• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

Wings jacked up Cup

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...F?urn=nhl,88387

My favorite part of this blog is when they claim they rushed "Stan" to the Joe to perform "surgery" on the cup, that they had to use a hammer on Stan. I dont doubt this blog at all that its probably true.

Here's what happened: Chris Chelios was atop the bar, Coyote Ugly style, Cup in hand, with the packed crowd cheering madly. At some point there was an attempted handoff to Brett Lebda. Whether it was the chaos of the crowd, or the...umm...content of the blood, balance was lost. Down went Lebda. Down went Stanley.

And no, the dent wasn't "slight."

In fact, it needed emergency service. Mike Bolt, the Keeper of the Cup, was taken to Joe Louis Arena, where Stan, like a forward who took a puck in the eye, was placed gently on the trainer's table in the Red Wings dressing room, and operated on.

Bolt had to use a hammer to carefully pop the dent out, a procedure that resembled neurosurgery in its intricacy. One of the bands that contain all the names popped off at one point. But like Bobby Baun, the Cup was right back out there for the rest of its appearances. Heroic.

Wow, has it ever been messed up that bad before? I've never heard of it falling apart. Way to go guys!

I believe the dent that is on the bottumwas from Mario,. and it was lost at the bottum of a lake and divers were called in to retrieve , as old as this trophy is I bet it has seen and done some wild crap imagine the stories it would tell at least it was't Lilija :rolleyes:

Errr, sorry if this has been asked before, but that is the replica cup, not the one presented at the end of the finals right?

No, it's the real cup. The HHOF has the replica in the offseason. The real Cup is presented to the team and is the one sent around with the team members. So yes, they destroyed the real Cup. This is why I love that trophy.

I believe the dent that is on the bottumwas from Mario,. and it was lost at the bottum of a lake and divers were called in to retrieve , as old as this trophy is I bet it has seen and done some wild crap imagine the stories it would tell at least it was't Lilija :rolleyes:

I hope that douchebag Pronger's name was on the band that fell off. It's a disgrace to the cup to have it on ther to begin with.

The damage may not have been so bad after all.

Another eyewitness has a different take on what happened - George James Malik, the writer of Red Wings Snapshots on Mlive -

Been there, seen it. There was no dent. The Cup was accidentally dropped on the bar, and landed on the bowl, which went from a circular shape, like an "O," to a bowl where one side looked crescent or football-shaped. It took some hammering out to restore the bowl, but that's all that was damaged.

Duthie talks about 'the dent'

Wow, has it ever been messed up that bad before? I've never heard of it falling apart. Way to go guys!

After we won it in '99, Craig Ludwig, with some help from Pantera, threw it off of a balcony and one-hopped it into a pool. It received a couple of dents. Nothing serious.

Edited by DallasStars

After we won it in '99, Craig Ludwig, with some help from Pantera, threw it off of a balcony and one-hopped it into a pool. It received a couple of dents. Nothing serious.

:lol: I've done that with a keg...I couldn't imagine doing that with the Stanley effin Cup.