• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Marcus

CTV buys HNiC's theme song (purchased outright)

Rate this topic

That's right- TSN will be playing the Hockey Night in Canada song- not CBC.

CTV's purchase is outright- meaning they own the song in perpetuity.

TSN Story

That's a bold move by CTV. Expect CBC to put up a stink along with hockey columnists throughout Canada.

this is complete bull donkey that song represents HNIC screw tsn theres no way they should be be able to play it

CBC had plenty of time to renew the rights to the song and dropped the ball. CTV made a smart business move, since it gives them some added leverage next time the HNIC contract comes up.

CBC had plenty of time to renew the rights to the song and dropped the ball. CTV made a smart business move, since it gives them some added leverage next time the HNIC contract comes up.

Agreed. It's the same situation as we saw last year with Drury and Brier- the Sabres took their sweet-ass-time negotiating contracts and as a result they failed to retain two key components of their team.

This sucks for CBC but it was hardly out of their hands!

Smart business move for CTV, dumb move for CBC in letting their contract negotiations extend this long.

dammit, this means we'll have to listen to the iconic song and then...... listen to Pierre McGuire talk after it. :o

just kidding. but really, it's going to be kinda weird now not being able to hear it on Saturday nights.

Way to drop the ball CBC. A few days ago when this issue first came up I was reminded of the whole Ron McLean contract issue and figured the same thing would happen.....fans would complain by the thousands and it would all be fixed, guess not this time.

It is really going to be weird watching HNIC without that song though, it is synonymous with hockey on Saturday night (heck, I even have it on my iPod)

Interesting move by tsn (ctv) i suppose good for them. THough, not sure how I feel exactly. But I strongly approve of the kick in the teeth to cbc for being morons. I think what I will miss most though is while that song is playing, and the clips are rolling across the screen, they showed Stevey twice. And I always liked those two together.

Wow, slick move by CTV, and yet again, the CBC shows why it simply can't be successful...

Well, unlevel playing field because CTV is a private company with unlimited amounts of available funds, while CBC is publicly-owned.

People ***** and moan out of one side of their mouth when CBC doesn't ante up for a show or on-air talent, yet ***** out the other side of their mouth for wasting taxpayer money when they do.

CBC has probably the most incompetent management in television, but they get backed into a corner on some issues because of their status as a public broadcaster.

clearly i'm in the dark but...cbc lost the olympics?! how'd that happen?

They lost the rights to the Olympics to CTV/TSN a couple years ago starting with Vancouver 2010.

It looks like a very underhanded thing to do by TSN/CTV.

It seems kinda funny that CBC was bogged down in negotiations and arguements with the rights holder, and then TSN/CTV/RDS swooped in. It seemed like the rights holders were told to put up a big stink with CBC. They couldn't have done this in the few days since the story first came out. This had to have been going on behind the scenes for a while, and while CBC was concentrating on the finals, TSN/CTV was putting the final touches on the deal to acquire the theme.

let tsn have their song. whoop-de-doo. free advertising for HNiC every time they play that jingle. besides, in todays cable driven market the distinctions are blurred, akin to ABC/ESPN-TNT coverage for NBA. in the end, it just means more nat. coverage of Hockey in Canada... which doesn't hurt one iota!

ps. CBC has the Beijing Olympics... they no longer have the rights once into the 2010 (Vancouver) Games.

Guest redwingsfan04

coming from a canadian DOWN WITH CBC!!!

waste of taxpayer cash they are willing to waste money on other trash but they are not willing to pay the owner of the song 500 bucks a play

Oh well, HNIC is only good during the playoffs anyway. I for one have no intentions of watching the Leafs play every Saturday.....

Thankfully they've pledged to even things out in terms of team coverage. In particular they're increasing focus on the Habs for their centennial. Which means next to nothing in terms of Wings coverage, of course.

You know what the funniest thing is concerning the whole ordeal is, though? CBC is offering 100 000 bucks to put up a contest for a new HNIC song. Factoring in other expenses and bringing in a couple celebrity judges and all that jazz, CBC has spent cash in the hundreds of thousands of dollars so as to NOT use the hockey theme.

Oh well, HNIC is only good during the playoffs anyway. I for one have no intentions of watching the Leafs play every Saturday.....

Agreed, I never watch HNIC unless it's the playoffs or the Wings are on. TSN shows better games/teams anyway, so good for TSN.