• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

Jeff Carter Gets 5 million Big Ones..

Rate this topic

Dont know about that one...

It makes all the people that laughed and pointed at Lowe for paying Penner 4M over 6 years look like idiots. Penner isnt as good as Carter, but this pretty ensures Carter will be asking for over 5M in 3 years.

It makes all the people that laughed and pointed at Lowe for paying Penner 4M over 6 years look like idiots. Penner isnt as good as Carter, but this pretty ensures Carter will be asking for over 5M in 3 years.

I hate how much players are getting overpaid. Carter at best, is a 3 million dollar player. Penner is more of a 2.5 million dollar guy. Just wondering but do the Flyers even have that much cap space?

I hate how much players are getting overpaid. Carter at best, is a 3 million dollar player. Penner is more of a 2.5 million dollar guy. Just wondering but do the Flyers even have that much cap space?

Barely - they are at 49.5 million not including Carter and they still have to sign Umberger and several other RFA's...

Edited by Glubki

Welcome to the "new NHL". Contracts like this just further prove how extremely useless the lockout was, since the whole point of the lockout was destroy contracts like this, yet it's not happening.

If you guys think Kevin Lowe is laughing, just think about former HOF players who made about half this much money in the prime of their careers. Guys like Carter and Penner are taking their respective teams to the cleaners, showing that it's all about money anymore.

Welcome to the "new NHL". Contracts like this just further prove how extremely useless the lockout was, since the whole point of the lockout was destroy contracts like this, yet it's not happening.

If you guys think Kevin Lowe is laughing, just think about former HOF players who made about half this much money in the prime of their careers. Guys like Carter and Penner are taking their respective teams to the cleaners, showing that it's all about money anymore.

The bottom line is that there is a cap in place. If a certain few teams want to f*** themselves with dumb contracts, so be it. The cap will limit dumb overspending.

Yeah. Those guys are either punching walls or bawling their eyes out.

I remember just a few years ago when I thought Datsyuk for 3.9M was a complete rip-off. God was I wrong.

The bottom line is that there is a cap in place. If a certain few teams want to f*** themselves with dumb contracts, so be it. The cap will limit dumb overspending.

Not to mention, the cap isnt going to rise forever. I read a report I think a year ago from a pretty reliable capologist that said NHL revenue doesnt project to ever hold a cap higher than around 62M which I think is estimated to be around 2011, but dont quote me on that.

All I can say is the economy is looking towards a downfall, and Im in agreeance that this cap isnt going to rise forever. And whoever has a 36 year old Hossa tied up for 7M when hes trying to re-sign a UFA Crosby is going to be hurting...

Jeff Carter is a 30 goal per season player and will be in his next 15 years of play, from here on in barring injuries. 5M is a bit much at this point, but it won't be by next season, I guarantee it. Carter only had 53 points, but let's not forget how he was one of the league's hottest players in the latter part of the season.

Jeff Carter is a 30 goal per season player and will be in his next 15 years of play, from here on in barring injuries. 5M is a bit much at this point, but it won't be by next season, I guarantee it. Carter only had 53 points, but let's not forget how he was one of the league's hottest players in the latter part of the season.

If thats the case how much do you think Franzen could hold us for?

Carter is not worth 5 million now, that's for sure. Not a good move by Flyers in my opinion.

I love this deal.

It'll keep teams like Philly from having a well-rounded club. Easier pickings for Detroit to feast on weak East Conference finalist.

BTW, if Carter's getting $5M then I wonder what Lupul will ask for. At the bare minimum $4M/year.

so does this mean everyteam besides detroit has a overpaid player on it? to me this kid is comparable to Val .. and i dont think Val will be getting them bucks .. maybe 2.8 but not ******* 5 million dollars .. potential buyout next season?

These Eastern teams are crazy... they keep piling on and piling on offensive talent.

The spending on offense vs. defense as compared to the West has to be an incredible difference.

Jeff Carter is projected to be a top 2-line center with excellent defensive skills for years to come in Philly. They really like him, and he has tremendous upside. They signed Richards to a huge deal early in the season, and he didn't slow down and continued his PPG pace - He's the face of their franchise and their young Steve Yzerman.

The Briere deal they made was a lot worse, in my book.

Edited by Probert 5 For Fighting

These Eastern teams are crazy... they keep piling on and piling on offensive talent.

The spending on offense vs. defense as compared to the West has to be an incredible difference.

For the last time.

You have zero evidence to support that inane theory. Pointing out Jeff Carter re-signing and Pittsburgh looking to retain Hossa is a horrible sample size that'll get you an F in any statistics class you take trying to reject the null hypothesis.

Dumb move... I highly doubt he would get any more from an RFA offer sheet... and then they would have the option of matching, or taking the picks. Win-win.

QFT

It's an absolute overpayment at this point of his career, and they would have been better off just waiting until the offer sheets came in. Honestly, I don't think any GM (although some make ridiculously stupid moves in this cap era) would offer anywhere near $5 million. If they do, you've picks to compensate, and if they don't, you get him "for a bargain" so to speak.

For the last time.

You have zero evidence to support that inane theory. Pointing out Jeff Carter re-signing and Pittsburgh looking to retain Hossa is a horrible sample size that'll get you an F in any statistics class you take trying to reject the null hypothesis.

Ha, oh no my credibility is being threatened on a message board :)

Philly and Pitts proved to be the cream of the crop from the East, so of course I am going to be looking at what they do in the off season... so will the rest of the teams in the East.

Look at Philly:

Current Roster

Gagne(5.25) - Briere(6.5) - Hartnell(4.2)

Lupul(2.312) - Richards(5.75) - Downie(.822)

Upshall(1.225) - Carter(RFA) - Giroux(.850)

Cote(UFA VI)/Thoresen(RFA) - Umberger(RFA) - Knuble(2.8)

Timonen(6.333) - Coburn(1.3)

Hatcher(3.5)/Jones(RFA) - Parent(.855)

Jones(RFA)/Gauthier(2.1) - Kukkonen(.875)

Biron(3.5)

Niitty(1.225)

Comitted 47.297

Salary Cap 56.3

Cap Room 9.003

FAs (entirely speculative predicted cap number)

Carter(5.25)

Umberger(3)

Jones(2)

Cote(.6)

Thoresen(.6)

Final estimated Cap Space -2 million

Clearly that potential negative 2 million cap room is a problem. A team like the Wings has more money going to their top 3 defensemen than Philly does to their entire top 6.

Edited by egroen

A team like the Wings has more money going to their top 3 defensemen than Philly does to their entire top 6.

Gee, you don't think that's because Lidstrom is taking a huge paycut to stay here, and we were fortunate that Rafalski wanted to come home and play here? Every team wanted to sign him last offseason - and that includes a helluvalot of East teams. We can manage to have a top 3 like Lids, Rafalski and Kronwall because Lids is taking about 2 million less than he's worth.

I don't have any problem with you saying Detroit has the best front office in the league and they manage their cap efficiently, but suggesting there is some sort of difference between the East and West in philosophy is completely ridiculous and unprovable.

Pittsburgh also has $15 million slotted for their 6 defensemen... *and* they are talking about buying out Sydor's $2.5 million to free up more cap space.

Your response is that Lidstrom has given us a discount? Ok, not sure what that does for you because it would mean Detroit's top 2 defenseman make more money than Philly's and Pittsburgh's entire 3 lines of defensemen.

You don't think this could by any chance indicate a skew in East vs. West mentality?

Pittsburgh also has $15 million slotted for their 6 defensemen... *and* they are talking about buying out Sydor's $2.5 million to free up more cap space.

Your response is that Lidstrom has given us a discount? Ok, not sure what that does for you because it would mean Detroit's top 2 defenseman make more money than Philly's and Pittsburgh's entire 3 lines of defensemen.

You don't think this could by any chance indicate a skew in East vs. West mentality?

I mentioned Lidstrom's discount because it allows you to lock up guys like Kronwall longterm, giving you the Big 3 for years to come.

Nothing you have said indicates a skew in East vs. West mentality. All you've shown is that Pitt and Philly want to lock up some of their young stars, and you keep comparing them to the Redwings. If you don't think that's poor sample size, I don't know what to tell you. That's a bad way to go about trying to prove something. Outside of Detroit and Anaheim, no team has had the chance to spend that kind of money on star defensemen. And them being in the Western Conference has zero to do with it.