• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

SI: Best GM of 2007-08?

Rate this topic

What the f***?

Yeah, the Bertuzzi and Schneider worked wonders for Anaheim. Both of them sucked for the most part and now they likely won't be able to afford Perry. Dumping Bryzgalov for literally nothing was a great move. Dumping young MacDonald for a washed up Doug Weight bodes well for the team's future too.

Give me a break.

Holland lost Lang, Bertuzzi, Calder, and Markov all in the same offseason. He didn't make a panic move. He signed Rafalski and picked Stuart up at the deadline for two picks. Oh yeah, then he won the President's Trophy and Stanley Cup.

What is the deal with all of this Burke love?

Edited by ARice89

I would guess the guy who wrote the article is a huge Ducks fan because that is the only thing that would explain his position. :thumbdown:

Either that or he's a Blues or Coyotes fan.

I sent this in:

I'm not exactly sure how you can justify saying Brian Burke is the best GM for 2007-2008 when his moves almost single-handedly dashed any hopes of the Ducks having any success in the playoffs. Bertuzzi and Schneider ended up being flops in free agency and they also spelled the end for Andy MacDonald who is more important than either of those players. Dustin Penner is a better player than Bertuzzi is, yet Burke felt the need to let him go and sign a has been for virtually the same contract? Burke may have done more damage than good for the future. The Cup was nice but they lost two important pieces of their cup run for two players who won't be around longer than 3 years. MacDonald and Penner could've been around for another decade.

The circus that was waiting around for Niedermayer to come back ended up being a major distraction and in the end costed the team a lot of valuable chemistry and focus.

The best GM of 2007-2008 is either Ken Holland or George McPhee. The Ducks season started on a bad note and ended on one, I don't understand the praise.

What's even more funny is that all signs point to Burke repeating what he did with Vancouver - inheriting a team that was on its way up, running it right into the ground and then leaving (for Toronto this time). The only difference this time was that he inherited a team that ended up winning a Stanley Cup due to a combination of skill and his special blend of goonery.

Bingo!

Mind-numbing. All of these great moves he made....well they blew up in his face. The Duckies finished 28th in the league in scoring and were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

Great moves.....I hope he keeps making more of them cause the Duckies are now on the heap of 1 year wonders along with Carolina and Tampa Bay.

$4 Mil for Betruzzi....Hahahahahahahaha

I really wonder where people come up with stuff like this. It literally boggles my mind.

allan_muir.jpg

Just look at this chump though. He looks like a California surfer boy who once heard the Ducks won the Stanley Cup and decided to try and wear big-boy pants on SI.com.

Just wanted to add...

People's obsession with Burke stems from his no-nonsense style of management. He's kind of like the George W. Bush of GMs; if he wants something, he goes for it with all of his energy, sometimes even ruthlessly. When that something that he wants happens to be something the overall organization and fans want, he's a phenomenal guy to have on-board.

The problem is, as is the case with GWB, his schemes often blow up in his face.

Burke is a good GM i dont know about the best though... i have a problem with the whole bertuzzi at 4M thing

Agreed.

People can explain away a lot of the crap moves he made this past year, but I can't see any justification for that one. He throws $4 million at a guy like Bertuzzi but can't get Penner signed until he's ultimately cherrypicked. I wonder what kind of numbers Penner would've put up with Ducks had he stayed.

Great GM's don't get blinded by their man love for certain players.

Oh, I forgot about trading McDonald for Doug Weight a minor leaguer and a late round pick.

there's no way Burke was the best GM this year.

Edited by haroldsnepsts