• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SFwingsfan

Lidstrom and Osgood, do they get their numbers retired?

Rate this topic

First off - I am a goalie so I always stick by the goalies - and I think Sawchuck is one of the greatest ever to put on the pads.

To say Osgood is not even close to Sawchuck is just wrong. The only place that Osgood can't touch Sawchuck is in shutouts (as if anyone could).

Wings Career:

Player games wins losses gaa win%

Sawchuck 734 351 243 2.44 47.8

Osgood 485 279 128 2.40 57.8

if you figure gaa without the shutout games then Sawchuck ballons up to 2.73 and Osgood barely rises up to 2.48. That only shows that Sawchuck tended to be a little less consistent in what he gave up

Playoffs:

Sawchuck 85 46 33 2.00 54.1

Osgood 87 52 37 2.45 59.8

Both have 3 Cups (admittedly Ozzie had to watch Vernon win one from the bench).

If Osgood can play above .500 for a few more years he should hold all of the Wings records in net except shutouts and Vezina trophies. It would also put him at least top 10 in career stats for goalies. To say it is because he is an above average goalie on a great team could also be said of Sawchuck (look at the cup runs in both careers and some of the greats they both played with).

Another cup or a Vezina should make him a solid lock for the HOF if he isn't already. As far as getting his number in the rafters, who can say. It depends on what the criteria actually is and that can be debated forever. If it is on stats, then it should happen up the road. If it is because of popularity then I can't ever see another goalie getting up there. Being a goalie in Detroit is not a job to take if being popular is high on your list of needs.

If 30 goes up in the rafters, I don't see it being anything quick like Stevie. I expect the honor to come when Ozzie has been out of the league for 10 -15 years at least and everyone can look back on his era with nostalgia.

As others have said, another cup or a Vezina or 450-500 wins and it should be a certainty - with it being on the edge now. It could go either way based on the next few years of his career and it is his to earn or lose.

Honestly, for Osgood STILL has a meh about him outside of those who carry a torch for him. Personally I think Aurie should be returned to where he belongs before Osgood has his number retired. I think he's bettered his chances for HOF, but it'll take time because of a logjam of others deserving by that point. Plus I have to think about it.

Lids... K. No thought needed.

Pimadonnaov... Your grandchildren might see it, but while an Iilich owns/runs the team it won't happen.

First off - I am a goalie so I always stick by the goalies - and I think Sawchuck is one of the greatest ever to put on the pads.

To say Osgood is not even close to Sawchuck is just wrong. The only place that Osgood can't touch Sawchuck is in shutouts (as if anyone could).

Wings Career:

Sawchuck 734 351 243 2.44 47.8

Osgood 485 279 128 2.40 57.8

if you figure gaa without the shutout games then Sawchuck ballons up to 2.73 and Osgood barely rises up to 2.48. That only shows that Sawchuck tended to be a little less consistent in what he gave up

Playoffs:

Sawchuck 85 46 33 2.00 54.1

Osgood 87 52 37 2.45 59.8

Both have 3 Cups (admittedly Ozzie had to watch Vernon win one from the bench).

If Osgood can play above .500 for a few more years he should hold all of the Wings records in net except shutouts and Vezina trophies. It would also put him at least top 10 in career stats for goalies. To say it is because he is an above average goalie on a great team could also be said of Sawchuck (look at the cup runs in both careers and some of the greats they both played with).

Another cup or a Vezina should make him a solid lock for the HOF if he isn't already. As far as getting his number in the rafters, who can say. It depends on what the criteria actually is and that can be debated forever. If it is on stats, then it should happen up the road. If it is because of popularity then I can't ever see another goalie getting up there. Being a goalie in Detroit is not a job to take if being popular is high on your list of needs.

If 30 goes up in the rafters, I don't see it being anything quick like Stevie. I expect the honor to come when Ozzie has been out of the league for 10 -15 years at least and everyone can look back on his era with nostalgia.

As others have said, another cup or a Vezina or 450-500 wins and it should be a certainty - with it being on the edge now. It could go either way based on the next few years of his career and it is his to earn or lose.

Osgood could beat some of Sawchuck's team records, but stats aren't everything. Osgood will never be considered anywhere as good as Sawchuck. Also, for all the stats nuts here, the hockey hall of fame is not the most stat-friendly hall of fame.

If Fedorov and Shanahan aren't going to have their numbers retired, then neither should Osgood.

I strongly disagree with that statement. Shanny spent a lot of his years with various teams. Fedorov would have had his retired not he walked away. Ozzie, would be the likeliest of the trio to have his retired. He has three cups and many Red Wing records for a goaltender. Also, if he is somehow able to pass Sawchuk's record for wins in a Wings uniform, there would be no question that his number gets retired.

Osgood is a professional, a class act, a calm, collected, loyal, deserving player. The problem is that there are only, what, 91 numbers left?

hehehe true... with this is mind it should be about 1 number every decade or so.... maybe even longer because you can't retire too many numbers!

but Lids yes, Ozzie... baring in mind my previous comments, he'd get pushed aside for Lids to be retired.

Ok, here are my cases.

Lids - Absolutely. The NHL might as well rename the Norris Trophy the Lidstrom Trophy. It'll be a while before we see another defenseman in the National Hockey League who is as consistantly good as Nick Lidstrom is. It just wouldn't be right seeing another Red Wing wearing the number 5.

Ozzie - This may be just homerism, but I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. As I said above, I don't see anyone else wearing the number 30, it's been Ozzies since 1993. No goalie wore it while he was gone. And if he's able to break Terry Sawchuk's records and make the HOF, why not?

Nick: Is this even a question? If they DON'T retire his number within 30 seconds of his announcing his retirement, I will go to Detroit and bitchslap someone.

Ozzie: If he can break Sawchuk's records and make the HOF (which I think he will do anyway), then absolutely. It would be a damn shame if the winningest goalie in Red Wings history didn't have his number retired. I understand that to get your number raised to the rafters at the Joe, you need to be above and beyond players on any other team, but what Ozzie has quietly done in his tenure here should not go unnoticed by anyone.

Lidstrom...hell ******* yes...what sorta dummy wouldnt?

Osgood...no so freaking sure...lets see what happens in the next couple of years..we win 1 or 2 more cups then oh yeah baby 2 how could he not???

brutus