• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzermania19

Ron Wilson to coach the Leafs

Rate this topic

Per CBC.ca and others -

Ron Wilson will apparently be the 27th head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Multiple reports Sunday say the NHL club will announce Tuesday that Wilson, recently fired by the San Jose Sharks, has agreed to run the bench for the struggling club.

CBC sources have confirmed it appears Wilson is in, barring unforeseen complications, and that the contract will be four years, $5.6-million, plus incentives.

The Leafs have not commented.

More - Wilson agrees to coach Toronto Maple Leafs - report

Good move on Wilson's part to get a 4 year deal. When the Leafs miss the playoffs the next two years, because they suck, there will be pressure by the media and fans to fire him. The 4 year deal saves him from that.

I cant say I didn't see this coming. I was thinking Quinneville or Wilson. Wilson is the stronger candidate, imo. That franchise needs to turn it around. The fans and Toronto deserve a better team/showing.

Edited by miller76

I was hoping Tie Domi would become their coach, but I doubt he wants to get into that profession.

Oh well, I guess Wilson will at least get them into the playoffs every year, and at this point Leafs fans wouldn't mind choking in the playoffs each year over their current situation.

Like I said before, I saw it coming. But I thought that after he was fired from San Jose, and that little interview with TSN, where he bashed TSN and Canada, a Canadian team may shy away at him. Maybe all is forgotten. I just think he is heading back to a huge canadian hockey mecha! lol. This will definetly be interesting.

Good move on Wilson's part to get a 4 year deal. When the Leafs miss the playoffs the next two years, because they suck, there will be pressure by the media and fans to fire him. The 4 year deal saves him from that.

Nah he won't be saved from being fired at all. They can fire him whenever they want. They just have to pay out the remainder of the contract or whatever is specified within its terms.

I was hoping Tie Domi would become their coach, but I doubt he wants to get into that profession.

Oh well, I guess Wilson will at least get them into the playoffs every year, and at this point Leafs fans wouldn't mind choking in the playoffs each year over their current situation.

I've often thought that Wilson is to hockey what Schottenheimer is to football. He can get them back into the playoffs, but not past that.

Ahhhh, good ole Leafs. Perpeptually stuck in the mud of averageness. Not good enough to be a contender, not bad enough to rebuild their team with top propects.....

Just more mismanagement by the Leafs. Why you put the cart before the horse is beyond me.

The GM that takes over for Fletcher will be forced to deal with Wilson whether he likes him or not.

And now there's talks of hiring Neiwendyke to be an assistant GM.

What an ass-backward organization. No wonder they haven't won a Cup in 41 years. And by the looks of things, it could be another 41 before they do.

That's what having hundreds of bosses will do.

The best thing that could happen to Leaf Nation is the Teachers Pension selling to one owner.

Maybe this is common knowledge but I haven't followed it closely, but I hear they're loosely negotiating with Sundin to allow him to meet with teams prior to free agency to discuss deals so the Leafs could get some compensation after failing to do anything at the deadline. A save-face move by the organization apparently. If it's true, well, yeah, it's all just kinda sad...

Maybe this is common knowledge but I haven't followed it closely, but I hear they're loosely negotiating with Sundin to allow him to meet with teams prior to free agency to discuss deals so the Leafs could get some compensation after failing to do anything at the deadline. A save-face move by the organization apparently. If it's true, well, yeah, it's all just kinda sad...

Nothing would surprise me at this point.

The Detroit Lions and the Toronto Maple Leafs are the two worst run sports franchises on the entire planet. And if we ever do find intelligent life on another planet, I'm pretty sure they'd take the "Universe" title as well.

The Leafs have an endless supply of money and yet all they do is choke on it. They make one horrible decision after another. Before the lockout they could get away with their horrible decisions with their fat wallets. But now that there's a cap, they have really shown their true colors. They couldn't organize a suicide.

The greatest thing about this news is that Wilson will bring this team out of the cellar only to fail when it counts the most, thus crushing Leafs fans hopes once again. In other words....great signing, MLSE! :P

Honestly though, bringing in Wilson is exactly what that team needs *at this stage*. While I agree with those comparing Wilson to Schottenheimer, he will be the first piece to really turn around the franchise. The key then will be when to fire him before its too late.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Hanta Yo Baby!

If it were anyone but the Leafs, I'd say he has the credentials to do enough to at least get the team into the playoffs again (but probably fail miserably every year like in San Jose), but given the state of that organization, I just can't say that. Unless the ownership ever decides to release it's iron grip on roster management and other team functions, that team will never go anywhere.

Regardless, I'm still happy to see Wilson get a job again. His comments after a loss, and that blank ghost-like expression on his face behind the bench are classic.

Just more mismanagement by the Leafs. Why you put the cart before the horse is beyond me.

The GM that takes over for Fletcher will be forced to deal with Wilson whether he likes him or not.

Fletcher's staying on as GM for one more season, so they needed a coach. Also, it's incentive to lure Brian Burke in. He and Wilson are best friends.

Also, there's not much pressure to make the playoffs the next couple seasons because they're going to dismantle the team in the next 20 days or so.

Edited by MacK_Attack