• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

YoungGuns1340

Curtis Joseph

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut
The whole point of having Howard being the backup next regular season is to get him the experience he needs to become a good goalie in this league. Giving him 15-20 starts and then axing him come playoff time would make absolutely no sense. If he doesn't play good enough in the regular season they will send him down because he is not playing good not because they want more experience in goal...we already have that with Ozzie !!

QFT...

Plus... the thing I think alot of people missed, is that Jimmy practiced with the wings during the playoffs THIS year.

If Detroit decides to bring in Howard as the backup, its not likely that theyll keep him as their backup for the entire season

I don't even get this statement....

Guest Crymson
If Detroit decides to bring in Howard as the backup, its not likely that theyll keep him as their backup for the entire season, particularly down the home stretch when the team is gearing up for the playoffs and would like a veteran presence for backup in the playoffs. And while everyone is talking about having a guy on the team to win the cup for, why not Joseph? Its possible that he wouldnt want to come back to Detroit, after the way he was treated by Detroit in the first place, but they do have a great chance to repeat and this could be his last chance to get his name on the cup.

I for one never thought theyd bring back Hasek, and they did that, so I guess anything is possible. Hes not a great player anymore, but he would be added security, especially for the playoffs, and is a team player. He never complained about the way he was treated in Detroit..

And correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Detroit carry 3 goaltenders on their roster a few seasons ago?

The Wings last carried three goaltenders when Hasek, Joseph and Legace were all under contract. It was an abnormal situation.

And hell no, I don't want Joseph back here.

I'm so tired of hearing that we treated Joseph bad. It's nonsense. He could have walked away any time he wanted. Why didn't he? M-O-N-E-Y. No one was going to pay him what we were. I am not in any way criticizing him for staying and taking the money. But it was his CHOICE. We didn't do anything but pay him millions to sit on the bench when he could have gotten up and walked away and signed with anyone he wanted any time his little heart desired. He can't have it both ways. He can't stay for the cash and still have been "treated pretty bad." He CHOSE to sit on the bench because he wouldn't walk away from the cash. He stayed for money. He wanted the bread, dough, smackers, buckaroos. In what way does a guy who wouldn't leave because he was so well compensated he would sit on the bench here instead of leaving and being a starter somewhere else make him a victim of anything?

I do agree he's not coming back, but the reason is that I don't see us giving the starting job with Ozzie having the year he did, I don't see Josphf as an upgrade from that. Joseph isn't going to sit on the bench when we have a cap and can't overpay him to do so.

......Please tell me this post is a joke.

Joseph signed a three year deal here for the same amount of money he was offered from Philly. Then after one year, the wings brought in Hasek, and basically left Cujo to dry, sending him to the minors. Cujo could never just 'leave' and sign with another team, he was under contract. I love the wings as much as anyone on here, but the way they treated Cujo was just embarassing. Cujo is an absolute class act, and I'm sorry things never worked out for him in Detroit. I don't think he'd want to come back, and I think the wings need to let Howard get his crack at the NHL.

I'll give you 41 plus 1 reasons why Detroit will not sign Cujo and why he won't come back for his last shot at the Cup.

...he''ll have to play at least 41 games in the regular season (which he won't if Howard is play 20, whats that leave our REAL #1, 21 games to play, no...

...or he'd have to play at least 1 game in the finals or the above to get his name on the Cup, and unless there is a total FUBAR SNAFU by Osgood this coming season, Cujo wouldn't see either of those, so it would be pointless for him to sign here for one last try at the Cup, because he wouldn't be the starter...

Why wouldn't Howard stay up all season (unless he melts down/does terrible?) Oh yeah, that's right, he's supposed to stay in the AHL forever. Get real, people.

Joseph sucks. He's been washed up for years, and Howard is a superior goaltender. No chance of this happening, ever.

The Wings last carried three goaltenders when Hasek, Joseph and Legace were all under contract. It was an abnormal situation.

And hell no, I don't want Joseph back here.

Joey MacDonald was on our roster most of last season.

Joseph signed a three year deal here for the same amount of money he was offered from Philly. Then after one year, the wings brought in Hasek, and basically left Cujo to dry, sending him to the minors. Cujo could never just 'leave' and sign with another team, he was under contract. I love the wings as much as anyone on here, but the way they treated Cujo was just embarassing. Cujo is an absolute class act, and I'm sorry things never worked out for him in Detroit. I don't think he'd want to come back, and I think the wings need to let Howard get his crack at the NHL.

As poopin (good) as it would be to have my fantasy team dream (cujo/ozzie) come true, i agree hes done. Maybe a few years back if they hadnt got hasek, he'd flourished but not now....

Guest Crymson
Joey MacDonald was on our roster most of last season.

This was brought about by various injuries to Hasek and Osgood and by the fact that MacDonald was out of minor league options. MacDonald was a horrible backup. He was put on waivers when both goalies were back to health.

I think it would be a strange move for the Wings. I am certainly concerned how Howard will do as a back up to Ozzie, and am willing to see how it goes. But if he isn't what we think he is, the Wings may need to go out and get a goalie at the deadline next year. But thats definetly not a desired position for the Wings to be in. I say we talk Ryan Miller into coming home to share duties with Ozzie. I know that it is an unpopular way of doing things, but it worked this year, with giving comparable ice time to both netminders. And looked what was achieved. (imo of course)

Howard is unproven, and goalie's are 50/50 anyways. I'm kind of nervous about our goaltending situation. Everything I've read about Howard indicates he's no longer considered the second coming of Roy and more like....a rookie Osgood.

Is something wrong with Ozzie's mask? You know, of all the things people choose to kvetch about concerning our goalies......this takes the cake as the oddest.

I have no other complaints about our goalies. then again goaltending is one thing i never really worried about with detroit, except DURING games when hasek was out of his net doing something dumb; but i have always had confidence in ozzy, hasek, cujo when he was here, howard, legace, vernon

Howard is unproven, and goalie's are 50/50 anyways. I'm kind of nervous about our goaltending situation. Everything I've read about Howard indicates he's no longer considered the second coming of Roy and more like....a rookie Osgood.

Ok...so he's got a career ahead of him that will see the high 400s in wins instead of the mid 500s? What is the big deal?

I think it would be a strange move for the Wings. I am certainly concerned how Howard will do as a back up to Ozzie, and am willing to see how it goes. But if he isn't what we think he is, the Wings may need to go out and get a goalie at the deadline next year. But thats definetly not a desired position for the Wings to be in. I say we talk Ryan Miller into coming home to share duties with Ozzie. I know that it is an unpopular way of doing things, but it worked this year, with giving comparable ice time to both netminders. And looked what was achieved. (imo of course)

Why would Miller come to Detroit to share duties?!

Why do we want Curtis Blowsieve? Because he's old? To me it doesn't make sense. But that's just me, Dog.

Exaggerate a bit?

I'd rather see Howard get some P.T. with the Wings next season in about 30 games in the regular season, but if they want to keep him in the minors for one more year, Joseph would be a good insurance policy. His best days are behind him but he's a veteran and knows how to play in the league.

If Howard remains in the minors, signing a guy like Joseph for minimal cash in a backup role isn't too unrealistic of an option I think.

Come on, we cannot be playing the veteran goalie carousal again. Let Ozzie take the reigns and help develop Howard. Cujo is getting on the old side like Hasek. If we are going to sign an elite level tender, we should make a run at Ryan Miller with ozzie as the insurance.

This was brought about by various injuries to Hasek and Osgood and by the fact that MacDonald was out of minor league options. MacDonald was a horrible backup. He was put on waivers when both goalies were back to health.

Umm... that's still 3 goalies. And Hasek and Osgood were both healthy at the beggining of the year. They kept MacDonald up to back up Osgood rather than have Hasek possibly come into a game cold and get injured. He backed up Osgood on back to back nights and every other odd Osgood start. I however didn't think he was horrible, he seemed pretty good but got hung out to dry most games he played for us.

On to Joseph: In my opinion, I don't see the Wings going after any particular goalies. Howard has looked pretty good and it seems the backup job is his to lose. I'll bet we'll bring a couple of bottom barrel backups to camp to see if he needs 1 more year in GR.

Exaggerate a bit?

Yep. Heaps. :P

It's just really easy to use his name in an insulting way. But still, he's of no use to us. I doubt he'd be of use to any NHL club.

Guest Crymson
Umm... that's still 3 goalies. And Hasek and Osgood were both healthy at the beggining of the year. They kept MacDonald up to back up Osgood rather than have Hasek possibly come into a game cold and get injured. He backed up Osgood on back to back nights and every other odd Osgood start. I however didn't think he was horrible, he seemed pretty good but got hung out to dry most games he played for us.

On to Joseph: In my opinion, I don't see the Wings going after any particular goalies. Howard has looked pretty good and it seems the backup job is his to lose. I'll bet we'll bring a couple of bottom barrel backups to camp to see if he needs 1 more year in GR.

You are indeed correct about the issue with Hasek. I had forgotten about this. However, the fact remains that this was a special circumstance; it would not fit with the situation in the coming season.

I think that MacDonald was indeed very bad. I saw him play once in person and it was not pleasant. The team may have made some defensive mistakes in front of him at times, but he was completely unfit to cover for them.

Come on, we cannot be playing the veteran goalie carousal again. Let Ozzie take the reigns and help develop Howard. Cujo is getting on the old side like Hasek. If we are going to sign an elite level tender, we should make a run at Ryan Miller with ozzie as the insurance.

FINALLY A thread for me! :rolleyes:

I agree 100% with the goalie carousel thing, have been saying it for over 6 years.

There is NO reason now for us to consider signing an elite tender when we already have one. Why would we even think about two. Now I'm not sure if the people who are saying "just bring up Howard and work with him, don't keep signing old/high priced goalies", have been paying attention to the Wings roster the past decade. That is WHAT WE DO. Our system doesn't seem to revolve around working with young goalies and bringining them up, hell our roster doesn't revolve around keeping a goalie around very long at all. (Hint, we should have kept Ozzie the entire time and ridden out the good/bad times. Saying you can look into the crystal ball and just dump a cup winning goalie to pick him up again when he is ready really doesn't make sense.) Cujo would be a nice fit as a back up, I agree he doesn't really have what it takes to take a starters spot. I'm just sad we didn't have the offense ahead of him when he played well enough to win it for us.

Saying that I agree, we should keep Ozzie and work with Howard, but that just doesn't seem to be WHAT WE DO, and you can't really argue with the results can you?!?!

If the Wings sign any goaltender, backup or not, I'd rather it be someone fairly young. We don't need another grandfather clock playing goalie.

Really though, in all honesty, hasn't Howard been here long enough to finally deserve a shot? I mean, maybe it's just me, but it would be nice if the Wings actually developed a goaltender within the system again. The last goalie to be drafted by the Wings, and actually play a meaningful role on the Wings, is... Osgood. Yeah, it's been that long.

The names that are being thrown around, I.E. Kolzig, Lalime, Thibault, etc. etc., are choices that people are mentioning just for the sake of mentioning names. The only goaltender really worth anything in free agency, in my opinion anyways, would be Dan Ellis, but that's out of the question. So, since there really is nobody better, Howard is the obvious choice.