• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hillbillywingsfan

ESPN takes shots at Detroit sports teams

Rate this topic

That's true actually because I don't even count basketball as much of a sport (although I enjoy playing it, but that's just the point.... I CAN PLAY IT!) it's a game for anyone and the scoring is just silly... "OOO what was the score in the game last night?"..... "100-something to 120-something..... I forget". So the fact LA has basketball is a bit of a flop.

Plenty of cities in the United States have basketball teams as well as hockey teams, does that make them flops as well? How does having basketball make a city a flop?

Guest LivingtheDream

I read that article and I kept asking myself why? Why write this? There are so many cities with no champions in anything. Is there some kind of attitude toward Detroit, that we are somehow lucky or spoiled with the Wings, Pistons and even the Tigers two years ago? Hardly. My reaction to this guy is somewhere along "Get a llife."

And the little " I hope we are wrong" crap at the end of such a slam was really pathetic. Only a ***** who can't back up his vitriolic ranting all the way would say something like that.

Edited by LivingtheDream

OK, keep in mind, I did not research exact years and such, and consider that I am 32 years old, so I am going to pretty much go off my generation:

THE TIGERS:

'68 World Series Champs (not my generation, but we all know)

'84 World Series Champs

'87 Playoffs

'06 World Series runner-ups

*do NOT give up on this year's team*

THE PISTONS:

'88 NBA Champs

'89 NBA Champs

'04 (?) NBA Champs

*deep runs into the playoffs for 6 straight years*

THE LIONS:

'91 (?) one game away from the Super Bowl

but at least we had Barry Sanders

U of M:

'89 National Championship for basketball

'97 National Championship for football (as if anyone truly shared said title either)

The Fab Five may have their seasons "erased" but we know what we saw twice!

The football program, win or lose, never gets any respect nationally anyways, and I've seen great years!

Not looking it up, but how many National Championships did their hockey teams win?

MSU:

'79 National Championship for basketball

'01 (?) National Championship for basketball

Like U of M's hockey team, same question!

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, OUR WINGS:

'97 Stanley Cup Champions

'98 Stanley Cup Champions

'02 Stanley Cup Champions

'08 Stanley Cup Champions

'95 Stanley Cup runner ups

How many years have we made the playoffs in a row (sarcasm to the "reporter")?

How many deep runs into the playoffs have we gone?

As a sportsfan in the region of Detroit, considering what our teams have accomplished, compared to other teams that have done nothing, I can say I am content! If I do not see another winner in a decade or two, I can be somewhat happy, knowing that for 25+ years, Detroit and Michigan has had many many many reasons to celebrate! Why was this year's Stanley Cup win one that makes us all smile with pride? It is because we were NOT supposed to even be in the running, because these "great" and "knowledgeable" reporters and broadcasters said so! It is great to win, do not misquote me, but one thing I see here, is as long as our teams can compete and show that they give 100% effort, we back 'em 100%, regardless of championships! Hell, many of us live and die with the Lions! Also, let's not forget, the Wings, Tigers, and the Pistons are run by some of the best in the business, so tweaks here and there seem to be all that is needed, instead of a major overhaul and rebuild!

I see a bright NEAR future if ya ask me!