• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Lord Stanley's Summer Tour 2008

Rate this topic

Abdelkader has the cup in Muskegon today. My Dad just called me to tell me he got his pic with it at Lakeshore arena. Pops knows the Abdelkaders from way back so I think he's going to drop by the party later as well. Justin will also have the cup at Mona Shores High School this afternoon before the party.

I have to say as a Muskegon native and MS hockey alum I'm thrilled and grateful Justin brought the cup to the rink and the HS.

Stanley's coming to Muskegon on Tuesday

August 29, Muskegon Chronicle: The biggest prize in professional hockey was all the buzz at Mona Shores' gridiron Thursday night as Justin Abdelkader of the Detroit Red Wings came back to his alma mater for a brief pre-game ceremony to have his No. 89 hockey jersey retired -- and to make a special announcement. Abdelkader, who played in two games with the champion Red Wings last season and was on the team's postseason roster, announced at the football game that he will bring the coveted Stanley Cup -- the most revered trophy in all of sports -- to Muskegon on Tuesday.

The public will get a chance to see the Cup and take pictures for free on Tuesday from 11:15 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Lakeshore Sports Centre, 4470 Airline.

Lord Stanley's cup will then be going to Mona Shores for a school assembly and then to Abdelkader's parent's home in Norton Shores for a brief private party before heading back to Detroit, where star defenseman Niklas Lidstrom will be taking possession for a dinner party.

"I'm glad to be able to bring the Cup home," said Abdelkader, 21, a 2005 Mona Shores graduate who was the state's Mr. Hockey in his junior year. "It's nice to be back here and I'm really humbled by getting my number retired and all of that. This is home. I'll always be a Muskegon kid."

He even had some odd requests, such as saying hello to a Red Wings fan who couldn't make it out because he's attending school at the University of Michigan. Drake obliged, and talked to the fan on a cell phone while his mom took pictures of the moment.

Pretty cool, can you imagine that, your phone rings, id says mom, so you are like, "Hey ma, hows it going, WHAT, Dallas Drake, what, ahhh I just shat my pants! Can you hold for a second I got get changed!"

Abdelkader has the cup in Muskegon today. My Dad just called me to tell me he got his pic with it at Lakeshore arena. Pops knows the Abdelkaders from way back so I think he's going to drop by the party later as well. Justin will also have the cup at Mona Shores High School this afternoon before the party.

I have to say as a Muskegon native and MS hockey alum I'm thrilled and grateful Justin brought the cup to the rink and the HS.

Stanley's coming to Muskegon on Tuesday

August 29, Muskegon Chronicle: The biggest prize in professional hockey was all the buzz at Mona Shores' gridiron Thursday night as Justin Abdelkader of the Detroit Red Wings came back to his alma mater for a brief pre-game ceremony to have his No. 89 hockey jersey retired -- and to make a special announcement. Abdelkader, who played in two games with the champion Red Wings last season and was on the team's postseason roster, announced at the football game that he will bring the coveted Stanley Cup -- the most revered trophy in all of sports -- to Muskegon on Tuesday.

The public will get a chance to see the Cup and take pictures for free on Tuesday from 11:15 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Lakeshore Sports Centre, 4470 Airline.

Lord Stanley's cup will then be going to Mona Shores for a school assembly and then to Abdelkader's parent's home in Norton Shores for a brief private party before heading back to Detroit, where star defenseman Niklas Lidstrom will be taking possession for a dinner party.

"I'm glad to be able to bring the Cup home," said Abdelkader, 21, a 2005 Mona Shores graduate who was the state's Mr. Hockey in his junior year. "It's nice to be back here and I'm really humbled by getting my number retired and all of that. This is home. I'll always be a Muskegon kid."

Cool! I was an exchangestudent at Mona Shores back in 88-89. That's also when my love for the redwings started.

Why didnt I know the cup would be in Muskegon?! This stuff needs to be publisized more. I get the paper today and Front page on the sports section, it might as well have said, "HEY Elizabeth! You are dumb and missed your chance to see the cup! Sucks to be you!"

To add details for the Stanley Cup visiting East Lansing

http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/m-footb.../091308aab.html

The Cup will be on display in a tent in the northwest corner outside of Spartan Stadium from 1-3 p.m. in advance of the 3:30 p.m. kickoff against Notre Dame. For a $5 donation, fans can take a picture with the trophy. Each dollar collected will go to Cure Kids Cancer at Sparrow Hospital, the beneficiary of Michigan State's "Shoot for a Cure" initiative - a program spearheaded by Justin Abdelkader, former MSU hockey player and current member of the Detroit Red Wings organization.

Edited by asmith18