• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

Detroit Red Wings 2008 1st round pick?

Rate this topic

Any ideas as to who the Wings are going to take with their 1st round pick? These are some of the names I found on mock drafts around the NHL. Erik Karlsson seems to be the big choice as of now, but that might be a reputation pick, just because the Wings have had success with Swedish Dmen.

Erik Karlsson

Ht/Wt:5.11/165 lbs

Position:D

Drafted From:Frolunda Jr.

James Livingston

6'1" 200

RW

3/8/90

Sault Ste Marie (OHL)

Aaron Ness

5'10/170

Defense

Roseau-HS

Maxime Sauvé

Center

5'11/167

1/30/90

QJMHL

Jake Gardiner

Defense

6'2/170

MinnetonKa HS (MN)

Karlsson is one that comes to mind - the only thing is he should get picked up before #30.

I think we're likely to see another D-man in the first round.

Surely we've got enough defenceman? Ericsson, Quincey, Kindl, Smith, Pyett all waiting in the wings. No need to draft another, unless of course we're drafting for best available and there's a clear standout with the 30th pick.

i have a feeling it might be a goalie...

considering Howard and Larsson are the only goalie prospects with a chance of the NHL in our stable. We've got enough defensemen.

Surely we've got enough defenceman? Ericsson, Quincey, Kindl, Smith, Pyett all waiting in the wings. No need to draft another, unless of course we're drafting for best available and there's a clear standout with the 30th pick.

It's pretty important to draft quality defensemen. Of those listed I only see three of them making an impact (Ericsson, Kindl and Smith). I really doubt Logan Pyett will play NHL either. If he does, he'll just be a 5-6 Dman. And I think with the amount of awesome defenders in this draft (especially from the WHL) we'll get a chance at a great Dman even with pick #30.

You also have to remember Lidstrom will retire within 5 years, Rafalski soon after and we need to make sure our defensive core is strong. Good D is without a doubt the most important ingredient to having a championship side IMO. I've never seen a Cup winner without a good defensive system.

I think we can afford ONE year of going after someone to add offensive punch to the team that we don't have to shop for. I'd presonally like to see the Wings go for a forward first and foremost this time 'round.

I think we can afford ONE year of going after someone to add offensive punch to the team that we don't have to shop for. I'd presonally like to see the Wings go for a forward first and foremost this time 'round.

Yeah I expect my opinion won't be shared by many. I'm all about the D. That's just me.

I would be happy to get a great young forward though if one is available.

Something I was thinking about yesterday. What would it take to trade up to the third pick with Atlanta? They need defense badly and we seem to have a surplus of quality young defensemen.

Not much. Probably just Zetterberg.

Something I was thinking about yesterday. What would it take to trade up to the third pick with Atlanta? They need defense badly and we seem to have a surplus of quality young defensemen.

I was thinkin about trading up as well. Quincey,Meech maybe a forward prospect and the 30th pick. The only problem with trading up is that the Wings probably wouldnt want to empty the prospect cupboard.

Edited by UP2HERE

At least he drops it lol unlike 3.99/4 of our roster, and he could play the game too, but knowing holland he would pick some1 thats not close to nhl due to his perfect roster ... so i don't expect any of this guys to be a pick he would pick someone thats not close to nhl so they can groom him into to their system slowly

Edited by KrazyGangsta

Not to point out the obvious but that roster just won the Cup so what is your point?

My point would be that there would actually be a player on the roster that could both play and drop the gloves *shanny

My point would be that there would actually be a player on the roster that could both play and drop the gloves *shanny

I think his point was that its not as important in the new NHL to drop the gloves. Look at the final,Laraque and McCarty hardly played.

Ya but just imagine having someone like shanny or even bertuzzi ... then other team wouldn't have a choice to make a laraque or mccarthy play ... meaning one less important player on their team ... considering this guy could play the game real good tho

My point would be sort of what UP2Here said and also that, this roster just won the cup and you appear to be complaining it doesn't have enough fighters. Well if the goal is to win the cup, and they did it with 3.99/4 of the roster not fighting why even bother changing that to 3.98/4?

Unless of course your answer is you like that style of play, and then it is a preference.