• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
58Miles2Joe

Help settle a bet

Rate this topic

Please help me and my friend settle a gentleman's bet.

Here's a clip of Pavel's acceptance speeches at the awards the other night...

What does he say right at the very end of his second speech?

I won't post our guesses so I don't bias your guesses.

Thanks for the help :)

Actually now that I think about, I believe they were joking earlier in the evening about getting their championship rings. Maybe he said "my ring is sure now", since he won 2 awards.

Tough to tell really. At first I thought he might be saying something about english being short again, but now I am not so sure. He easily and clearly says the words english and short at the end of the first speech, but at the end of the second speech if he said it again he totally butchers it.

alas we may never know.

I actually thought he said 'My writing is short now'.

He mentioned in the first speech that he wrote more but stopped because of his English was short...which is why him saying his 'writing' is shorter was pretty funny.

Are you referring to the bit about "My reign is short now"? I think he is referencing his physical play during the SCF. He is suggesting that voters may not see him as so gentlemanly because he hit Gary Roberts in the face. IMO he still is a gentleman because he was totally playing within the rules. That said, if Lidstrom doesn't somehow win at least ONE Lady Byng in his career I don't know what is wrong with the world. Lidstrom is the definition of Lady Byng, which I think is a very honorable award and any player winning it should be very proud. They also get money for winning it so even better!

I actually thought he said 'My writing is short now'.

He mentioned in the first speech that he wrote more but stopped because of his English was short...which is why him saying his 'writing' is shorter was pretty funny.

I think you might be right, it definitely sounds closer to writing then english.

Are you referring to the bit about "My reign is short now"? I think he is referencing his physical play during the SCF. He is suggesting that voters may not see him as so gentlemanly because he hit Gary Roberts in the face. IMO he still is a gentleman because he was totally playing within the rules. That said, if Lidstrom doesn't somehow win at least ONE Lady Byng in his career I don't know what is wrong with the world. Lidstrom is the definition of Lady Byng, which I think is a very honorable award and any player winning it should be very proud. They also get money for winning it so even better!

WOW, I am sold. I think you are right. Thats really funny too!

he says "my english is shorter now", referring to the fact that he didn't expect to be up there a second time.

First speech he says "I want to make my speech longer, but my english is short"

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking, too.

Reign? In the context of being nervous and struggling with English and being unprepared and ad-libbing it seems unlikely that's he'd be saying his reign as Lady Bing winner is now short due to his intention to be more violent, or his sweet-ass hitting during the playoffs.

he says "my english is shorter now", referring to the fact that he didn't expect to be up there a second time.

First speech he says "I want to make my speech longer, but my english is short"

This is what I think he says as well.

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking, too.

Reign? In the context of being nervous and struggling with English and being unprepared and ad-libbing it seems unlikely that's he'd be saying his reign as Lady Bing winner is now short due to his intention to be more violent, or his sweet-ass hitting during the playoffs.

Actually I think you are not giving Pavel enough credit. He continually ad libs stuff like that. I think it sounds much more like reign or writing than english. He already says the word english crystal clear in the previous speech so I don't think that's what he said this time. It also really sounds like he says ___ I S, with the stress on IS. I have a hard time believing that he said rengIS to mean english. He is Russian not Chinese.

I heard "My reign is short now" as well, but I thought it was in reference to how much time he spent on stage compared to everyone else who won. :P Pav definitely had some short speeches. Funny as hell, but short.

"I drop Roberts, make him cry, my english shorter now"

That's what I heard during the Lady Byng speech.

Edited by dallas27