• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

savaking72

Osgood Article From SI

Rate this topic

Osgood played well when called upon and the D played well also....

I am not trying to take away any spot light from Ozzie.... The team played well as a tight group....

I agree. I think this probably one of the best stanly cup winning teams in history. I am just glad to see Osgood finally getting good press.

You know what? regardless of who was in front of him, Ozzie played sublime hockey ALL season long.

I'm not comparing him to Lidstrom, but they're in the same category for the playoffs: Lidstrom's play was so simple and effective, not flashy

Who would have thought when he left Detroit after the 2001 season, that he'd be back 7 years later to win the Cup as a starter for the Wings. Amazing story.

BTW, I'm not trying to take anything away from Ozzie, but I've seen the replay a million times, and Hossa's last second play would never have counted, since the clock would have expired on him. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this?

Who would have thought when he left Detroit after the 2001 season, that he'd be back 7 years later to win the Cup as a starter for the Wings. Amazing story.

BTW, I'm not trying to take anything away from Ozzie, but I've seen the replay a million times, and Hossa's last second play would never have counted, since the clock would have expired on him. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this?

I noticed as well. I was watching the game on CBC and they showed the footage from the overhead cam, slowed down, with a time clock on the picture, and it definitely would not have counted had it gone in.

Osgood played well when called upon and the D played well also....

I am not trying to take away any spot light from Ozzie.... The team played well as a tight group....

What comes next? A GREAT goalie would have had a .940 instead of a .930 in the playoffs? Oh, s***... let's go spend 7 mil on a goalie who may or may not be as consistent as the one we have now.

I think some of you are forgetting that a legend coming off a great year couldn't cut it behind the same D.

Edited by digitaljohn88

I used to think Ozzie wouldn't make it to the HOF (I was never an Ozzie hater, I just didn't think he would make it) but I think this clinches it for him. He wasn't expected to play at playoffs' start and came in completely prepared and barely had a hiccup on the way to the Cup. If this doesn't get Ozzie into the Hall, nothing will.

Hossa's last secnd shot never crossed the line anyway so your argument isn't relevent.

Ozzie made the saves the Wings needed him to make and thats all that matters

Hossa's last secnd shot never crossed the line anyway so your argument isn't relevent.

Ozzie made the saves the Wings needed him to make and thats all that matters

All I'm saying is that Ozzie made a great diving effort, but even though everyone keeps showing the replay slow-mo, with the puck dancing down the line, at that time the clock had already expired.

Amazing story, IMO Ozzie needs to reach 400 wins to be a surefire hall of famer. It's always harder to make it in when playing on great teams, because players are often overshadowed.

Ozzie is the Glen Anderson of goalies.

Of course I'm not surprised by this, but I hate that the SI cover this week is a preview of the NBA finals and that the Wings only get a little blurb at the bottom. It's fine, it's fine, and we should probably be satisfied with that. But... :angry:

Anyway, nice article on Ozzie.

Of course I'm not surprised by this, but I hate that the SI cover this week is a preview of the NBA finals and that the Wings only get a little blurb at the bottom. It's fine, it's fine, and we should probably be satisfied with that. But... :angry:

Anyway, nice article on Ozzie.

Keep in mind that the June 9th issue doesn't cover Game 6 and is a mid-series issue. I'm not saying the next issue will be any better, but we can dream.

I love it when people say that Osgood isn't that good of a goalie and that his 2 previous cup wins were a product of the team he played for...DUH..no s***...ya can't blame Ozzie for playing on good teams. What is he supposed to do?...decline playing for the Wing's because they are too good. Some people tend to forget that it can be hard to only face 20 shots a night. He stays mentally sharp and ready to make the saves that they need him to make every night. With the stingy defensive style we play we don't need him to make 50 saves a night, we need solid, situational goaltending and thats exactly what Ozzie will give ya!! Nobody can argue with 3 cups, 2 of them that he earned as a starter. If its Ozzie and Howard next year I think we can all feel pretty confident that Ozzie will be solid and provide some solid mentoring for J-Ho.

Keep in mind that the June 9th issue doesn't cover Game 6 and is a mid-series issue. I'm not saying the next issue will be any better, but we can dream.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had wondered about that.

Forgive me for thinking ahead, but if we win it all again next year, Ozzie will have 4 Cups.

Which IMO would put him on a totally different level than any goalie in the league.

But will he be treated as the best goalie left in the game? I doubt it.

Ozzie is amazing. Whatever the Wings have been doing to have players become reborn, it's amazing. I've never seen it happen.

Cleary, D-Mac, Ozzie, Hasek, they've all gotten their second chances and are making the most of it.

Ozzie was just amazing this last season the whole way through. He should have been nominated for the Vezina as many of us have suggested. He's a product of this organization. Kind of feel bad that he is being paid so little over his new contract for what he did. He changed his style to become more of a butterfly goalie and we obviously saw what has come of that. Honestly was not sad when Hasek came in for 2002 and forced him out, but I think Ozzie ended showing who he really is in the end. Awesome story without a doubt.