• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheWestWing

The Wayne Gretzky Award - most goals by a team

Rate this topic

I dunno, I'm kinda ambivalent on this. Since there is the Jennings for fewest goals, I guess this seems fair. Guess I'm just not a big fan of awards - the only one that really matters to moi is the big one we have after 103 games!

' Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock, a nominee for the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s finest coach, feels the NHL should look into adding a new piece of hardware to its annual awards presentation.

The new trophy would be called the Wayne Gretzky Award, and here’s why.

"I know some people feel, myself included, that since we award the team allowing the fewest goals during the course of the regular season (William Jennings Award), that the team scoring the most goals should also be awarded," Babcock told NHL.com. "I feel we should look into awarding that team. After all, we are a League that's promoting offense and we already have awards for the top point and goal scorer. It would certainly make sense to award a trophy to the team scoring the most goals during the season. It could be called the Wayne Gretzky Award, and it could be given to that team scoring the most goals."

Ottawa, incidentally, led the League with 258 goals scored during the regular season — a 3.15 goals-per-game average. Detroit was awarded the Jennings Trophy after yielding a League-low 184 goals behind the play of Dominik Hasek and Chris Osgood.'

Link

I don't get why it would be named after an individual, considering it is a team thing. Yes, the jennings was, but that is given to the goaltender so it is a bit more personal.

But the idea behind it makes sense.

I don't get why it would be named after an individual, considering it is a team thing. Yes, the jennings was, but that is given to the goaltender so it is a bit more personal.

But the idea behind it makes sense.

TBH, that was the first thing that came to my mind as well. After thinking about it though, I began to question what else it might be called?

I would think the idea of calling it the WG trophy would simply be because he's the all-time leading goal scorer and that's the first thing that came to mind.

Yeah I don't think you could name it after a team, especially if you named it after a still existing team, for instance it would probably be the Edmonton Oilers Award, that is just weird.

Why not? I guess it makes since. I don't really think they need any more awards but the logic behind it makes sense.

I am with you on that point, I would tweak the awards a little, turn the Hart into Forward MVP, Norris D-man MVP, Vezina Goalie MVP.

Rookie of the year

Team GAA

Team Goals

Scoring title

Selke

Masterson

The Byng I am meh on

I am of the opinion the more awards you have the cheaper some of them become.

This is not the Oscars

Lamp lighter award PURE BRILLIANCE!!!!!

Write it down, note the date and remember it!!!!

Edited by Opie

I love how he's trying to force the league to actually commit to increasing scoring after his critique during the Finals when he said "Don't give me that, the league doesn't want more scoring, or else they wouldn't be making all these calls." Or something like that. He has a point.

There is no way that an award should be named after Gretzky BEFORE Howe gets an award, and with the way the NHL awards is set up to be named after old timers I would say its more than likely that Gordie gets it named after him (if they were to do this).

But if we all had our ways every award would be named after a Red Wing.

There is no way that an award should be named after Gretzky BEFORE Howe gets an award, and with the way the NHL awards is set up to be named after old timers I would say its more than likely that Gordie gets it named after him (if they were to do this).

But if we all had our ways every award would be named after a Red Wing.

I agree..and Gretzky award for the best playmaker would make more sense anyways.

there's already a good number of awards and I'm not sure if adding more

is the way to go. but I see Babcock's point. I only hope that the league

contracts some quality designer to create such award

Guest CaliWingsNut
I think Babs was tounge in cheek when saying it should be called the Wayne Gretzky award.

maybe I misunderstood.

No that's what I thought when I heard the WG trophy... He is one of the posterchilds of the nhl, and we just defeated crosby.