• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hallelujahlogic

barry melrose new coach of tampa bay

Rate this topic

I don't whether to feel happy for him or sorry for him. On the one hand, obviously it's a great position to be in, especially when the alternative is working for ESPN. On the other hand, the Lightning's new management has gone on record as saying this is basically a marketing move, which has to sting a little....

I don't whether to feel happy for him or sorry for him. On the one hand, obviously it's a great position to be in, especially when the alternative is working for ESPN. On the other hand, the Lightning's new management has gone on record as saying this is basically a marketing move, which has to sting a little....

It's an interesting move to say the least. I was under the impression that TB was one of the stronger Sun Belt franchises and didn't need to hire a guy with all of three years of NHL experience 15 years ago for marketing purposes. Maybe Kelly Hrudey will come out of retirement to help with their goaltending issues.

Melrose doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to hockey - so why would you ever want him to coach your team? Stupid move but whatever - we just got to get Eddy Olzyk out of the booth and on his bench, along with Don Cherry and there's 3 Red Wing haters off our TV's and somewhere we just don't give a s*** about :thumbup:

Barry Melrose couldn't coach a colony of ants to a melted Hershey bar. My heart aches for Tampa Bay fans everywhere.

Melrose doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to hockey - so why would you ever want him to coach your team? Stupid move but whatever - we just got to get Eddy Olzyk out of the booth and on his bench, along with Don Cherry and there's 3 Red Wing haters off our TV's and somewhere we just don't give a s*** about :thumbup:

Agreed, but I remember something he said a few years ago that cracked me up.

The Blackhawks got off to a fast start one season, but a couple of their wins came against the CBJ. When CHI started to slump and it looked like the start was too good to be true, he commented on it saying, "They gotta go back and play them Blue Jackets"

When I had NHL Center Ice and had the FSN Detroit or UPN 50 broadcasts of the game, it was such a joy. Damn you, VS!

I have no problem with B-Mel (street name) as a head coach but in a limited sort of niche. He'd be a great motivator-type coach which would appeal best to a rock-bottom team (NYI, TML) or a solid top-tier team needing that emotional boost (SJS [god knows they're better off with Mclellan than B-Mel, Anaheim, NJD) of a spirit guy more than a strategic/tactical coach. TB has solid talent, good spirit (look at guys like skill-based Lecavelier getting into fights) and scoring ability. They could have gained so much cost-wise in investing in a serious golatending talent. Torts was a hella' spirit guy, they could have done much better actually going the opposite way, a kind of coach that could keep them toned down and teach more responsibility (Hitchcock comes to mind if he wasn't already in the CBJ system). That said, it does get him off ESPN, which is both better for the league, so we don't have to listen to his rambling, and him, so he doesn't have to make stuff up to sound smart.

He is capable, though by comparison to a player, this is not his role to play.

Guest Lebda4Pres

Have all of you forgotten he coached the L.A. Kings back in the 90's, so it's not like he's never done this before.

Have all of you forgotten he coached the L.A. Kings back in the 90's, so it's not like he's never done this before.

We know. He had one good season and then couldnt coach a team with Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, and Luc Robitaille all in their prime out of a paper bag. I mean 93-94 was just brutal.

along with Don Cherry and there's 3 Red Wing haters off our TV's

to his credit, cherry did pick the wings to win it all BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED. and he's picking them to be the first team to repeat since, well, we did in 97/98. he doesn't like their style (b/c we dont fight i guess) but he at least respects that in the "new NHL" this is the best team in the league year in and year out so he's ok in my book. You have to admit they're the best, but you don't have to like it.

as for melrose, i kinda got a soft spot for him. don't know why. maybe cus he was always the hockey analyst i saw growing up thats still around? eh. whatever. shouldn't take much to get tampa bay moved a couple notches in the standings cus theres no place else to go but up for them...

If we didn't give a damn about these guys, why are you talking about them? :P

And Barry Melrose was all about the Red Wings praise for most of this playoffs, especially starting in the Conference Finals. He has picked against the Red Wings in the past but picking the Red Wings to win/praising them doesn't really seem like "hating".

Don Cherry picked the Red Wings to win it all from the start of the playoffs. That doesn't seem like "hating" either.

Not everybody who isn't a hardcore Red Wings fan hates them or is completely against them.

As for Melrose coaching Tampa Bay, he has said in the past he would love to get back into coaching again. Is it about publicity for the Lightning? Perhaps, but I don't go into conspiracy theories or go into side stories all that much so I refuse to believe that is the reason or the only reason.

It'll be fun to see how he performs and if he can possbily make them into a playoff contender after the team finished last in the conference this past season. If that does happen though, I'll be pointing and laughing (inside of course) at many people in this thread. :D

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I'm looking forward to seeing this. For some reason I have always like Tampa Bay so I want to see them get back to their winnings ways of a couple years ago.

Melrose does not deserve another coaching job. He can claim all he wants that he took the Kings to the Stanley Cup. I call shenanigans on that, Greztky and Hrudy took them to the cup and then what happened to them in 93-94 27-45-12 and 94-95 16-23-9 Then release by the Kings to join ESPN. He has not coached a game in 12 yrs. Again he is inheriting a talented offensive team that he will send into a Tailspin once he is through with them. He belongs back in Glen Falls and out of the view of a microphone just another broadcastor in love with the sound of their voice

I have no problem with B-Mel (street name) as a head coach but in a limited sort of niche. He'd be a great motivator-type coach which would appeal best to a rock-bottom team (NYI, TML) or a solid top-tier team needing that emotional boost (SJS [god knows they're better off with Mclellan than B-Mel, Anaheim, NJD) of a spirit guy more than a strategic/tactical coach. TB has solid talent, good spirit (look at guys like skill-based Lecavelier getting into fights) and scoring ability. They could have gained so much cost-wise in investing in a serious golatending talent. Torts was a hella' spirit guy, they could have done much better actually going the opposite way, a kind of coach that could keep them toned down and teach more responsibility (Hitchcock comes to mind if he wasn't already in the CBJ system). That said, it does get him off ESPN, which is both better for the league, so we don't have to listen to his rambling, and him, so he doesn't have to make stuff up to sound smart.

He is capable, though by comparison to a player, this is not his role to play.

:lol:

We know. He had one good season and then couldnt coach a team with Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, and Luc Robitaille all in their prime out of a paper bag. I mean 93-94 was just brutal.

This post is SPOT-ON. I had just moved to California after the Habs won the Cup, and watching the Kings flounder was pretty bad. Worse was they beat the Wings 10-3 at the Forum.