• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey9019

Parade Attendance? 1.4 MILLION?

Rate this topic

We came in from GR and people we chatted with were from all over the place. I believe there were well over a million at the parade, but we like many others decided not to fight the crowds and get into Hart for the end.

It was a very FUN day! Thanks to all the cool people in Detroit for welcoming us all!

Is there anyone thats STILL doesn't believe this is Hockeytown?

I didn't believe... until i heard Mr. Moneybags exclaim, "this is the hawkeytown yeeeearrrrrghhhhah!"

Then i had no doubts in my mind :)

Edited by OsGOD

True....sort of. But in the parts that overlap, Hart Plaza is packed in '97 and thinned out in '08.

See the tall twisty post? Surrounded by people in 97. Not in 08. See the street in front of the One Woodward building? Packed in 97. Not in 08. The intersection that was jammed with people in 97 is empty in 08. It's simply false that the photos have no areas in common.

It doesn't take a lot of deductive reasoning to guess that the rest of Hart Plaza in 97 is as packed as the part that does show.

I'm not discounting your argument but there are flaws basing this on the photos. The timing that photos may have been taken could be totally different. Say the 1997 shot was taken, and it looks like it, after the parade was finished and people were making their way to Hart plaza. This being the first cup, many people made their way to the rally.

The 2008 shot could have been taken an hour or two before the parade started. And it was, because there is still traffic going down Jefferson. The streets would have been closed if it was parade time. The estimated crowd at Hart Plaza was around 10,000 at 9:00am that morning. It looks like the shot may have been taken around that time.

I bet you would see a similar photo if they were taken around the same time of the parade. Based on my own experience, it seemed that the crowd around me tripled or more between 8:00am and 11:00am.

Edited by wingsfan75

TBH, I have no idea how many people it would require to fill the streets where the festivities took place, but I will say it looked like it was absolutely packed! While I would love to know how many people attended out of sheer curiosity, I don't think anyone can make a real accurate assumption, only an estimate.

That being said......Gold Jacket, Green Jacket, who gives a s***? The point is the turnout was great and everyone had a great time.

I don't think any of us expected a small turnout, nor did any media types predict one. I think the turnout was pretty standard for Hockeytown: excellent as usual.

Is it really that important to pretend there were 10 times as many people as there really were? Of all places, Hockeytown shouldn't have to artificially inflate the numbers to pretend we're better than we are. It bothers me that people will just accept any old number without even putting the slightest amount of thought or questioning into it.

I remember the picture from the 1997 parade. WAY more packed than the pictures from this one. The '97 parade, because it was the first, was the best-attended. And this parade supposedly had 300,000 more people. When we win the Cup in 2020, are they going to say 5 million?

I wish I could find the old picture and put it up next to this year's for comparison. It was the most incredible gathering of people I've ever seen in this city.

You heard it from BRTD first! Detroit Red Wings 2020 Stanley Cup Champions! :D Here's hoping we have a few more in between that.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

True....sort of. But in the parts that overlap, Hart Plaza is packed in '97 and thinned out in '08.

See the tall twisty post? Surrounded by people in 97. Not in 08. See the street in front of the One Woodward building? Packed in 97. Not in 08. The intersection that was jammed with people in 97 is empty in 08. It's simply false that the photos have no areas in common.

It doesn't take a lot of deductive reasoning to guess that the rest of Hart Plaza in 97 is as packed as the part that does show.

What are you trying to do? Rain on everyone's parade?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I didn't believe... until i heard Mr. Moneybags exclaim, "this is the hawkeytown yeeeearrrrrghhhhah!"

Then i had no doubts in my mind :)

If you ask the people in Pittsburgh they think they should be Hockeytown. Whatever............