• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Sharp: Wings should retire Hasek's "39"

Rate this topic

Even i will admit no. Maybe if Dom would have not retired the first time and was our goalie from 2001-2008 then maybe a better chance but still probably not a shot. Hasek deserves his 39 retired in Buffalo and hopefully that happens soon! :unsure:

Guest LivingtheDream

Jesus, why not just retire every number for any Wing who had so and so many points, led the league a season in this or that... or how about made more than 2 million a year. No, the place Dom's number should be retired is Buffalo, but he left long ago.

I swear, this is not something you just five away to any great guy, any great player. The criteria is much higher. He wins us one Cup and his number is retired? Jesus, think with your heads, not your fan homer heart.

Not a chance.

Lidstrom? Yes. 4 Cups, captain, 5 (6?) Norris trophies, first-team All-Star 7 times, all with Detroit.

Hasek? No. Maybe if he'd played his whole career with Detroit (and how many extra Cups would that be...).

Should Buffalo retire #39 in Hasek's honor? Yes.

Should Detroit retire #39 in Hasek's honor? No.

The Brett Hull route. His number was retired in St. Louis where he was the face of the franchise for years. Not in Dallas or Detroit where he won the cup.

Hasek's number should be retired in Buffalo

Not a chance.

Lidstrom? Yes. 4 Cups, captain, 5 (6?) Norris trophies, first-team All-Star 7 times, all with Detroit.

Hasek? No. Maybe if he'd played his whole career with Detroit (and how many extra Cups would that be...).

Lidstrom will be retired.

Osgood brings up an interesting argument, partly because of the history of Wings goalies. The last goalie the Red Wings had other than Ozzy that started more than 3 seasons was.... Greg Stefan from 84'-89'. Osgood has been a staple in the Wings goal compared to the circus of other goalies we've gone through. With 2 (3) cups already, and the possibility for more, he may have a case once he retires.

Well, I would at least give it a semi retirement, (nobody else gets to use it) and I bet thats what will probably happen since I can't think of any other players that have the 39 as their number.

If this was Buffalo then yes. But as long as Harry Lumley and Roger Crozier do not have their numbers retired than by no means should Hasek.

Three years should never get a number retired. Even if it is Gretzky.

Franzen might want it back..

Sharp needs to cram another doughnut into his cram hole. The Wings should retire Dom's #39?!? "No, man. No. Hell no! I believe you'd get your ass beat for saying something like that."

If this happens, I'm going to start a petition that they retire Boyd Devereaux's # 21.

Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

2000-01 Detroit Red Wings NHL 55 5 6 11 14 2 0 0 0 0

2001-02 Detroit Red Wings NHL 79 9 16 25 24 21 2 4 6 4

2002-03 Detroit Red Wings NHL 61 3 9 12 16 -- -- -- -- --

2003-04 Detroit Red Wings NHL 61 6 9 15 20 3 1 0 1 0

:ranting:

Its not going to happen, but he still will be remembered as one of the greats that has come through here. The next number to go up there will be 5. After that we will be waiting a little while to see anything else go up.

Career third liners do NOT get their numbers retired. No matter how popular they are.

But he has played a KEY role in all 4 cups that we have won. I believe that there has to be at least some consideration....

Well, I would at least give it a semi retirement, (nobody else gets to use it) and I bet thats what will probably happen since I can't think of any other players that have the 39 as their number.

If this was Buffalo then yes. But as long as Harry Lumley and Roger Crozier do not have their numbers retired than by no means should Hasek.

Three years should never get a number retired. Even if it is Gretzky.

Hold on, I bought a puck when I went to game 5 against Dallas. It was signed by Franzen WITH his ORIGINAL number (39!) He switched when he found out Dom was un-retiring. I think Franzen might possibly want his number back now.

no no, no no no. I think Hasek was a detrimental part to the Wings success over the past years, but definitely not worthy of having his name up with the likes of Howe and Yzerman.

Besides, living in Denver, I can get an Av's fan to give a real reason why they retired Bourque's number. Then I would be in the same boat. :ranting:

I'm guessing you meant "instrumental?"

And as everyone else has already said, this is a ridiculous idea.

nope nada no way no how, i agree with all of ya hang it in buffalo but not in the joe... on that note, if we sign fedorov to his end his carreeer here what do you think the odds are of his number hanging? (hmm sounded like a legit question in my head.

p.s. and i hope in 10-15 years we see 13 and 40 hanging there, after they win us 5 or 6 more cups :)

The Wings have a problem that few teams have had to deal with. We've had TOO MANY amazing HOFers play for this team. We just can't retire them all, and I'm a believer that you only get your number retired if you play your whole (or most of) your career with a team.