• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TSM

Need a reason to love Osgood? Look here...

Rate this topic

Given the lack of respect or coverage regarding the Wing's recent Stanley Cup Championship, it is nice to see Osgood get some well deserved air-time and respect from Jim Rome. I've not always been a fan of the guy (Clarify here: I mean Rome, and not Osgood), but he respects modesty and honesty when he sees it. I'm so happy to have Osgood back with the Red Wings. Like any goalie for Detroit, it can be a rough road playing for this team. Kudos to Osgood for maintaining class and dignity. This interview sure beats the "skit" on Leno:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/06/os...is_burning.html

Edited by TSM

...funny, how many people on here didn't want Osgood back in Detroit? Or starting the playoffs? Now everyone loves him. Just goes to show, we as fans, really, know nothing...

however, on this board, whether we are right or not... there are several of us who back him through thick and thin. not just because of this championship he's helped deliver.

I've always felt as though Osgood was the guy quietly getting things done in the shadows, whether or not he was the "starter" so to speak. I really hated it when he left, despite all of the uproar that the Wings needed a legitimate number one goaltender. As I said above, it has to be one of the hardest jobs in all of sports in the last fifteen years or so given the success of the Wings over that time period. From a fan's point of view, I think many of us can be "fair weather" when it relates to a player having a bad performance and when it pertains to goalies, the "soft goals from the blue line" are tickets out of Detroit. But these guys are human; I never forget that. And I'm happy to hear that Chris has gotten some respect from fans, press, and is overwhelmingly aware of it. I'm happy to see him back, happy that he's the number one guy now, and ecstatic that he can be all of this without an ounce of bitterness. He deserves every bit of success that he has attained by maintaing a good work ethic and remaining humble as well. Much like the guy who wore that #19 that hangs from the rafters. :thumbup:

Edited by TSM

...funny, how many people on here didn't want Osgood back in Detroit? Or starting the playoffs? Now everyone loves him. Just goes to show, we as fans, really, know nothing...

I don't mean to toot my own horn but toot toot

He is starting because his last name is Hasek, of course all the Hasek fan club will disagree.

Statistically and performance wise a different goalie is better for the job. Osgood has flat out stolen a couple games this year, something that really can not be said for Hasek. EVERYONE points out that Hasek lead the league in GAA, but EVERYONE NEGLECTS to say he's been BELOW a .900 SV% for majority of the season. For someone of Hasek's stature I find that pretty unacceptable. He may have dug himself into a hole in the first months, but who's fault is that? Osgood on the other hand has been AT LEAST in the top 10 in SV% all season, who also, correct me if I am wrong, lead the league in that category for quite some time.

You have a goalie that has a really good GAA and a really good SV%, actually the best for a while, and you have another goalie who has a really good GAA and a dismal SV%. Which one do you pick? Of course people are going to point out that the one goalie has blah blah blah trophies. He does. But you can't say, ever again, they should "ride the hot goalie" because that certainly isn't him.

Hasek has been the starter for a while now, he has the luxury of being Dominik Hasek, which is the only reason why he is starting seeing as, again, another goalie has outplayed him all season. Of course, none of this matters so long as Hasek doesn't pull any s*** in the playoffs and plays as he should. He plays like he should, the team plays like they should, they have a legit shot at the cup. Easy as that.

Always loved ozzie, always will. Even though I did say he was not going to START in the playoffs (just like 90% of this board said), I wasnt nervous when he came in, I trusted he could do the job.

Edited by #19=Legend

Ozzie is my #1 guy. I love him. Just love him. And you don't know what it means to us Ozziephiles who finally get to see him getting the recognition and respect he's earned for what he's done. It's like one big "I told you so".

Ozzie is pure class off the ice and a competitor on the ice. I've always been a fan of him and it really shows that he is serious about his work ethic.

The Rome interview was good, too. Much better than the Leno crap last night. Rome actually seemed to have a grasp of what hockey is and asked some good questions. Good interview all around.

I had to capture him in that Beastie Boys shirt for my avatar.

Hopefully now when people talk about Chris Osgood, they do so under the knowledge he's one of the top goalies of all time and will probably be the best goalie in Red Wings history.

Ozzie will always be #1 to me and always has been. The Red Wings were missing something in the days when he wasn't around and now they are complete again. I am very proud of what he's accomplished.

good point, but I think that most people were nervous about Hasek and felt ok with Ozzie... that is what I got out of it... As far as I was concerned at the time go in with whoever is hot at the end of the playoffs and replace the goaly if needed depending on the situation, which is exactly what Babcock did.... Hasek struggled, Ozzie got the nod...

Weren't you the one ranting about how much Holland sucks that we didn't get Feds back and that Kenny didn't do anything in general at the tradeline? How much do you know now lool

Did anyone else notice the caption that said "Chris Osgood: 3-time Stanley Cup winner (1996, 1997 and 2008)"?

It's pretty funny. Seriously ESPN, it's not that tough to not f*** everything you do up.

Actually, the interview and questions were very well thought out. Great interview, and Oz just continues to be the model player you want on your team.

Its funny how the OP entitled this thread, "Need a reason to love Osgood?" when I just don't see how anyone can't love him given the quality player he is and type of person he continues to come off as. A wonderful athlete, teammate and person. :sly:

I'll admit it, I called him mediocre at best (I believe that was the term I used) when Detroit first signed him. I couldn't fathom what they were doing by bringing in Osgood.

Then I saw the re-tooled revamped Osgood.

I WAS WRONG VERY VERY WRONG!

However I did want him starting this playoff.

That was a great interview. I love hearing Ozzie talk about his expereince and how he deals with the games. He's always so down to earth and ready to take care of business, plus everytime I hear him talking about winning the Cup, it's never for him, it's always for one of the other players. I've always supported him and I'm glad to see more people respecting his abilities now.