• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

YoungGuns1340

Curtis Joseph

Rate this topic

If Detroit decides to bring in Howard as the backup, its not likely that theyll keep him as their backup for the entire season, particularly down the home stretch when the team is gearing up for the playoffs and would like a veteran presence for backup in the playoffs. And while everyone is talking about having a guy on the team to win the cup for, why not Joseph? Its possible that he wouldnt want to come back to Detroit, after the way he was treated by Detroit in the first place, but they do have a great chance to repeat and this could be his last chance to get his name on the cup.

I for one never thought theyd bring back Hasek, and they did that, so I guess anything is possible. Hes not a great player anymore, but he would be added security, especially for the playoffs, and is a team player. He never complained about the way he was treated in Detroit..

And correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Detroit carry 3 goaltenders on their roster a few seasons ago?

I would welcome Joseph back in an "insurance" capacity for the right price. I doubt that he would come though. The key difference between Hasek's situation and Joseph's situation that year is that Hasek said he couldn't finish the season due to injury and quit that year. Joseph was basically forced out. We never did that to Hasek, we never sent him to the minors, and we never made him rent a cavalier to drive back to Detroit. The Red Wings are usually a very classy orgainzation and I understand why they made the choices they did that year but Joseph was treated pretty bad.

No. With howard at this point it has to be all or nothing, hes either our full time back up, or hes never going to be going far in the Wings organization. We don't need another washed up goalie tying up cap space when we have Ozzy and Howard already.

The whole point of having Howard being the backup next regular season is to get him the experience he needs to become a good goalie in this league. Giving him 15-20 starts and then axing him come playoff time would make absolutely no sense. If he doesn't play good enough in the regular season they will send him down because he is not playing good not because they want more experience in goal...we already have that with Ozzie !!

Edited by puckbags

No. With howard at this point it has to be all or nothing, hes either our full time back up, or hes never going to be going far in the Wings organization. We don't need another washed up goalie tying up cap space when we have Ozzy and Howard already.

Exactly.

CuJo should just retire. His best days are long behind him...

I'm not saying the Wings should bring in CuJo necessarily, but it wouldn't hurt to have a veteran back up. Osgood isn't exactly known as a workhorse like Brodeur or Kiprusoff, but the Wings aren't gonna want to overwork Howard as backup.

I am also tired of us trying to get the next Hasek (the veteran goalie looking for a cup), we have 2 solid young goalies in our system and if we keep this up we will never develop them into anything but AHL level goalies. And to me thats a waste.

No... No... No.

Curtis Joseph, for all his good years and his veteran status, would not be a good insurance guy to have considering he played a limited role with Calgary last year and was not all that good, he is a relic these days. I can go either way with this argument. One saying that Howard should and deserves to play 20-30 games in a back-up role so that he can improve and we can see exactly if he is our goalie of the future or not. On the other hand though, just in case an injury were to occur, it would be nice to have an insurance policy in a more veteran type goalie that doesn't cost too much. Ty Conklin comes to mind since he pretty much stood on his head for Pittsburgh toward the end of the season. I could also see Holmqvist or Kolzig (assuming he wouldn't mind taking on a limited role and possibly winning a cup in doing so).

But seriously, NO Joseph!!!

If Howard is our backup, then he should be at all times, not just go down when playoffs begin. He needs to gain that experiance.

He wouldnt go down when the playoffs begin. You can carry as many players as you want post trade deadline.

The Red Wings are usually a very classy orgainzation and I understand why they made the choices they did that year but Joseph was treated pretty bad.

I'm so tired of hearing that we treated Joseph bad. It's nonsense. He could have walked away any time he wanted. Why didn't he? M-O-N-E-Y. No one was going to pay him what we were. I am not in any way criticizing him for staying and taking the money. But it was his CHOICE. We didn't do anything but pay him millions to sit on the bench when he could have gotten up and walked away and signed with anyone he wanted any time his little heart desired. He can't have it both ways. He can't stay for the cash and still have been "treated pretty bad." He CHOSE to sit on the bench because he wouldn't walk away from the cash. He stayed for money. He wanted the bread, dough, smackers, buckaroos. In what way does a guy who wouldn't leave because he was so well compensated he would sit on the bench here instead of leaving and being a starter somewhere else make him a victim of anything?

I do agree he's not coming back, but the reason is that I don't see us giving the starting job with Ozzie having the year he did, I don't see Josphf as an upgrade from that. Joseph isn't going to sit on the bench when we have a cap and can't overpay him to do so.

Edited by NomadFromKazoo

I'm so tired of hearing that we treated Josef bad. It's nonsense. He could have walked away any time he wanted. Why didn't he? M-O-N-E-Y. No one was going to pay him what we were. I am not in any way criticizing him for staying and taking the money. But it was his CHOICE. We didn't do anything but pay him millions to sit on the bench when he could have gotten up and walked away and signed with anyone he wanted any time his little heart wanted to. He can't have it both ways. He can't stay for the cash and still have been "treated pretty bad. He CHOSE to sit on the bench because he wouldn't walk away from the cash.

I do agree he's not coming back, but the reason is that I don't see us giving the starting job with Ozzie having the year he did, I don't see Josef as an upgrade from that. Josef isn't going to sit on the bench when we have a cap and can't overpay him to do so.

You can't just walk away when you're under contract.

No Joseph. Picking him up would be bad mojo.

2002: we win the cup, hasek retires afterwards, we sign cujo to replace him, then we're swept in the first round.

2008: we win the cup, hasek retires afterwards, we (possibly) sign cujo to replace him, then.....?

Let's not tempt fate.

Howard for backup.

Please no. Ozzie and Howard are enough, how else is the kid going to get experience if we keep putting players between him and the pipes? I don't want this team turning into the Yankees, just signing older washed-up players because of marquee value.

If we get anther goalie besides howard, please make sure he has a normal f'n goalie mask, not the osgood or hasek plyaer type helmets... Howards is great

Is something wrong with Ozzie's mask? You know, of all the things people choose to kvetch about concerning our goalies......this takes the cake as the oddest.