• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Penguins Offer Hossa Extension

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Link here.

The Penguins appear to be setting themselves up to be the new Tampa Bay Lightning of the cap world.

Edited by Crymson

Well i think that Hossa is the better player right now. Thats IMO.

Malkin kind of pooped the bed when it came to the finals. He didn't show up and i feel that part of was due to him just not having the heart that is needed to win an extra 16 games.

Hossa had a great finals and i think that he will or could put up Malkin type numbers playing in Pitt.

I would try and sign them both but i just don't see that as a possibility.

Malkin kind of pooped the bed when it came to the finals. He didn't show up and i feel that part of was due to him just not having the heart that is needed to win an extra 16 games.

Yeah that was it. He didn't have the heart. I bet that was the reason for Crosby and Hossa not scoring a single point in games 1 and 2 as well. Malkin scored 10 goals and 20 poins before the final started and then suddenly decided when he got there that it was enough and time to walk away...

Well i think that Hossa is the better player right now. Thats IMO.

Hossa had a great finals and i think that he will or could put up Malkin type numbers playing in Pitt.

I would try and sign them both but i just don't see that as a possibility.

I don't think it has anything to do with lack of hart. Even though he dismissed it himself, playing sick in the first couple of games must have affected his game, and when you add to that his inexperience in games like these, it isn't a mayor chock that he didn't blow the world away in the final. Just think of how many great players that has been "bad" in their first playoffs.

This would be great deal for the Pens. Hossa is easily worth 8+ million.

Not when offense isn't your problem. The Red Wings do as well as they do each year because they have solid goaltending and a great blueline. Neglecting your defense will only set yourself up for failure in the postseason. As someone already mentioned, they are starting to take the steps to being the next Tampa Bay.

Not when offense isn't your problem. The Red Wings do as well as they do each year because they have solid goaltending and a great blueline. Neglecting your defense will only set yourself up for failure in the postseason. As someone already mentioned, they are starting to take the steps to being the next Tampa Bay.

I disagree.

Crosby > Lecavalier

Hossa >> St.Louis

Malkin >> B.Richard

It is much better to spend 7 million on Hossa than Mike Green or someone like that.

There are not any elite defensemen available. Hossa is very good defensively. If Penguins can keep Crosby, Hossa, Malkin, Staal and Fleury..they will be real contender.

They could go after Jay Bouwmeester, but I heard Florida will not let him go.

Why don't they use the money for some one like Redden?

Unfortunately, Redden's turned into poop lately. I don't know if he can regain what he had.

But you're right in the premise that this highly offensive team got owned by a strong defensive one.

However, I'm sure Lemieux has something to do with this. He wants offense and he wants this star attraction (Crosby) to have the best winger available.

Staal or Malkin will be moved eventually if Hossa signs this deal.

I disagree.

Crosby > Lecavalier

Hossa >> St.Louis

Malkin >> B.Richard

It is much better to spend 7 million on Hossa than Mike Green or someone like that.

There are not any elite defensemen available. Hossa is very good defensively. If Penguins can keep Crosby, Hossa, Malkin, Staal and Fleury..they will be real contender.

Who's advocating spending $7 million on Mike Green or even someone of the like? All I'm saying is that you can't continue to put all your teams' money into forwards and expect your all-star goalie to carry you the rest of the way. The playoffs aren't built that way, and as a Red Wings fan you should know that.

The Red Wings spent $21 million on defense last year (and thats when Kronwall was in the "tiny" year of his contract) compared to Pittsburgh's $15.25. That's a huge difference as far as the blueline goes and the Finals showed that.

This isn't about Crosby, Hossa and Malkin being better than Vinny, St. Louis and Richard. You can have all the fire-power up front you want, but teams like Detroit that are balanced will generally always win a 7-game series against a team built like that.

Who's advocating spending $7 million on Mike Green or even someone of the like? All I'm saying is that you can't continue to put all your teams' money into forwards and expect your all-star goalie to carry you the rest of the way. The playoffs aren't built that way, and as a Red Wings fan you should know that.

The Red Wings spent $21 million on defense last year (and thats when Kronwall was in the "tiny" year of his contract) compared to Pittsburgh's $15.25. That's a huge difference as far as the blueline goes and the Finals showed that.

This isn't about Crosby, Hossa and Malkin being better than Vinny, St. Louis and Richard. You can have all the fire-power up front you want, but teams like Detroit that are balanced will generally always win a 7-game series against a team built like that.

I posted this in one of the other numerous Penguin threads...

During the playoffs the Penguins defense scored 28 points combined.

Rafalski and Kronner had 29 points between the two of them and the Wings had 52 points combined - enough said!

The Wings are so good because we have a great defence, solid goaltending and a ton of underpriced forwards who we can depend on to score. I mean Samuelsson gets bagged a lot but he is an absolute steal at $1.2 million. And that is why we're so successful.

But as for the Hossa offer, it's a great price if the Pens can get it done but they really could be in strife in a few years.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

I am very well aware that defense is very important, but what defensemen can they sign? Green is available so I put him in as an example.

Bouwmeester could also be potentially signed by Pens..

other than them..what players can improve Pens D? Rozsíval? Streit? I don't know.

If there was elite defensemen available, I would definitely agree with you that Pens should go after him, but at this point, Hossa is the best player they can get..and 7 million for Hossa is bargain, any team would take that deal.

Edited by Reds4Life

I am very well aware that defense is very important, but what defensemen can they sign? Green is available so I put him in as an example.

Bouwmeester could also be potentially signed by Pens..

other than them..what players can improve Pens D? Rozsíval? Streit? I don't know.

If there was elite defensemen available, I would definitely agree with you that Pens should go after him, but at this point, Hossa is the best player they can get..and 7 million for Hossa is bargain, any team would take that deal.

So because Dmen are slim this offseason, it advocates spending $7 million per on the other end? Don't get me wrong, $7 million for Hossa is a good deal, but team needs can't be overlooked. First and foremost, there are good UFA Dmen out there. While there isn't a profusion, there are solid Dmen available that will help Pittsburgh's cause. On top of that, Shero should be working the phones right now. He needs to be looking around the the league for tradeable Dmen or ones that are entering the final year of their contracts. Just because the UFA list isn't overriding with names, doesn't mean most GM's wouldn't entertain trades for guys heading into their final contract year. It happens all to often.

And keep this in mind too, people - Hossa hasn't accepted this extension. Could be too much of a discount for him, considering he could EASILY get more on the open market. We know who Hossa's agent is?

So because Dmen are slim this offseason, it advocates spending $7 million per on the other end? Don't get me wrong, $7 million for Hossa is a good deal, but team needs can't be overlooked. First and foremost, there are good UFA Dmen out there. While there isn't a profusion, there are solid Dmen available that will help Pittsburgh's cause. On top of that, Shero should be working the phones right now. He needs to be looking around the the league for tradeable Dmen or ones that are entering the final year of their contracts. Just because the UFA list isn't overriding with names, doesn't mean most GM's wouldn't entertain trades for guys heading into their final contract year. It happens all to often.

Yes. Pens D is not that bad. Superstar winger is much more valuable than good defenseman.

Pens can easily keep Hossa and get another decent defenseman like Commodore.

Yes. Pens D is not that bad. Superstar winger is much more valuable than good defenseman.

Pens can easily keep Hossa and get another decent defenseman like Commodore.

Well, this is where you and I disagree because while Pittsburgh's defense isn't that bad, its most certainly isn't very good.

Also, I don't see why people are so gun-ho on Hossa over Malkin anyway. I don't deny that Hossa is a pure goal scorer and a damn good one at that, but lets put this in perspective. Hossa is going to be 30 this season, Malkin is 22. Hossa had 29 goals this season, Malkin had 47. Hossa finished with 66 points, Malkin with 106. Hossa will likely always play on the first line with Crosby, where as Malkin can shore up your second line and balance out your attack. So instead of spending $16 million on 2/3 of a top line and being one-dimensional and thus forcing Malkin to be shipped out, you now have two of the best centers in the game creating scoring chances, and BTW Malkin can bury plenty on his own.

I guess my point is, there isn't too much of a difference in value between Hossa and Malkin, and when you look at the numbers, Malkin has much more of an upside at this point, *and most importantly* fits the team needs more so than Hossa.

Bottom line, get a solid Dman....then worry about up front.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I think term is the issue that's making Hossa think about it. He might get $8M elsewhere, but the term is definitely enticing to him. And he knows Sid is locked up for each of those years. If they can find any chemistry, which I think they managed in the playoffs, this is a home run deal for the Penguins. Imagine what they could get on defense prospects if they deal Malkin. How many Erik Johnsons would an owner trade for Malkin because he knows Malkin would put more butts in more seats? The Penguins know they have an excellent 1-2 punch in Crosby-Staal.

It could work -- that said, I do think the Penguins are focusing on signing their offensive talent though [including Malkin]. But it could work.

I'd hate to see Malone in Columbus though -- sign him, Kenny (for ~$4M; otherwise, let him sign somewhere else)!

I disagree.

Crosby > Lecavalier

Hossa >> St.Louis

Malkin >> B.Richard

I understand what you are saying but it is not just that there are not any elite defensemen availiable now it is that the 7 year contract will lock up $7.14 million for the next 7 years greatly hindering their chances at geting a great D man for years to come.

I understand what you are saying but it is not just that there are not any elite defensemen availiable now it is that the 7 year contract will lock up $7.14 million for the next 7 years greatly hindering their chances at geting a great D man for years to come.

Of course. on the other hand, they can trade Hossa/Malkin/Staal at any point during those 7 years. (if they are all signed of course).

Of course. on the other hand, they can trade Hossa/Malkin/Staal at any point during those 7 years. (if they are all signed of course).

That's *beyond* a huge "if", and when opposing GM's know your teams weakness they are very good at exploiting how much they give you in return even with a name like Malkin.

While I agree that he could get more on the open market it could handcuff this team. Malkin resigns for around 9mil is the rumor out there, granted that doesn't take effect until next year, Fleury will get a big raise and then they are looking at around 30mil tied up in 4 players and none of them being defensemen. There is not one guy on their defense that stands out right now. Yes they might be better down the road, the younger guys that is, but right now they aren't there yet.

While I agree that he could get more on the open market it could handcuff this team. Malkin resigns for around 9mil is the rumor out there, granted that doesn't take effect until next year, Fleury will get a big raise and then they are looking at around 30mil tied up in 4 players and none of them being defensemen. There is not one guy on their defense that stands out right now. Yes they might be better down the road, the younger guys that is, but right now they aren't there yet.

...And if they do "get there" they'll be too expensive for Pittsburgh to afford anyway.