• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheCaptain19

Jimmy Howard

Rate this topic

OK, so to get this thread out in the open before the flood comes. IS HE READY? Osgood said he believes Jimmy is ready to step in. I think so too. He's been waiting and I believe him and Ozzie will do a great job together. What are your thoughts? Im excited.

Guest mindfly

Howard/Larsson, could be anyone really... they could also sign a UFA/RFA goalie if needed

Perhaps Larsson wanna get used to small rinks and the north american way of playing hockey and play many games in grand rapids...

I dont think Howard is ready just yet... training camp will tell.

Edited by mindfly

Kenny Holland was on the radio this morning and he said Howard is "getting closer". He also mentioned the fact that "we'll have some money to spend and can be pretty aggressive".

IMO it looks like the Wings will go after a veteran goalie via free agency.

Oh and cool site... This is my first post. :)

Guest mindfly
Kenny Holland was on the radio this morning and he said Howard is "getting closer". He also mentioned the fact that "we'll have some money to spend and can be pretty aggressive".

Which goaltenders are available, i hope you dont mean like Kolzig or someone lol

I think he is ready....to back up. You guys gotta remember, we're not asking him to start, he's going to back up. Maybe he's not ready to start, but what will get him ready, playing 30 NHL games or 60 AHL games? It's time for him to get some NHL games, there's no risk because we got Osgood.

I think Howard is ready to be brought in to the NHL as well, but I think it will all come down to Larsson. What if he shows up to camp and steals the show? I think it is very possible. The guy is a great young goaltender, and in all honesty I can see him being our #1 down the road over Howard. I still think Howard has the best shot at being our #2 at this point in time, but I think training camp and the preseason will decide who goes where.

I think he is ready....to back up. You guys gotta remember, we're not asking him to start, he's going to back up. Maybe he's not ready to start, but what will get him ready, playing 30 NHL games or 60 AHL games? It's time for him to get some NHL games, there's no risk because we got Osgood.

Exactly. He has already had ample time in Grand Rapids to develop, what he needs to do now is to step it up a level and play with better players. It's do or die now. It's not like this is Toronto where they seem to destroy a goalie's confidence every other year. Detroit's D-men should be able to protect him enough that he will not get blown out very often. While we can't expect him to get a shut out every other game, our team will allow him to compete almost every game.

There is always a risk. What if Ozzie got hurt during the end of the season? We'd all be s***ting bricks then heh. I'd definitely say Howard (or Larsson) will back the team up at the start of the year, but if it doesn't pan out all to well, we'd have to go out and sign an older veteran, much like what Calgary did this past season with Joseph.

And they better be looking to trade Howard as well then. Howard simply needs to play this year, there is no way around it.

And he is ready. His butterfly and positioning is even better than Osgood's. He showed that this/last year in the 4 games he played. Two of which he started and played very, very well. What Howard NEEDS is EXPERIENCE, something which he won't get if Holland decides to go out shopping for another goalie.

Why do people assume hes not ready? He had an awesome training camp, and played very well in his games this year. And to think a few of those games were when we had huge injuries to our defense. Not to mention, the kid is 24 and has proved his worth at every other level of hockey.

And what if Osgood starts to go down hill at some point after next season? We'll have a Howard that wont have any NHL experience because some veteran backup was taking his place.

And if you guys think its going to be easy to sign Kolzig, think again. Folks are going to get into a bidding war over him due to the fact that there are very few goaltenders going into July with UFA status, and quite a few teams that are looking for a tender either as a backup or a starter.

If Howard plays some games throughout next season, and cant seem to cut it around January or February, then Holland can investigate his options at the deadline. Up til then, theres no better time to see what Howard can do with the team we have than now. A great team is a great situation for a starting goaltender to come into. He wont be hung out to dry by his teammates and can build up some confidence in that situation.

How can anyone be saying Howard is not ready??? He is way more than ready to back up Osgood. He had a good year in GR, and looked solid in the 4 games he played up here. What he needs is NHL experience, we cant let him sit in GR another year. In order for him to develop he needs to be up here backing up Ozzy for a few years.

I am very interested to see how Howard and Larsson play at the camp and preseason. I'd love to see either of them to earn 20-30 games next season. I don't think anyone here can say if they are NHL ready until they actually get to play there. The only problem is that if they both are very bad at the camp then it's propably too late to get a veteran backup. Most free agents are propably gone after July and getting a good goalie after that and before the trade deadline should be hard.

I found a list of UFA goalies:

Name Age Team 07-08 Salary

Jose Theodore 30 COL $6,000,000 (How about it Holland?)

Olaf Kolzig 37 WAS $5,450,000

Cristobal Huet 31 WAS $2,750,000

John Grahame 31 CAR $1,400,000

Johan Hedberg 34 ATL $1,150,000

Johan Holmqvist 29 DAL $1,000,000

Patrick Lalime 32 CHI $950,000

Jocelyn Thibault 32 BUF $760,000

Stephen Valiquette 29 NYR $635,000

David Aebischer 29 PHX $600,000

Alex Auld 26 BOS $600,000

Curtis Sanford 27 VAN $600,000

Michael Leighton 26 CAR $550,000

Jean-Sebastien Aubin 29 ANA $525,000

Mike Morrison 27 NJD $525,000

Fred Brathwaite 34 ATL $500,000

Frederic Cassivi 32 WAS $500,000

Scott Clemmensen 29 TOR $500,000

Ty Conklin 31 PIT $500,000

Dan Ellis 27 NAS $500,000

Jordan Sigalet 26 BOS $500,000

Wade Dubielewicz 28 NYI $500,000

Guest mindfly

ELLIS ELLIS ELLIS... he was a monster during the first round of this playoffs

ELLIS ELLIS ELLIS... he was a monster during the first round of this playoffs

I'd hardly feel comfortable signing an unproven goalie who had a great 2nd half of the season over a tendy that's been hailed as a "can't miss" prospect. It's now or never for Howard, you can't leave him in the minors forever.

how is Howard ready? ive barely watched much of him, but isnt he without a win in the NHL? and the few times he played last year he seemed to really struggle.... not very promising looking at our goalie of the future.

how is Howard ready? ive barely watched much of him, but isnt he without a win in the NHL? and the few times he played last year he seemed to really struggle.... not very promising looking at our goalie of the future.

Your post could not be more off. I don't think he struggled at all. In his 5 games played this season, the Wings lost:

1-4

0-1

1-5

2-4

I'm sorry, but when you average a goal per game, your goalie doesn't have much of a chance of winning. He had a 2.13 GAA and a .926 sv %. Tell me how that is a "struggle."

Your post could not be more off. I don't think he struggled at all. In his 5 games played this season, the Wings lost:

1-4

0-1

1-5

2-4

I'm sorry, but when you average a goal per game, your goalie doesn't have much of a chance of winning. He had a 2.13 GAA and a .926 sv %. Tell me how that is a "struggle."

touche.

but my point still remains. he has yet to win a game. but i must clarify: i do not know much about him just what ive seen in those few games.