• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Official: Hasek announces retirement

Rate this topic

If it's Dom's decision to retire and not Holland bringing him back, I applaud him for that. He's had an amazing career and I don't think he would want to end it being a back-up.

I'm excited to see Howard get some more ice time.

Whatever happens, thanks Dom!!!!

I agree, he lost his job in the playoffs but from what I've heard he didn't whine about it and turned out to be a pretty good guy in the lockerroom. I really hope that guys like him and Chelios (as much as I respect them) pack it in this year because we can't let some of our prospects just rot in the minors...they need to get their shot at the show!!

Yeah, him renewing a contract doesn't deserve much of a conference. Id say he's likely on his way out, as he well should be.

Howard has quite the future ahead of him, and seems to have a great attitude!

I don't want to be premature but I don't think the Wings would call a press conference to announce resigning Hasek. Thanks for everything Dom, you will always be one of the greatest goalies to ever play the game, and you did it your own way. Like Frank said, "I did it my way". This year you proved that not only are you a great goalie, but also a great teammate.

My guess is that he will retire. To have been one of the best goalies to have ever played the game, and to now be a Stanley Cup winner, it just makes sense to go out on top.

As for the Wings, we still have Ozzie, and Howard looks promising. We'll never have the 1-2 punch we had this season, but a team of goalies like we had in Dom and Ozzie is a rare occurance.

Thanks for everything, Dom. Enjoy the rest of your life knowing you're a true champion.

Just like a couple of years ago when they had a press conference "regarding the future of Steve Yzerman." We all knew they wouldn't have a presser just to announce Stevie was coming back for another season, just as now it's doubtful tomorrow's presser is to announce Dom's coming back. I would bet cash money that it's to announce his retirement.

He had a great career, will be in the Hall of Fame and was a really good team guy - especially this year. Instead of whining about being pulled in favor of Ozzie, Dom became Ozzie's biggest cheerleader. Even Ozzie said he handled his deposition with real class and it strengthened their friendship.

And I read that Cheli's coming back...he's willing to accept a reduced role with the Wings, and the Wings want him back. A contract could be done as early as this week.

Since 2002, the three years Dom was on the team in the playoffs, we won two Stanley Cups and made it to the Conference Finals.

Since 2002, the three years he wasn't, we went out in the first round twice and the second round once.

Not bad!

I don't have to say much, do I? He's my hero, and always will be.

I love the Red Wings organization for recognizing his contributions and treating him with such respect. He's more than earned it.

If Dom is content, then so am I. It's all I ever wanted for him.

I'm intersted to see how long Howard's leash is next season. There's a lot of free agent, veteran back-up goalies available that could split time with Ozzy. I don't think he's capable of playing 65+ games.

Also, his record with the Red Wings:

176 GP

114 W

38 L

19 T

368 GA

20 SO

2.14 GAA

.911 SV%

Edited by Reilly

I was hoping Hasek would retire. I hated to feel that way, because Hasek's done a lot for the team. I think it would have made for another awkward goalie setup if he'd stuck around another year. Can't keep Howard backed up in a logjam forever.

Thanks are in order from Red Wings fans to Dom. The guy won us a Cup, and make no mistake - he was absolutely crucial to this one too. He played excellent during the regular season.

So here's to the Dominator. We're lucky, as Wings fans, to have had one of the greatest goalies of all time suiting up for us.

It leaves one question - will Franzen reclaim the #39?

Thanks so much Dom! I remember how excited I was the day that we got you in 2002... and then Brett Hull, and Luc Robitaille. I'm so glad I got to see you play in a Detroit uniform, you represented yourself well and I'm glad you were able to win a few championship rings here. (And how about that 1998 Canada vs. Czech Republic shootout!!!)

I'm intersted to see how long Howard's leash is next season. There's a lot of free agent, veteran back-up goalies available that could split time with Ozzy. I don't think he's capable of playing 65+ games.

Who, Ozzie, or Howard?

Ozzie will definitely be the starter next year. Howard should see roughly 20 games as the full-time backup.

Who, Ozzie, or Howard?

Ozzie will definitely be the starter next year. Howard should see roughly 20 games as the full-time backup.

QFT. Ozzie/Howie will be the tandem next year.

And farewell Dom, there will probably never be another goalie like you. (I mean that in a good way).

I hope some of the posters in this forum will try to refrain from turning this, of all things, into a bashing thread. Just once, put a lid on it.

Have a little respect, if you know how.

I agree Puckloo.....I was a Hasek fan in 02 (obviously) and I had my problems with him when he came out of retirement and created that fiasco in the lockerroom, but we have to give the guy his due. He was a great goaltender, and really finished things the right way, and earned just as much of this Stanley Cup as any other guy on the team.

Congrats Dom!