• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Real1

Justin Abdelkader

Rate this topic

In my eyes I beleive that he has to earn his spot on the roster. He has skills but I think that he is not good enough to just be given a spot.

Does anyone think he needs to spend a year or two with GR? What is everyone thinking?

Guest Crymson
In my eyes I beleive that he has to earn his spot on the roster. He has skills but I think that he is not good enough to just be given a spot.

Does anyone think he needs to spend a year or two with GR? What is everyone thinking?

He has played one game in a Wings jersey. That's not enough for any of us to be judging his skill level.

Helm is the only new guy who has earned a roster spot. He was brilliant in the playoffs, especially in the finals.

Has to earn it. No one just gets roster spots with this club, and a year in GR would probably be good for him to learn how to cope with a long season.

Many people have "Just been given a spot". Hank, Pavel, Ozzie, Homer, Lids, Fischer, ect... But I get your point.

Do you think that he is first line material for GR?

he needs to earn his spot.

but on a happy sidenote: i did a roster update on my NHL 08 and Abdelkader was created and placed on the team... a few years down the line in my dynasty, he is 90 overall with blazing speed and hitting. lets hope they're right!!

he needs to earn his spot.

but on a happy sidenote: i did a roster update on my NHL 08 and Abdelkader was created and placed on the team... a few years down the line in my dynasty, he is 90 overall with blazing speed and hitting. lets hope they're right!!

I think that he will develop in to this type of player. I think that he will have Drakes hitting ability, Drapers speed, and Hank/Pavels hands. He will turn into something else....

eh, i watched him play for michigan state this college hockey season. if he had gone to u of m, i'd say give him the spot :P yeah send him to GR.

as a michigan grad student and watching him against Michigan this last season I second this notion.

I think that he will develop in to this type of player. I think that he will have Drakes hitting ability, Drapers speed, and Hank/Pavels hands. He will turn into something else....

I see him becoming more of a checking line winger who is good for 15-20 goals, 40-45 points a year. Think late '90s Darren McCarty. I also believe he'll be on a line with Helm before too long. He's going to be a real nice player for us, but the player you're describing is like Eric Lindros in his prime.

Many people have "Just been given a spot". Hank, Pavel, Ozzie, Homer, Lids, Fischer, ect... But I get your point.

A player can "earn" a spot in training camp as well. The AHL is not the only spot for that.

He had only 2 games of regular season time and no playoff experience. I think the only way he gets a roster spot if he just completely kicks butt in training camp or impresses so much in Grand Rapids or during a call-up. He'll get his time on the Wings before long, but I doubt it happens anytime soon during the beginning of next season.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

......So a faster ovechkin?

i have a feeling they'll start him in the big leagues and then move him down if need be. he wouldnt have left MSU a year early for the minors...he probably has some kind of agreement with holland cause theres no way he leaves college a year for the minor leagues.

I see him becoming more of a checking line winger who is good for 15-20 goals, 40-45 points a year. Think late '90s Darren McCarty. I also believe he'll be on a line with Helm before too long. He's going to be a real nice player for us, but the player you're describing is like Eric Lindros in his prime.

I totally agree there. I can really see a Kopecky/Helm/Abdelkader being a 3rd or 4th line for our team down the road, and a really good one to. Kind of like what Maltby/Draper/DMac were for us back in their days.

No offence, but it seems like kind of a dumb question to me... everyone has to earn their spot on the roster, especially a guy who has played 1 game. I don't think he will find a spot on the Wings at all next year except for a few games here and there for injury time.

The wings are projecting Helm/Abdelkader as the future versions of Draper/Maltby. I think Helm could be with the big club next year, but Abdelkader will be in Grand Rapids. The Wings go slow with their prospects, unless they have a large upside like Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

He has played one game in a Wings jersey. That's not enough for any of us to be judging his skill level.

Helm is the only new guy who has earned a roster spot. He was brilliant in the playoffs, especially in the finals.

:thumbup: Agreed. I can't count the number of times I commented to my gf on how fast Helm was. Fast, tenacious and hardworking. Exactly what the Wings value in a player.

I'm loving the Hudler Helm combination. Throw Kopecky in there for his grit and you've got: a talented puck handler, a speedster who can retrieve the puck and a hardworking bruiser who's young enough to keep up. :siren: Sounds like a good 4th line to me!

Abdelkader played fantastic in his call-up. He's been fantastic for his college team but he's yet to experience the rigors of an 82 game, two games in two nights type of season.

He's not Hank or Pavel- he projects as a checking winger with some potential for offensive upside. Give him the GR treatment and see what he does with it.

Hopefully he steps it up in GR and knocks the socks of the Red Wings' brass.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

i have a feeling they'll start him in the big leagues and then move him down if need be. he wouldnt have left MSU a year early for the minors...he probably has some kind of agreement with holland cause theres no way he leaves college a year for the minor leagues.

LOTS of guys leave college early for the minors. Jimmy Howard and Kyle Okposo are 2 names off the top of my head. There's a huge difference between NCAA hockey and NHL hockey.

There are at most 3 forward spots open, 2 if they keep 8 defensemen, 1 if McCarty is re-signed... and a lot of prospects fighting for a chance, not to mention any free agents that are brought back or added to the mix. Abdelkader starts the year in GR.

Nobody just "gets a spot". The coaches and management do a great job of preparing a player for the NHL lineup. Let him show his stuff in GR and earn his roster spot. Helm (and others) have already shown what they can do. If Abdlekader is given a spot, even if some open up when people either retire or aren't resigned I would hope that Kenny will do something in free agency if at all possible.

:battle:

No one has ever "just been given a spot." Not playing in the AHL does not mean you were just given a spot, you earned it in training camp. Some guys demonstrate their readiness for the NHL in training camp, while others need more develop and head to the AHL first. For the record, of your list, Osgood and Fischer have spent time in the AHL.

He'd have to play extremely well in training camp and beat out a lot of players to get on the Wings... I am sure there was no "guarantee" in place for him to leave college. He is just getting into the minors earlier in the hopes of making the NHL earlier.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Fillpula - Samuelsson

Maltby - Draper - Cleary

Hudler - Kopecky - ______

Now you have: Helm, Leino and Abdelkader (maybe even Drake) all duking it out for that last slot w/ McCarty and/or Downey as a reserve (mucker/enforcer).

Edited by egroen