• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Redwingsfan18

SC Finals Format

Rate this topic

I just kind of had a thought about how the NHL formats the Stanley Cup Finals as compared to both the World Series and NBA Finals. For those of you who may live under a rock, the SC Finals go 2-2-1-1-1 - with the top seed playing at home for games 1,2,5 and 7. In the MLB and NBA, in their Championship Series, their formats are 2-3-2, with the top seed playing games 1,2,6 and 7 at home.

My question to everyone is should the NHL change the format to be like the other two leagues? If you think about it, it has its positives and negatives but I really wanted to see what everyone's opinion on this was.

Guest DetroitBoy313

Well the 2-3-2 format give the better team an oppurtunity to win it at home.If the format went that way we probably would of won it at home.

NBA is going to switch back to the 2-2-1-1-1 format sometime soon. In most seies game 5 are usually really important and a swing game, I beleive the team with home ice advantage deserves that game.

Edited by Ladsud2002

I haven't heard anything about the format itself, but I have heard proposals that the winning conference of the All-Star Game should get the home-ice advantage in the Finals. I'm a little iffy on the idea, but on the other hand it means I might possibly actually care about the ASG if they did that.

NBA is going to switch back to the 2-2-1-1-1 format sometime soon. In most seies game 5 are usually really important and a swing game, I beleive the team with home ice advantage deserves that game.

Exactly. Game 5 is ususally the swing game and the team with the home ice advantage should have game 5 in their building.

I haven't heard anything about the format itself, but I have heard proposals that the winning conference of the All-Star Game should get the home-ice advantage in the Finals. I'm a little iffy on the idea, but on the other hand it means I might possibly actually care about the ASG if they did that.

No, absolutely not. This isn't baseball. Home ice should go to the President's trophy winner. Period.

We don't want to see players hitting during the all star game and potentially causing injuries.

I would like to see the stupid shoot out go away in the regular season and instead have 10 minutes of ot. And a loss would be zero points. A loss is a loss.

Right now it looks like teams are playing for shootouts in the OT.

Well the 2-3-2 format give the better team an oppurtunity to win it at home.If the format went that way we probably would of won it at home.

The Red Wings had their opportunity to win it at home... that's really all you can ask for.

2-3-2 sucks. If the team with the supposed advantage drops either of the first two at home, they can end up losing the series without playing another game in their own building. That's crap.

I say leave the NHL as 2-2-1-1-1, but wouldn't really care if they switched to 2-3-2. Baseball has to be 2-3-2 because they play everyday.

The NBA has a 2-3-2 set up to cut down on travel costs, it allows the players to get a little more settled on the road, and also keeps them safe, since they are traveling less.

I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both set ups.

I positively hate that idea in baseball. Their hearts are in the right place, trying to make the All-Star Game mean something. I like that. I just hate what they came up with. Home ice should go to the more deserving team.

Don't f*** with the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Period.

I could not agree more. The 2-3-2 format sucks because AT ALL TIMES in a series, the team with home-ice advantage should have played more games at home or an equal amount. In the 2-3-2 format, after game 5, the team without home-ice advantage has played more home games. This is not right.

:thumbdown:

Sounds like it could be yet another Bettman proposal. The only benefit goes to the lower seeded team if they can win just one of the first 4 games they will in turn have more home games (revenue) than the top seeded team until it stretches to a 6th game. Why not try and use another idea from the NBA like getting rid of the Original Division and Conference names in favor of names from a compass like East and West or Time Zones from a TV Guide like Central? Oh he already has done that. These ideas have generated so much more interest in the game from those that don't normally view games in the past right? Not!

As recent as this year the NBA teams have complained about the switch to the 2-3-2 format once you enter the finals. Not to mention the "travel day" isn't even used when either team is doing the traveling. :thumbdown:

Why not focus on real issues such as getting rid of the injury disclosure. We all saw what happened when a player returns to the lineup after a type of head injury, the opposing team goes straight to the injury in order to take him out.

Or how about going back to where every team visits EVERY arena at least once EVERY regular season. I know that plans are back in the works and are slowly getting back to it but c'mon! Don't use the excuse that they are trying to create rivalries as being the reason for playing Columbus, Nashville, St Louis and Chicago upteen times. The only rivalry created there is the ticket holders trying to get rid of lame tickets that nobody wants. Rivalries create themselves, did Detroit play Colorado 16 times in the regular season to start that rivalry, NO.

Oops I got off the original subject and rambled on lol! :wacko: But basically we can't keep trying to make the NHL like the NBA through expansion, changing playoff formats, changing names of divisions etc. That's two different games and two different dema-graphics. The game doesn't need to be fixed, only small tweeks.

:thumbdown:

Sounds like it could be yet another Bettman proposal.

Don't worry, I don't think Bettman has proposed this or any one has. It was just something that came to mind while watching the NBA finals this year. To be honest, I'm totally neutral to the idea because in one way, you have game 6 and 7 at home, but if you lose one of the first two, your kind of screwed (like the Tigers in 06').

I don't have any problems with the 2-3-2 format in general. But there's no need to switch. It's the answer to the question that nobody asked.

Why not try and use another idea from the NBA like getting rid of the Original Division and Conference names in favor of names from a compass like East and West or Time Zones from a TV Guide like Central? Oh he already has done that.

Want to go back to to the original names? Get ready for something exciting then: how about switching to "Eastern" and "Western"? Or we could go wayyyyy back for something even more original? "American" and "Canadian" sound good?

Wales and Campbell Conference, and the associated divisional names, aren't the originals or the most traditional, you see - just the coolest. They weren't even around for 20 years.

2-3-2 sucks. I hate it. IMO, at NO point in time should the team with a worse record play more home games than the team with the better record. It strips the higher seed of gate revenue and rewards the other team.

-Also, as many have said, Game 5 is often a CRITICAL swing game--the numbers on the winner of game 5 winning the series when it is tied at 2 are very high--around 80 percent. The team with the better record should have an advantage in that game.

-This place would be going ballistic if we had to play Game 5 in Nashville after losing there in Games 3 and 4. I guarantee that Nashville would have come out with a ton more energy than they did in our building if we did...(No, Im not saying we would have lost). Thats bullsh*t.

-It sucks that the first team losing 1 at home can prevent them from playing at home again, but it can even screw you if you don't. I live in Dallas, and the 2006 NBA finals come to mind. Dallas dominated Games 1 and 2 at home, only to lose Game 3 by a nose and Game 4 badly. Everyone in Dallas wanted that fifth game back home. It would have helped to had that game at home to energize a depleted team into stopping the bleeding. Instead they had to play in Miami AGAIN. They lost a narrow, heart breaking game. By the time they got back to the AAC for Game 6, their spirit was broken.

I understand the travel costs, but seeing as how the Wings are likely to have home ice advantage most of the time going forward, 2-3-2 SUCKS or us.

Edited by WingFanInStarLand

Nothing needs to be changed about formatting or sudden death overtime or anything else about the playoffs. Nothing whatsoever. The higher seed has game 7 at home if it ever comes to that, that's the only important/vital thing to me in terms of games played at home/road in terms of seeding.