• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Systemfel

2008 NHL Entry Draft GDT

Rate this topic

Hmm this doesn't make much sense to me.......Maybe this means Howard could potentially be trade bait to set up for Miller in 09.....but I mean...that's me dreaming haha. Anyone have any idea why we selected him?

No idea, the wings have 3 goalies, now four, we could have used the forward. This is not the vote of confidence that I wanted to see for howard.

Hmm this doesn't make much sense to me.......Maybe this means Howard could potentially be trade bait to set up for Miller in 09.....but I mean...that's me dreaming haha. Anyone have any idea why we selected him?

I would have like Deschamps there and I'm not in the love with the idea of a goalie in the first, but in Kenny I trust.

Questioning the Wings draft is like trying to understand global warming. The details may be a little sketchy, but at the end of the day, who can argue with the fact that ITS EFFIN HOT!

Who's the next big thing *goalie* after howard ... the swedish netminder? I haven't heard so much about him ... but all i know is after those two we have no1 so what would happen if ... let's say one of those two don't pan out ... or both of em don't pan out ... we would have no backup plan ... anyways why draft fwd/def when we could get stars in the 2nd 3rd etc...

This kid's great, I still haven't heard any bad comments about him

HL Central Scouting's Al Jensen

"Number one attribute is his net position, it's second to none, there are rarely any holes and he has a great butterfly. When he is challenging and at the top of his game he is very tough to beat. He has good net coverage and he is very competitive; capable of making the big saves for his team. He handles the puck well and his play has gotten better over the course of the year by leaps and bounds. He is definitely one of those franchise type of goalies in the future. You can see that his team is very confident in front of him and he can see through screens very well. In saying all of this, I rarely see him out of position."

Guelph Storm head coach and GM Dave Barr

"Tom is very tough mentally and very focused on being the best goalie he can be every minute he is on the ice."

Who's the next big thing *goalie* after howard ... the swedish netminder? I haven't heard so much about him ... but all i know is after those two we have no1 so what would happen if ... let's say one of those two don't pan out ... or both of em don't pan out ... we would have no backup plan ... anyways why draft fwd/def when we could get stars in the 2nd 3rd etc...

This kid's great, I still haven't heard any bad comments about him

HL Central Scouting's Al Jensen

"Number one attribute is his net position, it's second to none, there are rarely any holes and he has a great butterfly. When he is challenging and at the top of his game he is very tough to beat. He has good net coverage and he is very competitive; capable of making the big saves for his team. He handles the puck well and his play has gotten better over the course of the year by leaps and bounds. He is definitely one of those franchise type of goalies in the future. You can see that his team is very confident in front of him and he can see through screens very well. In saying all of this, I rarely see him out of position."

Guelph Storm head coach and GM Dave Barr

"Tom is very tough mentally and very focused on being the best goalie he can be every minute he is on the ice."

The thing is we dont need a great goalie with the defense we have, we need one who can make the run of the mill saves because i dont see the wings in the next 5 years giving up more than 20 or so shots per game. That is why i am so pissed about this pick, we could really use more forwards in the minors who have potential when Holmstrom, Samuelsson, Draper, etc are done (because lets not kid ourselves the hold over wings from 97 on arent getting any younger (and Sammy isnt one of them i know, but you know what i mean) and we need people to come up and fill their roles. We have a very deep defense in GR and Howard and the swedish kid plus ozzie means that we shouldnt have to worry about goaltending for awhile, as i said, this is a major vote of non confidence to Howard.

Exactly my thoughts. We've got some decent F and D prospects in Grand Rapids already, but the cupboard is pretty empty for goalies. Whether we grabbed the right netminder or not is a crapshoot (this guy seems fine to me but it's not like I know diddly), but seems to me it was the correct position to target.

Tought to find fault in drafting a well-rated goalie... just not as sexy as some of might have wished for :)

Most likely a smart move. I hate playing the free agent goalie game, and it will be nice to have options within the pipeline.

The thing is we dont need a great goalie with the defense we have, we need one who can make the run of the mill saves because i dont see the wings in the next 5 years giving up more than 20 or so shots per game. That is why i am so pissed about this pick, we could really use more forwards in the minors who have potential when Holmstrom, Samuelsson, Draper, etc are done (because lets not kid ourselves the hold over wings from 97 on arent getting any younger (and Sammy isnt one of them i know, but you know what i mean) and we need people to come up and fill their roles. We have a very deep defense in GR and Howard and the swedish kid plus ozzie means that we shouldnt have to worry about goaltending for awhile, as i said, this is a major vote of non confidence to Howard.

Starter : Ozzie

Probable Backup : Howard

GR : Swedish kid ...

After? ... um ...

So assuming either howard / swedish kid suck ... we would of been done for ... nothing in back of them ... that provides us with depth

And as you referred we don't need a crazy goalie ... but im afraid we do considering ... we had cujo legace hasek all of them were pretty much above average goaltenders wich weren't able to get a cup in the past 6 years ... until osgood stepped up ... and yes osgood is a star goalie right now the way he was playing was amazing ... yes he did have an amazing defense ... but didn't the other goalies also have amazing defense facing as many as shots as osgood did in each playoff games...

My point is ... that you need a star / amazing goalie to win cup

cujo hasek and legace all face 20 shots a night in their playoffs in the past and all of them couldn't handle it with the AMAZING defense you speak of ... let's face it ... no goalie no defense ... YOUR BEST DEFENSMEN IS THE GOALIE

many of you might say oh osgoods not a star ... but ppl its time to realise that he actually was a star this year ...

To be honest with all of you ... i was kind of hoping we draft goalie I'm not sold on howard or that swedish kid until i see them at a nhl level ... and if they do become good goalies even better :D tradddddddddeeeeee

I know we like to jump all over Kenny, but think about it:

We always find gems late int he draft, right?

Clearly we have our eyes on some players deep in the draft who we expect to be left alone by the other teams.

So we pass on the typical big name forwards and clearly this guy was the best player of any position available. Maybe there were no good goalies deep, but there aer some good forwards. It makes perfect sense to pick a goalie first, since he's the best left available, knowing we have options later in the draft for other positions.

Makes sense to me.

Just ask yourself this, what is easier to find, a late-round steal goalie, or a late-round steal forward? We probably are confident we can find good forwards in the later rounds but knew that the goaltender depth we needed was only to be had in the 1st round. In Kenny I trust.

Just ask yourself this, what is easier to find, a late-round steal goalie, or a late-round steal forward? We probably are confident we can find good forwards in the later rounds but knew that the goaltender depth we needed was only to be had in the 1st round. In Kenny I trust.

lol I don't think were confident anymore, I think we're sure about it btw good post :clap: