• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sdogg1m

Rafalski's Game Five Goal

Rate this topic

I just watched half of the game five third period and the electricity of the crowd and team after Rafalski scored his goal is the best I have seen ever at the JLA.

Post if you remember a play that might have been better.

When Yzerman scored in double OT in game 7 against St. Louis in 96, that was loud.

Or, better yet, when they won the cup in 97 and 02...the instants the goal horn sounded it erupted with more energy.

But yeah Raffy's goal was wild and had the place rockin for sure

How 'bout:

Game 6 of the 1997 WCF, when we beat Colorado for the first time.

McCarty's Goal in Game 4 of the 1997 Final.

The 3rd Period comeback in Game 2 of the 1998 Final.

The 7-0 Game 7 in the 2002 WCF.

Shanny's empty net goal to seal the 2002 Cup.

The 7-0 Game 7 in the 2002 WCF

I think this feeling was more of a "I can't believe this is happening." Most people were elated too but the game was over by the end of the 1st period which was totally unexpected.

Edited by sdogg1m

Steve Yzerman's introduction before game 3, 1997 SCF.

I remember Mitch Albom saying how the roof of the joe was raised off it's hinges. My video of the game still gives me goosebumps.

OBTW, agree with those above as well.

The 3rd Period comeback in Game 2 of the 1998 Final.

I loved ole Dougie Brown. And Gary Thorn screaming his name. LOL. I miss Gary Thorn!

Edited by wingedone

I was at Game five and when Rafalski scored, my wife and I were starting to wonder if the ground was going to collapse under us. It was so damn loud and the ground was literally shaking. It literally felt like it was moving an inch or so up an down for the first 10-15 seconds after the goal. That was a phenomenal third period to see until the last 40 seconds.

I was at Game 2 of the SCF against Carolina, the wings were down 1-0 in the 3rd period, and the crowd was extremely loud. They were chanting GO RED, GO WHITE I think, and then Draper scored (I think) and the crowd went Apes***. Then the wings scored again to go up 2-1 within like 2-3 minutes and the place was on fire.

I just watched half of the game five third period and the electricity of the crowd and team after Rafalski scored his goal is the best I have seen ever at the JLA.

Post if you remember a play that might have been better.

The crowd went absolutely insane after that goal. Even though the end result of the game was devastating I have watched that goal so many times now, purely because of the crowd. So, so loud.

The crowd went absolutely insane after that goal. Even though the end result of the game was devastating I have watched that goal so many times now, purely because of the crowd. So, so loud.

Yeah, I was at Game 5 and after Rafalski scored, it was the loudest I've ever heard any arena. My brother was sitting right next to me and I had to yell into his ear for him to hear me.

Even though they lost the game, I'm proud to say I went: Longest Stanley Cup for Wings in history and 5th longest Stanley Cup game. Nothing bad about those stats :D

a part of game 5 i really enjoyed was late in the third, during a break in play, the PA played Journey's "Don't Stop Believing". The play started right after the line "Just a city boy..." and even though the PA stopped the whole crowd went "born and raised in south detroit!". So awesome! Loudest i have heard the Joe in awhile. On TV at least...

I'm not taking anything away from Rafalski's goal, but after thinking about it, I think the loudest I've heard the Joe on tv (never been to a playoffs game, and not counting when Yzerman lifted the Cup on home ice) was the entire 3rd period of Game 2 of the 1998 Final vs. Washington.

Just incase you weren't a fan then, or old enough to remember, we were up in the series 1-0, but down 3-1 in the game going into the 3rd:

-Yzerman made it 3-2 on a Short Handed Goal 5 minutes into the period.

-30 seconds later Washington scored on the PP to make it 4-2.

-A few minutes later Lapointe scored to make it 4-3.

-A few minutes after that Tikannen deked Osgood like crazy and had an open net. He tried to slide the puck in the net, but it went wide.

-A few more minutes after that, Brown tied the game, 4-4.

-We continued to pressure Kolzig. At one point late in the period, Kolzig made a save, the whistle blew, and with a pile of people in front of the net, the puck somehow slid it. It was no goal since the whistle blew a few seconds earlier, but the place went nuts thinking we went ahead.

We ended up winning the game 5-4 when Draper scored 15 minutes into OT.

Yea, that 3rd period goes down as the loudest I've ever heard the Joe on tv.

You have to feel bad for Rafalski a bit though. If the Wings had held on in regulation, that would have easily been on of the top goals ever scored in JLA. Imagine, local boy comes home to play for the team he grew up cheering and scores the Cup winning goal in dramatic fashion.

Same! I went absolutely nuts on that one.

....in my living room. :hehe:

src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /> Edited by PROBIE4PREZ

Dougie Brown-ov was awesome. That series was great. We were hanging out with some Caps fans in a bar in Atlanta during this series. Was a lot of fun.

Bring back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement!