• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Why is everyone against Sundin?

Rate this topic

Since the Wings took home the cup, I've been browsing around the forums looking at who the favorite pick-up for the summer would be. Now, I knew there were a couple of you that didn't want him even at the deadline, but for a summer pickup I'm completely surprised at the number of people on these boards that are against having him on our team. I have no idea why, either. He seems like he would be the perfect fit for our team.

Who's "against" Sundin?

I'm guessing most of us just don't find it economically feasible. Unless he signs a one year deal - which he wouldn't - we can't afford to pay this guy two or more years down the road.

Sundin's a great player that any team would love to have. You've got to keep your expectations realistic with free agency, though.

Probably because people are sick of hearing about what Filppula, Hudler, Cleary, and Franzen can do with more ice time. Personally, Im sick of hearing "well, if HudlerFilppulaClearyFranzen got regular top 6 ice time, they'd.....". I think its time we actually gave these guys their shot.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yep. The Tigers tried to fix something that wasn't broken, see how that's going. We have our new generation of core players right now. No need to bring in a guy who needs to be the lead gun when we don't need one.

JMHO.

I am definetly a Sundin fan. I think he could fit in really well here and do a great job. But I am guessing most who claim not to favor him, probably dont believe we need big changes and that he isn't in Detroits economic cards! (imo of course)

I just don't feel we need a big name signing that's all.. why spend the money when you don't have too? We have our core players locked and now all we need is our young guns to keep imporoving. If that happens then we'll still going to be a better team next year..

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The thing is, there are 29 other teams that are going to be making fixes in the off-season, and if we just sit around, one of these teams may just sneak past us in terms of skill. People have expressed concern that if Drake retires, we may loose some of that competitive hunger for the cup, and others have complained about the inconsistencies in our second line scoring. Furthermore, others were dissapointed in the fact that we had a full $5M in capspace going into the playoffs that went to waste.

I'm not looking at next year as fixing something that "ain't broke". I'm looking at it more as keeping ahead of the competition, something I think Sundin would be a perfect fit for.

My issue is $7,000,000 for an aged rental. That is what is estimated to be his asking price. That is too much.

Anything over $3 million is too much for him. He's good, but what we already have is better. If he really wants a Cup he should pay for it, not the Wings.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

My issue is $7,000,000 for an aged rental. That is what is estimated to be his asking price. That is too much.

The "rental" term doesn't really apply to free agent signings..because you're not really giving anything up other than money, which isn't much of a problem, especailly when you have it to give. 7 might be a bit much, but around 5-6 would be legit.

We do need to improve. There were many teams dangerously close to winning. Anyone think the Sharks would have sucked if they had a good coach and some decent defense? A few tweaks and they are there.

How about Pittsburgh? They're going to be a real threat, if they can keep all their players.

Dallas? Have we forgotten that quickly how dangerous they were? They'll be back with even more pickups.

The fact is our secondary scoring stepped up in the playoffs but they weren't consistent during the regular season. We need more from them in order to stay ahead of the curve. We've lost our goalie tandem that helped us so much, so that's a hurdle we need to overcome by keeping our defensive corps together and adding another scoring forward to keep our offensive touch going at a time when we could easily slip into Anaheim-like defensive play (though I don't see that happening with Dats and Z).

A second line scorer would be exactly what we need, preferably someone hungry for a cup to keep this team hungry.

The "rental" term doesn't really apply to free agent signings..because you're not really giving anything up other than money, which isn't much of a problem, especailly when you have it to give. 7 might be a bit much, but around 5-6 would be legit.

I consider "rental" anyone wanting to play for one season or less. And 5-6 is still too much to give for a player of his age. 3 is where I would be interested.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Who's "against" Sundin?

I'm guessing most of us just don't find it economically feasible. Unless he signs a one year deal - which he wouldn't - we can't afford to pay this guy two or more years down the road.

Sundin's a great player that any team would love to have. You've got to keep your expectations realistic with free agency, though.

GET YOUR QUOTE BUTTONS READY BOYS: EZBAKETHAGANGSTA IS GOING TO KEEP HUDLER ON THE 4th Line in this scenario

The Thing with Sundin is, hes a maple leaf true and through but probaly wants a cup. I actaully wouldnt be suprised for him to sign a one year deal with us and than one more with the leafs. Swedish + contender discount = Sundin at 5 Million? possible, not probable but nothing outrageous. I doubt it would happen but just imagine this force

Datsyuk- Zetterberg- Holmstrom (Dominant Scoring line One)

-Filpulla- Sundin- Franzen (Dominant scoring line Two)

Maltby-Draper- Cleary (well above average checking line)

Hudler-Helm-Sammy (BEST 4th LINE IN THE NHL? I think so in terms of talent)

D-MAc Abdelkader ( Kopecky is shippd for like an 6th roudner or s***)

Lidstrom-Raffi

Kronwall-Stewart

Lebda-Ericcson

Chelios

Osgood

Howard

Who's "against" Sundin?

Yea we can only afford to sign Sundin for one year. Zetterberg needs to be signed long term after 2008-09, so we need the cap space.

Montreal would be a better fit for Mats.

Yea we can only afford to sign Sundin for one year. Zetterberg needs to be signed long term after 2008-09, so we need the cap space.

Montreal would be a better fit for Mats.

I really don't see him going Eastern Conference. None of them stand a good chance of winning a Cup anytime soon, except maybe Pittsburgh, who probably can't afford him. Not to mention he'd probably be inclined to play for a team that rarely plays Toronto.

I'll consider Sundin for 1 yr, 5 million and "I'm here to win the cup"

I agree. I would actually throw 4 mil at him and say "If you want the cup, you'll play for 4 mil, if not, bye." Thats it, no negotiation, no compromises. Put our money into Franzen and Zetterberg, keep the team together and give Sundin one chance at a one year deal. If he declines for more money or longer term, he doesn't really want the cup, he wants money. I'm not at all worried about other teams "passing us up" in the off season and I feel great about our roster going into next season without a single signing. That said, giving Sundin a one year deal at a huge discount couldn't hurt the team.

Don't we have like 10 million to play with next season?

If the cap goes up to 55 million, then yes close to 10 million. Roughly, it's more like 9.3 or something.

But Kenny will be looking to re-sign Stuart, and Flip obviously.

Than possibly D-Mac or Downey. Cheli is probably coming back. Lilja is a UFA. As well as Hartigan, and Drake if he doesn't retire.