• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
deker

Just One More Comment About Officiating...

Rate this topic

Games are very rarely decided by officials, and I can confidently say that did not occur in this series. Sure the calls might have been a bit tilted in this series, but never did it prevent the wings from being able to win a game. The wings got away with a lot, as did the pens. That call on Datsyuk at the end of the game wasn't going to be made in that situation, and that's just playoff hockey. The bottom line is that officials were not a significant factor in this series, and we as wings fan should be more focused on our team's cup win than anything else.

This is a pretty touchy subject for me, largely because (1) I have been a sports official for basketball and soccer games, granted at a much lower level, and even at that lower level/speed/tempo it is still a damned hard job to do and (2) as much as Wings fans in general want to deny this, people in here have bitched and moaned about officiating in here "going against the Wings" on multiple occassions.

As an example, like most I couldn't believe that a hooking call wasn't called on Pitt late in the Cup clinching game when it happened around 10 seconds left. It seemed pretty obvious. On the flip side to when Datsyuk was hooked there, I think the penalty he got in the previous playoff year vs. Anaheim Game 5 which helped contribue to an OT loss was a pretty good "phantom hook".

It will take a lot, and I do mean A WHOLE LOT, to make me believe that officials are intentionally against the Red Wings or that there is some kind of officiating conspiracy or referees intentionally wanting to extend series longer. That's just paranoia coming from fans when they think people are absolutely in love with the other team or just worrying way too much that things may go against our team.

Both the Red Wings and the Penguins got away with some calls, and both got a fair amount of Power Plays in the series to try to capitalize on.

Officials are human. They're going to make mistakes. They are going to make calls that are questionable or miss stuff. I made my fair share of bad calls or no-calls when I officiated basketball and soccer game at a fairly fast tempo. There's just so much to keep up with and decide and you often have to make choices in the matter of a split second.

No official is out to get the Red Wings or any other team. Yes, even Dan O'Hallaran isn't out to intentionally get the Red Wings.

My whole point to all this "kerfuffle", as Osgood would say, is that officials try to do their best but there seems to be a fair amount of inconsistency in how officials overall judge penalties and the like. What needs to be done is all of them to have meetings and get rid of this inconsistency as much as possbile for next season and beyond.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I could have sworn SouthernWingsFan and I made these same points last week. :lol:

As for your recommendation of meetings to iron it all out: It will ultimately be fruitless. There will always be a lot of bad calls, whether its football, basketball, baseball or hockey. It is inevitable, and it's best for everyone to roll with it. These guys all do their best, and they miss a helluva lot more than you and I do sitting in the comfort of our own homes.

In a perfect world, yes. In this case, not a chance. It's true the refs SHOULD be a non-factor, but almost noone in the hockey world believes that of the finals this year. Biased or just plain bad, there is no denying the refs were a major factor in the series and were very close to being an even bigger one.

If not for a spectacular play by Osgood the Pens tie it up and possibly win in overtime and get a chance at taking the series in game seven. All this because the refs handed them a six on four and then refused to take it away by not calling three blatant penalties. The Datsyuk trip, the stick slashed of of Lilja's hands, and his stick getting swept away once it is loose. All those calls are automatic if the officiating is even halfassed. So it's ok to make calls with 90 seconds left in the game if they're in the Pens favor, but not with 20 seconds in the game if it goes against them? Wtf kind of standard is that? Games have been won and lost with less than 5 seconds on the clock so their is absolutely no good time to let obvious penalties go uncalled because of time left in the game.

You can look back at this and say so what the Wings won anyway. I'm fine with that if that's your opinion. But to say that the officiating was fine and dandy just because the matchup was lopsided enough for the Wings to overcome the officiating is crazy in my book. Bad is bad, and the officiating, for whatever reason, was the worst that I and a great number of other long time hockey fans have ever seen throughout a series.

Now that so many commentators, writers, and others around hockey have come out and said they believe the officiating stunk, it's no longer valid to say that the complaints are just coming from a bunch of Red Wing homers.

:thumbup:

I'm not usually one to complain about the officials either, but if you didn't see the obvious bias in this series, you weren't watching.

...It will take a lot, and I do mean A WHOLE LOT, to make me believe that officials are intentionally against the Red Wings or that there is some kind of officiating conspiracy or referees intentionally wanting to extend series longer. That's just paranoia coming from fans when they think people are absolutely in love with the other team or just worrying way too much that things may go against our team.

...No official is out to get the Red Wings or any other team. Yes, even Dan O'Hallaran isn't out to intentionally get the Red Wings.

My whole point to all this "kerfuffle", as Osgood would say, is that officials try to do their best but there seems to be a fair amount of inconsistency in how officials overall judge penalties and the like. What needs to be done is all of them to have meetings and get rid of this inconsistency as much as possbile for next season and beyond.

I am sorry but I am going to have to disagree with you on this one...although you do bring up some potentially valid points regareding inconsistency. In my opinion the fact that Osgood referenced the bias as well as the attention and comments from external news sources clearly demonstrates something is rotten in Denmark...independantly these pieces of criticism might be dismissable however when all are taken in context and the evidence is combined I cannot see how you can deny what others are so clearly seeing.

I watched the whole series and obviously there were bad calls both ways; however at the truly game defining moments, and do not try and tell me that officials are not aware of the impact timing has, it was quite obvious that the pens got the majority of the calls. That is an indisputable fact and as such warrants some criticism and possibly investigation.

What to do about it...that I do not have an answer for as it seems that it may be more systemic, and as it has the appearance of a top-down chain of command issue, I am not sure much will or can be done. It will be interesting to see what happens next year should the wings make another SCF run ut until then I am not going to really worry about it any more and enjoy this year!!!

brutus

It was so biased, we had more PP opportunites!

yes but we should have had even more...perhaps you need some clarification though. The number of PPs is only relevant if it is EQUAL to the number of infractions...so your argument, while most likely a feeble attempt at humor is still nontheless invalid :)

brutus

Edited by brutus

yes but we should have had even more...perhaps you need some clarification though. The number of PPs is only relevant if it is EQUAL to the number of infractions...so your argument, while most likely a feeble attempt at humor is still nontheless invalid :)

brutus

You menstruating whiners really need to take off the rose-colored glasses. Our Wings got away with so many infractions themselves it's not even funny.

I applaud your attempted moxie, but you're swimming in a red sea of bitching and moaning like the rest of them. Put a sock in the officiating argument. They got a way with a lot, we got away with a lot, and that's how the game goes. If you would like to continue to complain, by all means, write a letter to Colin Campbell instead of sullying the integrity of Wings fans by whining about officiating.

I watched the whole series and obviously there were bad calls both ways; however at the truly game defining moments, and do not try and tell me that officials are not aware of the impact timing has, it was quite obvious that the pens got the majority of the calls. That is an indisputable fact and as such warrants some criticism and possibly investigation.

brutus

Word, Brutus! The whole " well if you look at the series we had more power plays blah, blah, blah" argument is stupid. The game flows and timing and momentum are HUGE! The fact that people with no interest in the series--writers no less-- picked up on this WWE bulls*** is really amazing, and sad. I am just glad in the waning moments of game 6, Mario Lemieux didnt come running down the tunnel, jump into the ring, err I mean on the ice and score the tying goal.

You menstruating whiners really need to take off the rose-colored glasses. Our Wings got away with so many infractions themselves it's not even funny.

I applaud your attempted moxie, but you're swimming in a red sea of bitching and moaning like the rest of them. Put a sock in the officiating argument. They got a way with a lot, we got away with a lot, and that's how the game goes. If you would like to continue to complain, by all means, write a letter to Colin Campbell instead of sullying the integrity of Wings fans by whining about officiating.

Nice. Get your ass handed to you in a debate so you resort to personal attacks.

"Sullying the integrity of Wings fans" omfg too funny.

How about a rebutal of anyones argument instead of personal attacks or YOU put a sock in it.

Do you not notice the incongruity of your comments...I believe your insinuation, correct me if I am wrong, is that commenting/discussing the officiating equals whining. Furthermore you seem to assert that as long as the officiating is poor regarding both teams then that means it was NOT poor or not worthy of complaining…or whining as you so eloquently state it...I don’t understand your logic here but that is what you seem to believe :scared: Still later on in your comment...on one hand you want the "whining" to stop but on the other hand you promote the idea of writing a letter to Colin Campbell to "whine" ...well which is it?? Your comments make no sense as written perhaps you could go back and edit it for clarity and intent.

So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right! –Dom Portwood (Office Space)

Brutus

This is a pretty touchy subject for me, largely because (1) I have been a sports official for basketball and soccer games, granted at a much lower level, and even at that lower level/speed/tempo it is still a damned hard job to do and (2) as much as Wings fans in general want to deny this, people in here have bitched and moaned about officiating in here "going against the Wings" on multiple occassions.

As an example, like most I couldn't believe that a hooking call wasn't called on Pitt late in the Cup clinching game when it happened around 10 seconds left. It seemed pretty obvious. On the flip side to when Datsyuk was hooked there, I think the penalty he got in the previous playoff year vs. Anaheim Game 5 which helped contribue to an OT loss was a pretty good "phantom hook".

It will take a lot, and I do mean A WHOLE LOT, to make me believe that officials are intentionally against the Red Wings or that there is some kind of officiating conspiracy or referees intentionally wanting to extend series longer. That's just paranoia coming from fans when they think people are absolutely in love with the other team or just worrying way too much that things may go against our team.

Both the Red Wings and the Penguins got away with some calls, and both got a fair amount of Power Plays in the series to try to capitalize on.

Officials are human. They're going to make mistakes. They are going to make calls that are questionable or miss stuff. I made my fair share of bad calls or no-calls when I officiated basketball and soccer game at a fairly fast tempo. There's just so much to keep up with and decide and you often have to make choices in the matter of a split second.

No official is out to get the Red Wings or any other team. Yes, even Dan O'Hallaran isn't out to intentionally get the Red Wings.

it's mcgoo(mcgeugh or however you spell it) that bothers me, can hardly watch any redwing game when he is the number 1 guy

I still believe that if those 2 intereference penalties in game OT would not have been called, as they weren't penalties, our sustained momentum would have won us the game.