• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jason_0931

Jiri Fischer, should he get his name on cup?

Rate this topic

I was thinking the other day, should Jiri Fischer get his name on the cup? I know the wings have the option to petition the league to have a players name added to the cup. This rule is in place if a player has a season ending injury and is not able to finish the season, his team can petition for his name to be added to the cup!

I know his heart problems started in November of 2005, but that was only 2 seasons ago and I can't remember how long he was under contract for. According to nhl.com he is no longer listed as a player in the league and the letsgowings.com site does not have a salary for him hitting the cap.

So the question becomes should the wings petition the league do to a career ending heart problem?

I say yes, or at the very least get a Stanley Cup ring from the wings, because I feel he would have been apart of this team had the injury not occured!

He's the team's director of player development, so he'll get his name on there anyway.

oh yeah forgot about that, but not as a player.

Guest mindfly

Jiri Fischer.. I remember he got injured.. like 2years ago? but how come he hasn't thought of a comeback?

Jiri Fischer.. I remember he got injured.. like 2years ago? but how come he hasn't thought of a comeback?

I don't think he got injured... His heart stopped ticking on the bench and he colapsed. If I remember correctly they never really found out why it happened, other than being diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat prior. It is much to risky for him to make a comeback. After all its only a game!

I don't think he got injured... His heart stopped ticking on the bench and he colapsed. If I remember correctly they never really found out why it happened, other than being diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat prior. It is much to risky for him to make a comeback. After all its only a game!

You are correct.... He collapsed on the bench after a shift, his heart stopped beating, and he was only revived due to the quick work of the team doctor and a defibrillator. The rest of the game against Nashville was canceled as a result. The exact cause was never found, he was unable to get medical clearance to play again, and he retired as a result.

Edited by Gizmo

All I can say is WOW!

I am shocked more people don't agree with me.

Why should people agree with you? Jiri will get his name on the cup and get a ring for this year for being apart of management. If he weren't apart of management, and didn't already have his name on the cup from 2002, i could see your point, but even then its a long stretch because it happened 2 years prior. Its not like it was in 98 when they were playing for Vladdy.

To be fair, give a valid reason why he *should* be on the cup this year as a player.

Was Vlady put on the cup after the 97-98 season as a player? I don't think he was. If he was, and if other teams had petitioned to include such players, then there would be a precedent/tradition for it and I would say go for it, but not 3 years later.

I thought only coaches and players were on the cup. Lots of people work in the front office of the Wings who could be termed management who will not have their names put on the Cup. I don't think Fischer would get put on the cup for being in management.

I can appreciate wanting to show camraderie towards Fischer, but he was not a coach or a player, and did not have a direct role in their success. Lots of people help the Wings in the roles that they perform in their jobs, but it is not practice to put their names on the cup.

An interesting thing about Fischer. He was suspended for the fifth game of the 2001-02 Stanley Cup Finals against Carolina. Another Jiri from the Czech Republic, Jiri Slegr, took his place. Slegr would not have been on the Cup if it weren't for Fischer's suspension.

Edited by octopusonice

Why should people agree with you? Jiri will get his name on the cup and get a ring for this year for being apart of management. If he weren't apart of management, and didn't already have his name on the cup from 2002, i could see your point, but even then its a long stretch because it happened 2 years prior. Its not like it was in 98 when they were playing for Vladdy.

My point is this, I understand the injury occured in 2005, but if his was under contract thru 2008 then, in my opinion, I think he should get his name on the cup as a player. Simply because he would have been apart of this team this season. If Jiri was still playing we would not have needed to pickup Stuart at the deadline. The fact that he got his name on the cup in 2002 is not relevant to my question.

Now if Jiri's contract would have needed to be extended for him to be apart of the current roster then I don't think he should get his name on the cup.

Was Vlady put on the cup after the 97-98 season as a player? I don't think he was.

I'm not really sure. That would require some digging.

Was Vlady put on the cup after the 97-98 season as a player? I don't think he was. If he was, and if other teams had petitioned to include such players, then there would be a precedent/tradition for it and I would say go for it, but not 3 years later.

That's the key here. Vladdy was lost tragically and the team won the Cup the upcoming season "for him". Jiri's incident happened over 2 full seasons ago. It's not apples to oranges.