• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
grsbmd

Is this the year?

Rate this topic

It hasn't happened since 1992, but I'm thinking this might finally be the year that the Wings use their first round pick to select a forward. Their group of defensive prospects is really deep, and they don't seem to have many potential top forwards in the pipeline. What do you guys think?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

i wouldnt mind, allthough the general consencious from experts say that the draft drops off quickly after the first top 7-8 with 5 of them being forwards

I think they will, it only makes sense. We have crazy depth in defense and two talented goaltenders behind ozzie. I'm not at all sold on Kopecky, I think he'd be more useful as trade bait.. sign a forward Kenny! Get it done!

Hard to say.

It's clear they like to build the team from the blue-line out. So don't be surprised if it's a D prospect.

But they could stand to invest in a physical North American forward. Or a scoring (right) winger.

And of course more goalie depth would be good.

I think they'll stick to organizational philosophy and simply draft the player they deem as the best available guy at #30. Regardless of position.

Edited by rick zombo

One would think so, but it is hard to predict. We are drafting so late in the first round that the player will probably not be able to come in and contribute immediately, and will most likely need 4 to 5 years to develop. So, in 4 to 5 years, who is to say that we will have more depth defensively than we do offensively?

But, looking at our prospects, the two things we need are tough, big, physical defensemen, and a power forward. Defensively, other than Erricson and potentially Quincey, we do not have any tough physical D-men in our system (unless you count Kolosov, but he may or may not be re-signed next year), and with both of those players about to wear out their stay in GR, we need to replenish the system in that department.

Offensively, Mursak, Ritolla, Emmerton, and Axellson are potential top-6 forwards, and we have checking line guys in Helm, Abs who will be on our team for years. The one thing we lack is that power forward that every teams covet, and only the lucky ones have. Hopefully, we can nab one, because (and I hate to say this) but we traded away a beauty in Matthias last year, and we need to find another one this year.

I don't get the impression that the Wings care much about need. Obviously nobody they pick is going to make the big club any time soon. 3 years, minimum - that's how long ago Helm, Abdelkader, and Ritola were drafted and they're just now breaking on the scene. At #30 you just take the best player available.

i wouldnt mind, allthough the general consencious from experts say that the draft drops off quickly after the first top 7-8 with 5 of them being forwards

top 7-8? most definetly not. This is the deepest draft in a long time. Most of the top 10 are defensemen. The wings will get a quality foward by the 30th pick. And also if anyone remember's how late players like Perry and Richards fell to in the first round. No experts are saying after the top 7 or 8 players it drops off, and it is not 5 fowards.

The one thing we lack is that power forward that every teams covet, and only the lucky ones have. Hopefully, we can nab one

are you forgetting the MULE!

he is as good as any team can ask for. He is in a great situation and better realize it. He has sick hands and is a power foward. like i said though, he is in a great situation playing with such good players in Datsyuk and Hank, so if he leaves for big money, which i expect he will try for with another great season next year then he won't suceed as in Detroit.

Any way, he is the wings powerfoward.

Edited by redwings56

Thank God for good drafting, we'll find another gem in the s***pile. :D

On XM the mockdraft they had a goalie going for Detroit, they also said this is an extremely deep defensive draft. Also for physical D-man I thought Kindl was supposed to be pretty physical, or at least fights; thats what I heard anyway.

i would like to see them pick a forward but whoever they do pick up should be good b/c detroit is known for developing players and having great scouting so even if they don't pick one in the first round they'll do fine later in the draft i mean look how far in the draft zetterberg was taken

Hard to say.

It's clear they like to build the team from the blue-line out. So don't be surprised if it's a D prospect.

But they could stand to invest in a physical North American forward. Or a scoring (right) winger.

And of course more goalie depth would be good.

I think they'll stick to organizational philosophy and simply draft the player they deem as the best available guy at #30. Regardless of position.

Christ, here we go with this crap again. We just won the friggin cup with a mostly European team but we need more physical North Americans!

We don't want any more of those soft Europeans like Zetterburg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Frazen. Just pick a phyisical North American.

Sometimes I wonder why I read these forums

top 7-8? most definetly not. This is the deepest draft in a long time. Most of the top 10 are defensemen. The wings will get a quality foward by the 30th pick. And also if anyone remember's how late players like Perry and Richards fell to in the first round. No experts are saying after the top 7 or 8 players it drops off, and it is not 5 fowards.

are you forgetting the MULE!

he is as good as any team can ask for. He is in a great situation and better realize it. He has sick hands and is a power foward. like i said though, he is in a great situation playing with such good players in Datsyuk and Hank, so if he leaves for big money, which i expect he will try for with another great season next year then he won't suceed as in Detroit.

Any way, he is the wings powerfoward.

What the hell are you basing that on? I haven't seen anything that indicates that he wants to leave.

Christ, here we go with this crap again. We just won the friggin cup with a mostly European team but we need more physical North Americans!

We don't want any more of those soft Europeans like Zetterburg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Frazen. Just pick a phyisical North American.

Sometimes I wonder why I read these forums

There's no need to jump off the deep end dude. I think he's just trying to say that it'd be nice to have another Shanny type of character in this team's future. Franzen is fantastic- I'm dying to see his McFarlane action figure on my shelf :D (who knows when that'll happen- they have a kinda slow turn-around time and haven't stated intentions to do a Mule figure yet). But I'd still like another big power forward like him to replace Holmstrom on the first line when he retires (since he's going to be retired long before Dats or Z).

Is that feasible in the first round at #30? I dunno- stranger things have happened and this is a deep as hell draft. Still- I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings traded down for a couple of high 2nd round picks so they could pick up the other Staal kid and some other tempting prospects.

I suggest people read the Hockey News 2008 Prospect edition- it's a very interesting read.