• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey9019

Parade Attendance? 1.4 MILLION?

Rate this topic

Yeah, we couldn't hear anything he was saying there the 'boo's' and chants of 'you suck' were so loud. He probably knew that and said it so we could all ***** more about it later when we saw it on TV.
why was he bood anyways?

Not sure i buy it... Michigan has 9.5 or 10 million people, roughly 900k in detroit, and 3.5 in the detroit area, inorder for this many people to of shown up youd need about 1 in 8 people in michigan to of shown up...

have you not been paying attention to the unemployment rates? Easily that many people may have had nothing better to do. :P (Sorry couldn't resist the poke and hope things start turning around soon)

Seriously though Metro has tons flights that hit all of the country and is huge so out of town Wings fans could easily have flown/drove in.

Well again, you are talking about a few square miles in downtown Detroit...I think its impossible to get 1.4 million people into such a small area, logistically, assuming that 1 in 3 or so had a car....that would mean 500,000 cars....even if it was 1 in 5 thats still a lot of parking...I think based on what i saw on tv the correct estimate would be around 400,000 or so. Just to give you an idea of how many people that is, if anyones ever been to a michigan game, thats 100,000 people, if you saw the parade on tv could you really say that there was 14x that many people in that small area? As for the Windsor argument, Windsor isnt a huge city, maybe 200k youre still talking about a huge migration of people into the city. As for people flying in, on an average day Metro handles 100,000 people (which includes layovers) so, still not plausible.

400,00 are you kidding me.thewre was people strecthed from hockey town to hart plaza.had to be at least a million people there.and everyone keeps metioning other states,dont forget other countries as well ,newspaper interviewd a family from london.

there was defintly a million plus people there.

1.4 million? Bulls***. I know that'd be a nice thing to pretend about what great fan support we have but it's complete, total, 100% bulls***.

Hart Plaza can only fit about 18,000 people and that's if you jam them in like sardines on every square inch, which they did not because the fountain was blocked off. Woodward between Jefferson and Campus Martius could maybe fit 25,000 if you jam them in like sardines and pretend that nobody in the back cares about seeing.

I base these numbers on how many square feet the average person takes up (about 3) and how big these places are, thanks to Google Earth.

This is also if you pretend that nobody at all moved from Woodward to Hart Plaza.

Ever tried to park downtown for a Tigers game or a Lions game? It took us 45 minutes to leave downtown after the Motor City Bowl. 60,000 people. Where the flying hell is there parking for over half a million cars????

Get serious. I wouldn't even bet on 400,000, not even counting all the people watching from the windows at work or from their apartments. Maybe - MAYBE - 150,000.

But let's not forget about people who came and left, or came later. There very well may have been 1.4 million over the course of the parade.

Either way, it's still a hell of a lot more than any other team could have rallied. Detroit will always be Hockeytown, regardless of sell-outs, ratings, etc. The fans will always find some way to support the team.

Take a look, people:

parade.jpg

That box represents the 4.2 million or so square feet that 1.4 million people would require. That box is nearly a mile long. To fit 1.4 million in there, it would have to be a solid wall of people. Not one of them fat and overweight Unmoving, not minding the sardine factor, pretending there are no buildings, cordoned off zones, cars to hold the players, or any such stuff. In reality that box would have to spread out like, uh, an octopus, through the streets.

Is that really what you see in the pictures?

Take a look at this one from 2002. Similar turnout this year, and similar absurd hyperbole. The box in the picture above would have to be completely filled with people to hit 1.4 million - clearly, it is not.

parade5.jpg

As for the Windsor argument, Windsor isnt a huge city, maybe 200k youre still talking about a huge migration of people into the city.

And Sarnia and Tecumseh and Lasalle. I work at a store where probably half our already big customer base is Canadian and quite a few of them wear a Tigers or Red Wings hat, shirt, or what have you. 1.4 may be a stretch but I don't think it's too far of a stretch.

1.4 sounds like a bit much there, but honestly who cares. Looking at that photo of downtown, that's a sh*tload of people!

It was a great parade and a great day to be a Wings fan...

And for those of you who need to feel superior to Ducks fans, by this time last year the stories about the Cup had faded and the coverage was all about Paris Hilton going to jail.

1.4 sounds like a bit much there, but honestly who cares. Looking at that photo of downtown, that's a sh*tload of people!

It was a great parade and a great day to be a Wings fan...

And for those of you who need to feel superior to Ducks fans, by this time last year the stories about the Cup had faded and the coverage was all about Paris Hilton going to jail.

Exactly.

Honestly who cares. Whether it was really 1.4 or 500 or whatever that's still TONS AND TONS of fans, an amazing turnout and one hell of a time!

Exactly.

Honestly who cares. Whether it was really 1.4 or 500 or whatever that's still TONS AND TONS of fans, an amazing turnout and one hell of a time!

I would love for 1.4 million people to of shown up, but, the press is misreporting the numbers, which makes Detroit look like idiots... I would be just as passionate if they undercut the numbers.

You are consistently my hero, harold. :lol:

does it really matter how many?

everyone who wanted to go and could go did...

everyone else watched it on the net or the TV...

i guess it just proves Tiger Woods was right..

no one watches hockey anymore

This just further proves that Detroit fans are the greatest in the world, no matter what the media says.

Detroit is Hockeytown. None of these other loser markets like Minnesota or whatever even come close. We have the greatest hockey fans, and the greatest sports fans in general, in the world.

I went with three people from ALASKA - and nobody in our area had three feet of personal space. We were squeezed in like sardines. I think the crowd estimates actually come from the police.

I went with three people from ALASKA - and nobody in our area had three feet of personal space. We were squeezed in like sardines. I think the crowd estimates actually come from the police.

You don't get three feet of personal space. You get two. Stand with your arms at your sides, it's about two feet from elbow to elbow. Three square feet comes from the foot and a half you get by adding the length of your foot (one foot) plus three inches on either side so you aren't dry humping the biker dude in front of you. Go build yourself a 24" by 18" box, stand in it, and see how you feel about your personal space then.

If the crowd estimates of 1.4 million really come from the police, then the police are full of s***.

I agree that our turnouts for the parade are really something, and much better than you'll get elsewhere. I've always said Detroit is not only the greatest hockey town but the greatest sports town in the country. It's a wonderful time to be had by all. But believe me: 1.4 million is a load of crap if you even put the tiniest bit of thought into it beyond "ya i was there it was hUGE!!!!"

You don't get three feet of personal space. You get two. Stand with your arms at your sides, it's about two feet from elbow to elbow. Three square feet comes from the foot and a half you get by adding the length of your foot (one foot) plus three inches on either side so you aren't dry humping the biker dude in front of you. Go build yourself a 24" by 18" box, stand in it, and see how you feel about your personal space then.

If the crowd estimates of 1.4 million really come from the police, then the police are full of s***.

I agree that our turnouts for the parade are really something, and much better than you'll get elsewhere. I've always said Detroit is not only the greatest hockey town but the greatest sports town in the country. It's a wonderful time to be had by all. But believe me: 1.4 million is a load of crap if you even put the tiniest bit of thought into it beyond "ya i was there it was hUGE!!!!"

Dude, what the hell. Is it that important to downgrade how much there was at the parade? Who cares. There were way more than anyone expected especially after all the talk of us no longer being hockeytown and what not.

Way to rain in on the parade.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Dude, what the hell. Is it that important to downgrade how much there was at the parade? Who cares. There were way more than anyone expected especially after all the talk of us no longer being hockeytown and what not.

Way to rain in on the parade.

I don't think any of us expected a small turnout, nor did any media types predict one. I think the turnout was pretty standard for Hockeytown: excellent as usual.

Is it really that important to pretend there were 10 times as many people as there really were? Of all places, Hockeytown shouldn't have to artificially inflate the numbers to pretend we're better than we are. It bothers me that people will just accept any old number without even putting the slightest amount of thought or questioning into it.

I remember the picture from the 1997 parade. WAY more packed than the pictures from this one. The '97 parade, because it was the first, was the best-attended. And this parade supposedly had 300,000 more people. When we win the Cup in 2020, are they going to say 5 million?

I wish I could find the old picture and put it up next to this year's for comparison. It was the most incredible gathering of people I've ever seen in this city.

It was a great crowd.... but I think 1+ million is a wee-bit of a stretch. My guess is that there were a couple hundred thousand tops. I doubt ~1.5x the total population of the City of Detroit was lining the parade route.

i doubt much of anyone that could be considered part of the population of the city of detroit was lining the parade route. over a million from the suburbs, from windsor, from all over the hell though...that i certainly believe.

What makes everyone here pros at estimating people on streets for parades? Whoever officially estimated has done it for YEARS and not just for victory parades, but the thanksgiving day parades as well. There is without a doubt enough space for over a million people, and don't say the whole population thing, because Detroit + it's metro area + Toledo + Windsor + Sarnia = something like 6.2 million people. Quit trying to degrade this great great celebration of victory and go back to bitching about Lilja, Samuelsson, or even Lang if you want to.

What makes everyone here pros at estimating people on streets for parades? Whoever officially estimated has done it for YEARS and not just for victory parades, but the thanksgiving day parades as well. There is without a doubt enough space for over a million people, and don't say the whole population thing, because Detroit + it's metro area + Toledo + Windsor + Sarnia = something like 6.2 million people. Quit trying to degrade this great great celebration of victory and go back to bitching about Lilja, Samuelsson, or even Lang if you want to.

Good point. Lang is lazy and he sucks. I heard he wanted to watch the parade but fell asleep halfway through after eating a box of donuts and drinking a glass of heavy whipping cream.