• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Torless

Year of the Osgood

Rate this topic

With practically everyone agreeing that Osgood is a newly invented goaltender, this next season could be his best opportunity to silence the naysayers for good.

Sure winning the Cup for the 2nd time is a huge boost to his career - especially against the East conf. powerhouse Pens - but I think most analysts are skeptical regarding his ability to come back into a starting role, playing 50+ games.

I believe in Osgood whether he's HHOF material or not - and I'm excited for him to return in force. I for one hope that Babcock gives him the opportunity to play 70 games... considering that (counting the playoffs) Ozzie went 43-13-4... I think he could net 50 wins with the help of our amazing D. Maybe finally they will consider him for a Vezina nod, as we all know they'll never consider a split-season goalie.

I'm not one of these Ozzie fan boys who think he's the savior - but this year I think he has deserved the attention over Nabokov and Lundqvist at the very least.

At any rate a great season for the Oz - great season for Detroit fans - let's repeat in '09!

70 games? Are you nuts?

There's absolutely no reason for him to play over 55. 50 would be plenty for him, especially if the Wings bring up Howard.

I'm not saying they will play him for 70 games, but I think he's earned it. Kiprusoff, Nabokov, Brodeur, Miller, Lundqvist, Luongo, all played over 70 games... Vokoun played 69, Ward 69, Biron 62... it's not uncommon.

And Jimmy Howard, though making great strides isn't necessarily ready to take on 30 games in the NHL. Not even close.

Edited by Torless

You can't have a 36 year old goalie play over 70 games in the regular season. I've only seen Howard a couple times, so you'll have to help me out here, but is he ready for 30-40 games? If he's not capable of that, there's Ty Conklin or Wade Dubielewicz. They wouldn't be bad stop gaps till Howard is ready for the big time.

You can't have a 36 year old goalie play over 70 games in the regular season. I've only seen Howard a couple times, so you'll have to help me out here, but is he ready for 30-40 games? If he's not capable of that, there's Ty Conklin or Wade Dubielewicz. They wouldn't be bad stop gaps till Howard is ready for the big time.

I disagree - obviously Brodeur still plays a lion's share... and maybe that's just Brodeur, but Lidstrom plays every game and is older than the Oz... sees more action than Oz too...

70 games? Are you nuts?

There's absolutely no reason for him to play over 55. 50 would be plenty for him, especially if the Wings bring up Howard.

Absolutely agreed. Although Oz will be our #1 next year, it is an excellent chance to get Howard experience. There is also the opportunity to give Larsson a game or two depending on how he does. It's a perfect time to test our young talent so there is no reason to give Ozzie close to 70 games.

I'm not saying they will play him for 70 games, but I think he's earned it. Kiprusoff, Nabokov, Brodeur, Lundqvist, Luongo, all played over 70 games... Vokoun played 69, Biron 62... it's not uncommon.

And Jimmy Howard, though making great strides isn't necessarily ready to take on 30 games in the NHL. Not even close.

And YOU know the bolded part how?

And YOU know the bolded part how?

Have you followed the Griffins at all? Uh...

And the fact that Holland is even considering looking for another veteran goalie backup says it all.

Have you followed the Griffins at all? Uh...

And the fact that Holland is even considering looking for another veteran goalie backup says it all.

If he were not even close, do you think Holland would be entertaining the idea or hunting down a back up.

I love the way so many of you state your opinions as if they are known facts like you are a scout for the team!!

I disagree - obviously Brodeur still plays a lion's share... and maybe that's just Brodeur, but Lidstrom plays every game and is older than the Oz... sees more action than Oz too...

Brodeur has been playing 70 games each year and he's burned out when its time for the playoffs. Same with Kiprusoff. Lidstrom does play every game, but based on what I've seen from players in the past, playing goal wears you out more. Ozzie hasn't played that many games in his whole career, I don't think we should start now. There's more than enough capable FA goalies out there that can play 30-40 games, if Howard cannot.

If he were not even close, do you think Holland would be entertaining the idea or hunting down a back up.

I love the way so many of you state your opinions as if they are known facts like you are a scout for the team!!

This is a forum. It is implied that what we "know" is our opinion. I think someone's taking this a bit seriously. :rolleyes:

I believe based on Howard's performance and from the reports I've read that he isn't ready for what translates to a near season-split with Osgood. 50 games for Osgood means 32 for Howard... not saying it won't happen, just not likely at this point.

Ozzie put to rest all the naysayers with a Stanley Cup Ring. He's won one as a stand up goalie, and now as a butterfly goalie. He's an elite goalie. Period. Anyone who wants to disagree can step outside.

See maybe here is MY problem, I post things and say they are my opinion, I use phrases like I think or I see this happening.

The last thing I do on an internet forum is assume anything about the topic or the person posting it, I take it at face value.

I agree 32 games is unlikely for Howard, but Larsson may get 5-10. Not sure how it will work out, but what is the point in bringing in a guy like Conklin when you POTENTIALLY a better netminder in house.

There is only one way to find out if Larsson or Howard can cut it in the NHL, and that is not in GR for another year.

IMO, Ozzie is the best mentor for Howard, let him back up Ozzie for 2 years, learn from a guy who has been through it all, reinvented himself and still has come out a winner.

Does that mean it will work out, not at all, but since draft day J-Ho has been touted as a can't miss franchise goaltender, do you really want to give that up because he was never tested at the NHL level. As mentioned before Liv never lived (pun unintended) up to expectations. He never got used to the NA game. Now with Howard he has shown consistency and I say the loss he suffered to Dallas when the top D pairing was Lilja and Lebda showed what he can do. I am not a hockey scout so my opinion may be off, but the guy has played 3 seasons as the starter in the AHL, the only reason he can't handle 30 in the NHL is if he just doesn't have the skill. If that is the case, than (in my best David Spade) BUH - BYE!!!!

Stamina should not be an issue, it will all come down to can he stop the puck at an NHL level, and none of us can say yes or no to that with any reasoning to back it up. Because he hasn't had that chance.

Which is why I asked how you knew for sure that he was no where near ready.

I'm not saying they will play him for 70 games, but I think he's earned it. Kiprusoff, Nabokov, Brodeur, Miller, Lundqvist, Luongo, all played over 70 games... Vokoun played 69, Ward 69, Biron 62... it's not uncommon.

And all those goalies you just listed burned out in the playoffs if not before. Besides, Howard is ready to take on 25-30 games in the NHL behind this Wings defense.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Does that mean it will work out, not at all, but since draft day J-Ho has been touted as a can't miss franchise goaltender, do you really want to give that up because he was never tested at the NHL level. As mentioned before Liv never lived (pun unintended) up to expectations. He never got used to the NA game. Now with Howard he has shown consistency and I say the loss he suffered to Dallas when the top D pairing was Lilja and Lebda showed what he can do. I am not a hockey scout so my opinion may be off, but the guy has played 3 seasons as the starter in the AHL, the only reason he can't handle 30 in the NHL is if he just doesn't have the skill. If that is the case, than (in my best David Spade) BUH - BYE!!!!

Which is why I asked how you knew for sure that he was no where near ready.

Once again - and maybe this is where the miscommunication is, but I believe it is implied by blogging that these are all opinions unless otherwise quoted and referenced. What I'm saying is that Howard isn't ready for 30 games yet... being a starter in Grand Rapids aside, he hasn't even earned that many games at this point. Maybe Ozzie getting 70 games is a pipe-dream and unrealistic - even foolish - but it's been a long time since he's been given that opportunity and he deserves the most they can afford. Howard's good - and potentially a great goalie... I think he should be used when needed, though.

And all those goalies you just listed burned out in the playoffs if not before. Besides, Howard is ready to take on 25-30 games in the NHL behind this Wings defense.

The reason their teams lost this year was because they were bested - not because their goalies played 70 games. Plenty of workhorse goalies have made it to the cup before.

Once again - and maybe this is where the miscommunication is, but I believe it is implied by blogging that these are all opinions unless otherwise quoted and referenced. What I'm saying is that Howard isn't ready for 30 games yet... being a starter in Grand Rapids aside, he hasn't even earned that many games at this point. Maybe Ozzie getting 70 games is a pipe-dream and unrealistic - even foolish - but it's been a long time since he's been given that opportunity and he deserves the most they can afford. Howard's good - and potentially a great goalie... I think he should be used when needed, though.

Of course he deserves the most the Wings can afford....no one is questioning that. What most are questioning is the ramifications of giving Oz that many starts.

Problem #1: He could very easily get burned out seeing as that he's played an average of 32 games the past three regular seasons. Your talking about over doubling that workload for a guy that is a year older and played some of his best hockey when he came in *fresh*.

Problem #2: 10-12 games isn't much of a practice sample to determine whether or not Howard is our guy going forward. 25-30 games is pretty indicative.

This has nothing to do with what Oz has "earned" and everything to do with whats good for the Wings.

Note: See my signature.

Man and here I was silly in thinking that with Osgood's spectacular season, all-star appearance, and 2, two, duece,and II Stanely Cup rings had already silenced the naysayers. And if it has not then it is more likely the possibility that the naysayer is a tool.

The reason their teams lost this year was because they were bested - not because their goalies played 70 games. Plenty of workhorse goalies have made it to the cup before.

And a better majority of those didn't or ended up losing as well.

I beg to differ.

In Brodeur's case, he was CLEARLY burnt out. He was absolutely horrible in the playoffs this year and the way he played, I honestly think even the Sens could have beaten him. He had a 3.18 GAA and a .891 SV%, his worst postseason showing in 10 years.

Marty's not a young guy anymore and he clearly needs to defer some of the workload to his backup, whoever that is these days, if he wants to have any hope of being fresh for the postseason (provided the Devils can make it that far next season).

Of course he deserves the most the Wings can afford....no one is questioning that. What most is questioning is the ramifications of giving Oz that many starts.

Problem #1: He could very easily get burned out seeing as that he's played an average of 32 games the past three regular seasons. Your talking about over doubling that workload for a guy that is a year older and played some of his best hockey when he came in *fresh*.

Problem #2: 10-12 games isn't much of a practice sample to determine whether or not Howard is our guy going forward. 25-30 games is pretty indicative.

This has nothing to do with what Oz has "earned" and everything to do with whats good for the Wings.

Note: See my signature.

Hey I love the Sig!!!! I have felt that way all season.

Man and here I was silly in thinking that with Osgood's spectacular season, all-star appearance, and 2, two, duece,and II Stanely Cup rings had already silenced the naysayers. And if it has not then it is more likely the possibility that the naysayer is a tool.

Once again, this has *nothing* to do with being a naysayer. I have 100% faith in Osgood, and absolutely believe he'll play at the level he did this past regular and post season all next year. This has to do with whats best for the *Wings* first and then *him* as well. Oz has proved he can come in while not being a workhorse and deliver the goods.

So why should Babs overwork him and possibly burn him out with 70 games next season, especially when Oz proved he could get the job done playing less games in the regular season and at the same time it would be the perfect opportunity to see if Howard will be the guy of the future?

Guest CaliWingsNut

I think Jimmy is likely more ready than most think, especially since he practiced all post-season w/ the wings.