard correctly said that the parade was much better than the parking lot rallies held in New Jersey.

I was unable to attend, but it just goes to show how fans of all Detroit teams love their players, when 1.4 million people show up. Someone said a ratio of 1 in 8, add in those who would have loved to be there (myself included), well, no question who has the best fans in sports!

I completely believe it. There were people EVERYWHERE. And I know LOADS of people that went from Ohio. (including myself and all of my friends)

That was a big time stretch. I know when your surrounded by tons of people, you can feel like theres more then there really are. If I had to guess, I'd say there was somewhere arond 500k-700k down there. 1.4 million just seems ridiculous. There was parking to be had EVERYWHERE, even just a block away from Woodward and 3 blocks from Hart Plaza around 11:30 (yeah I got there late) and I really expected there to be a problem with that.

But then again, if you take all the folks that left their jobs at one point or another to stop in (i.e. my father) then you'll definitely get up in the 1.4+ range easily. Good thing they didn't specify :P

Yeah, we couldn't hear anything he was saying there the 'boo's' and chants of 'you suck' were so loud. He probably knew that and said it so we could all ***** more about it later when we saw it on TV.