• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Systemfel

2008 NHL Entry Draft GDT

Rate this topic

I like this pick. After Howard and Larrson we had no other goalies in our system. So, assuming it works out perfectly and Howard turns into an all-star, and Larrson is the best back-up in the league, then we could trade him for some additional depth at another position down the line. But, what are the odds that everything works out like that? Probably not too good.

More than likely, one of Howard or Larrson will not pan out at the NHL level, and then if McCollum does, then he could be the guy that pushes Howard or Larrson, learns under them as a back-up, and then we will have a decision to make on him.

But, this is a long, long way away. Enjoy the draft, and all of the moves the other teams are making to try to get what we have.

We picked a goalie? I must admit, I hate it when that happens....

Disappointing.

Wings should never draft a goalie again. Probably should have traded away the three we already had too.

Goalies are useless. They almost never score...

Your disappointing

:ph34r: They know what they're doing and I have huge faith in them it's just that I really don't like taking goalies, especially this early. Much prefer keeping track of the progress of skaters.

Wings should never draft a goalie again. Probably should have traded away the three we already had too.

Goalies are useless. They almost never score...

And don't you think this goalie is a bit old? Born in 1989 when most are 1990... :P

Starter : Ozzie

Probable Backup : Howard

GR : Swedish kid ...

After? ... um ...

So assuming either howard / swedish kid suck ... we would of been done for ... nothing in back of them ... that provides us with depth

You're forgetting out best goalie prospect. You know the one playing in Buffallo, I think he's named Miller or something.

For those complaining about the first. Please remember that the current track record for drafted Detroit goalies is around 6 years after draft to sniff the show. In other words they are looking ahead to ~2014 roster not 2008-2009.

I really like this pick. While I was mostly hoping to draft a scorer this time around (read: Nicholas Deschamps), McCollum was the #1 ranked North American goalie by CS, and is looking like he could be a solid goalie in the future. Plus, it never hurts to have a good insurance policy for the future, in case Howard and/or Larsson don't work out.

Great selection by the Wings. On a somewhat related note, I loved the standing ovation Yzerman got by the crowd in Ottawa. I thought that was pretty cool.

Half you guys on here are nuts. How on earth do you think you can know whats the better choice for the Wings that the Wings brass themselves do. Do YOU guys scout the players? Do YOU guys have the best NHL scouting record of the past 15 years?

Jesus if this isnt a flashback to the Johan Franzen selection, I dont know what is. Youd think people would get it by now that the Wings know more than we do..

Good pick. You can never have enough solid goaltending prospects. There's only one spot in net and when you have solid prospects, they work even harder to compete and win the position. Good pick, not great, but good.

When I read this article yesterday, I knew the Wings were gonna draft a goalie. It also talks about how they will start drafting more N.American players in later rounds, so they can develop them in college for up to 4 years.

Red Wings hoping to draft good fit for system

by Ansar Khan

Thursday June 19, 2008, 7:58 PM

DETROIT -- Their Stanley Cup championship reaffirmed that the Detroit Red Wings don't need to alter the puck-possession style of hockey they've played for more than a dozen years.

They will continue looking for players who are a good fit for that system in this weekend's NHL entry draft, forwards who skate well and defensemen who can move the puck quickly. They also need to draft a goaltender for the future.

The Red Wings have the 30th and last pick in the first round tonight at Scotiabank Place in Ottawa. The remaining six rounds are Saturday morning/afternoon. Detroit does not have a second-round pick, which it dealt to the Los Angeles Kings to acquire defenseman Brad Stuart, but has each of its selections in the third through seventh rounds.

Feeling they have good depth in the organization at forward and defense, assistant general manager Jim Nill said the club isn't targeting a specific position with its first pick.

"We're sticking to our philosophy," Nill said. "It would be nice to add some size, but it's a fine line. You're going to get to a point where there's too good of a player there with skill, and to add that player with size might not be worth the risk."

The Red Wings, in each of the last two drafts, have used their top pick on a North American player, forward Cory Emmerton in 2006 and defenseman Brendan Smith last year. They had taken a European with their first selection in 11 of the previous 13 drafts.

They will still select skilled players, regardless if they are European or North American, with their first few picks. But the post-lockout rule change in 2005 requiring teams to sign European picks within two years, just like major junior players, has prompted the Red Wings to alter their late-round strategy. Now they're more apt to select a U.S. college player, whom they can wait four or five years to make a decision on, as opposed to a European.

"The college kids have become the late-round choice now, where it used to be Euros," Nill said. "Used to be in that sixth, seventh, eighth round, you'd pick a Russian kid or a Swedish kid and you'd roll the dice because you knew you had forever (to sign him). If you're deciding between a kid in juniors, Europe or college, and they're equal, you're probably going to go the college route because you have more time."

The Red Wings have a good stable of young defensemen in their system -- Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl, Derek Meech, Kyle Quincey, Logan Pyett and Smith. And they have several promising forwards, including Darren Helm, Ville Leino, Justin Abdelkader, Mattias Ritola, Evan McGrath, Jan Mursak, Dick Alexsson and Emmerton. But they are thin in net, where they have only two prospects -- Jimmy Howard might serve as Chris Osgood's backup next season, and Daniel Larsson will arrive from Sweden to play in Grand Rapids (AHL).

"We'd like to add a goalie to our prospect list," Nill said.

Nill said it is unlikely they will trade up in the first round because it would require relinquishing an asset they don't want to move. But, there is always a possibility of moving down, if they are able to secure another pick, like they did in 2006.

"If you can trade down to get two picks you might do that," he said.

No idea, the wings have 3 goalies, now four, we could have used the forward. This is not the vote of confidence that I wanted to see for howard.

What?? What on earth does this have to do with Howard?? You act like the kid is ready to step in. Howard is five years older than McCollum. He was drafted five years earlier. Its taken Howard five years to develop. If it takes McCollum that much time to develop, Howard will be 28 when McCollum is only making his debut. Howard could potentially be in his prime when McCollum is still pulling backup duty.

What?? What on earth does this have to do with Howard?? You act like the kid is ready to step in. Howard is five years older than McCollum. He was drafted five years earlier. Its taken Howard five years to develop. If it takes McCollum that much time to develop, Howard will be 28 when McCollum is only making his debut. Howard could potentially be in his prime when McCollum is still pulling backup duty.

When Holland speaks about Howard he doesn't sound thrilled about his progress. Miller Time in 09'!

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=36659...mp;service=page

Goalie wars -- Thomas McCollum of the Guelph Storm was the No. 1-ranked North American goaltender by NHL Central Scouting Services and Chet Pickard of the Tri-City Americans was rated No. 2. However, they went in reverse order in the opening round of the Draft as Pickard was taken with the No. 18 pick by the Nashville Predators and McCollum went No. 30 to the Detroit Red Wings.

McCollum looked like he thought it went perfectly as he tried on his Red Wings' sweater. He said he had a good conversation with the team at the recent Combine in Toronto.

"I thought the meeting went really well and that I had the right answers to their questions," said McCollum, who ranked No. 4 among Ontario Hockey League goalies with a 2.50 goals-against average. McCollum went 25-17-3-3 with a .914 save percentage. He set the Storm record with five shutouts this season.

"My coach at Guelph, Dave Barr, played for the Red Wings and I was hoping he was talking me up to them during the season. I'm a butterfly goalie and I use my size to fill the net. I've been told I'm a good skater and that I have good lateral movement."

McCollum grew up in the Buffalo area and was a big fan of Dominik Hasek when he played for the Sabres.

"I spent a lot of time in the house, trying to emulate the things that Hasek did," McCollum said. "So it's pretty interesting that I could get a chance to play in his old stomping grounds."

McCollum said he knows it will take a lot of work to make it to the NHL, and that's what he's planning to do.

"I just need to work, talk to my coaches, especially the goalie coach, and push myself to be the best I can be. I know it's going to take hard work. This is the best league there is."

it's a good move..

they always said we would draft a goalie, so why not get the best one?

most NHL teams have a number of goalie prospects in their system. we had ONE!

Jimmy is going to open a lot of eyes this fall. Howard has been our best goaltender the last two training camps. He's just been stuck behind a pair of Cup winners.

He'll hit three numbers playing behind our system next season.

20 wins.

2.25 GAA

.910 SV%

Book it.

I'm not reading through all 8 pages so I'll say what I have to say, even if it may already have been said. I was kind of praying that we would move up to around the top 5 and grab Luke Schenn. I have a really good feeling about this kid. He, Kindl, Kronwall, Lebda, Quincey and the others would make a great defensive core. I don't know much about the guy we got. Anyone with info care to give us a profile on the guy (unless it has already been done)?

Excellent choice, we need another future goaltending prospect and Mgmt looks for a player who has the right mindset and knows what's it going to take to succeed at an NHL level.

This guy was pumped to be picked by the Wings, sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, (unlike some, aka Waived Emery), and these are things that are crucial to Wings organization. They took past swedish prospects shopping and said you need to eat this and this, are you ready for that?

And lastly, aside from giving up Matthias for dumb azz Bertuzzi, our guys haven't made any other mistakes.

:)

Probably ... in his prime if he pans out of course ... then we'd have mcCollum as a backup / trade bait ... works out great doesn't it?

I just don't understand it why people are so freaked out about this pick ... drafts not over, we always pick good players in the later rounds, and our core is here for a good 6-7 years until they grow and were pretty much stacked up in depth ... why so much worry it's not like drafts over