• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Stuart has possible shoulder injury

Rate this topic

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/

Holland 'shoulders' the burden of Stuart negotiations; Lilja likely to re-sign, but Holland may wait to determine Osgood's 'back-up' plan

Posted by George James Malik June 23, 2008 23:34PM

According to the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan, Red Wings GM Ken Holland won't have a difficult time re-signing Andreas Lilja...

June 23, Detroit News: Lilja, who took Chris Chelios' place in the lineup in the Stanley Cup Finals, can become an unrestricted free agent July 1. He said at the end of the season he wanted to return to Detroit.

Wings general manager Ken Holland said he and Lilja are close to an agreement.

"We may have something done by the end of the week," Holland said. "We weren't far apart late in the season. I'm optimistic we'll get something done."

But the news on unrestricted free agent-to-be Brad Stuart is bad on two fronts; first, his agent is Pat "Bagdhad Bob" Brisson, who many Red Wings fans will remember as the man who guided Sergei Fedorov through an incredibly bitter divorce with Detroit in 2003, and second, Stuart's got some shoulder issues:

The Wings are still trying to work out a deal with defenseman Brad Stuart, also a potential unrestricted free agent.

Holland met with Stuart's agent, Pat Brisson, during the NHL draft last weekend. Stuart's shoulder has been bothering him recently, and he is scheduled for tests Wednesday.

If Stuart's shoulder problems require surgery, four or five months of recovery would mean a November or December return with whoever signs him. A player having "tests" for shoulder issues in late June, that's bad, bad, bad, bad news, and yes, the repetition is necessary.

Holland isn't amused:

June 24, Detroit News: "It's something that came out of the blue," Holland said. ... The Wings would like to sign Stuart for close to the $3 million per season Kronwall is earning. But reports from the draft indicated the Kings want to bring back Stuart, who was also a good fit with them, providing a positive veteran influence on a young team, and probably would be willing to match the $3.5 million he earned last season.

"We'll keep talking," Holland said. "It's part of the process."

In his Tuesday morning article, Kulfan says that Lilja will probably sign a one or two-year deal before the unrestricted free agent period starts, but that's not the only item on Holland's agenda:

Holland said he'll meet with Chelios again this week. Chelios, 46, said the two sides have the framework for a one-year contract worked out, but Holland said he wants to make sure Chelios is comfortable with a reduced role With defenseman Derek Meech, Kyle Quincey and Jonathan Ericsson ready to play in the NHL, the Wings could have 10 defensemen in camp if Stuart, Lilja and Chelios return.

"If one of the veterans don't return, then we have to decide do we replace them or go with the young kids," Holland said. "We have depth at the position."

Holland added the Wings will sign a goalie after July 1. Whether he will back up Chris Osgood or play in Grand Rapids (with Jimmy Howard backing up Osgood) will be determined during free agency when the list of available goalies becomes clearer. Holland also will likely learn whether Dallas Drake is retiring, as expected.

That's a new "take," and probably a wise one. Goalies go fast on July 1st, but they're also paid ridiculous salaries (see: Ottawa paying $3.7 million a season for Martin Gerber in 2006, Boston agreeing to take on Manny Fernandez at $4.5 million a season from Minnesota in 2007), so waiting to see whether Alex Auld or Johan Holmqvist are willing to take less than the Wings' starter will be making (Osgood will earn $1.7 million next season) to back Ozzie up makes sense.

As far as Stuart's concerned? The one problem is that he's gotten his Cup ring, and that might mean that his priorities shift back to his California-based family, even if that means playing with a team that's a few years away from contending again.

I don't think we'll re-sign Stuart, but we'll be just fine without him. We have the depth, but we could still pick up another free agent either before the season or at the deadline if it's a problem.

Not sure about our goalie situation. The best possible thing for us is to have Howard backing up, but it might be better to have another guy to compete if that goes wrong. Also, Holland may be thinking of Ozzy as well. As good as he is, his best years in his career are when he was working in a good tandem. Maybe he's looking for a 1a 1b system, and doesn't think Howard is ready.

Never seemed Stu felt comfortable with the wings. I know it's like a kid in a new school, but he just didn't look right with the high speed, low hitting of the Wings.

TBH, it just doesn't seem likely that he'll be back. While I'd love to see him stick around, I'd be very willing to bet Kenny is working the phones right now of UFA agents figuring out if a guy fits the role and place Stuart will leave, and if so...if the price is right.

I absolutely would like to see a UFA brought in to replace Stuart shoud he depart, but I'm not going to be heartbroken if the right player/deal doesn't present itself. Kenny has made solid deadline deals, and I'm sure a similar one to this year will be made toward the deadline if the Wings run with what they have.

that shoulder injury is probably it for any chance of him returning

no way we sign him for 3-4 mil a year and not have him come back till January

That is one school of thought that is rattling around in my head, the other is will this lower is asking price or make him open to a one year deal?

I was pretty sure that he was leaving (Family reasons my only evidence) and I still am.

Honestly if he wasn't injured, I haven't said it yet but here it goes, he ends up in Pho.

Close enough to the left coast and they look to be finished with "Rebuilding" and look to be trying to form a contender.

Stuart needs to only look at Fedorov to what happens when Brisson's client follows his money>hockey guidance.

Also very very few players perform well when they leave Red Wings. Actually can't think of anyone right now, Fedorov became huge bust everywhere he went (maybe except this season), Hull retired, Bertuzzi, Schneider, Larionov, Shannahan...

It should be player who decide his career not agent.

I can see Kenny signing Holmquist as a backup to Ozzie . It would be nice to see how Jimmy H. can handle the new look griffins( the no vets just kids rule is now in effect ) and if he can hold them above water this year .. to me he is still to inconsistant to be thrown into 20 orso games and lose confidence. I'd think holmquist could come cheap and who the hell knows maybe even challenge Ozzie for the playoffs and turn around his career like most do in D-town

I don't think we'll re-sign Stuart, but we'll be just fine without him. We have the depth, but we could still pick up another free agent either before the season or at the deadline if it's a problem.

Not sure about our goalie situation. The best possible thing for us is to have Howard backing up, but it might be better to have another guy to compete if that goes wrong. Also, Holland may be thinking of Ozzy as well. As good as he is, his best years in his career are when he was working in a good tandem. Maybe he's looking for a 1a 1b system, and doesn't think Howard is ready.

I love how people say we will be juts fine without him, yet one of the primary reasons we won the Cup was because of him and Kronwall. Go figure.

Wouldn't a shoulder injury make it easier to re-sign him? Other teams might nto be willing to wait to see if he'll gel.

And as for Baghdad Bob, I never knew he was his agent. We're screwed.

Probie,

For any goaltender to come in and take Ozzie's spot would take a drastic fall on ozzie's part. Much like Dom's of this past season, yes I said past not post.

Dom was injury riddled throughout the season, but Babs told him he was the starter and he was the starter until he showed he couldn't right his ship and in turn the Wings ship.

Ozzie was just the best goaltender in the playoffs, was an All star, starter because of injuries or lack of desire to go, but still an All star. It would take a monumental season for Holmqvist or anyone to supplant Ozzie, not saying it couldn't happen but it would have to be one hell of a year for that netminder or one disastrous year form Ozzie.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

I have no problem with Stuart jumping ship back to LA.. He was a pivital part in our stanley cup win. and It only cost us a 2nd and a 4th round selection to solidify our roster for long enough to win the cup.. Good deal..

Idealy. I'd do

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Ericsson

Meech - Lilja/Quincey Rotating.

*Chelios*

Trade Lebda..

Bye stuart i'll always remember you as a Calgary Flame, Tugging on Dan Cleary like he was a peice of meat.

Holmqvist or Kolzig would make sense...

Only if they are fine being the back up and we admit that Howard is never going to be a NHL goaltender. And they would have to sign for less than 2 mil a season. I'd like to see Howard get his chance at backing up Ozzie.

Only if they are fine being the back up and we admit that Howard is never going to be a NHL goaltender. And they would have to sign for less than 2 mil a season. I'd like to see Howard get his chance at backing up Ozzie.

Kolzig? You're kidding right? He's what 38?

I have no problem with Stuart jumping ship back to LA.. He was a pivital part in our stanley cup win. and It only cost us a 2nd and a 4th round selection to solidify our roster for long enough to win the cup.. Good deal..

Idealy. I'd do

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Ericsson

Meech - Lilja/Quincey Rotating.

*Chelios*

Trade Lebda..

Bye stuart i'll always remember you as a Calgary Flame, Tugging on Dan Cleary like he was a peice of meat.

Yea, right, Ericcson is going to go from playing 5 NHL games to the #4 D-man on the Red Wings. You aren't serious are you?

Just becuase he is big and played well in 5 games, don't give him the Norris yet.

Kolzig? You're kidding right? He's what 38?

And replaced by Huet on the run to the playoffs, he was supplanted by a career back up, yes I know Huet has been a starter but not on a legit contender.

Kolzig should retire, but I see Tampa and the Mullet making an offer for him.

Even though I think Smith has the goods to be a quality goaltender.

Would love to see Stu stay, maybe for 3 mil 1 year deal to see how he recovers from the injury. Possibly sign him long term after next season but i don't see him staying away from him family for another year especially with the new born at home.

I think he could go to L.A or Phoenix.

Stuart needs to only look at Fedorov to what happens when Brisson's client follows his money>hockey guidance.

Also very very few players perform well when they leave Red Wings. Actually can't think of anyone right now, Fedorov became huge bust everywhere he went (maybe except this season), Hull retired, Bertuzzi, Schneider, Larionov, Shannahan...

It should be player who decide his career not agent.

My brother and I talk about this as the curse of the Red Wings. More players that have stunk after they have left include Lapionte, Lang (who amazingly has been even worse since leaving), Robitaille (who was close to retirement), and Dandenault.

The only players I look at as doing legitimately well after leaving the Wings are Slava Kozlov, Sean Avery, and Keith Primeau.

Funny that people criticized Holland and Co. for drafting a goalie in the first round. Howard isn't even a lock for a roster spot next year.

Guest Crymson
My brother and I talk about this as the curse of the Red Wings. More players that have stunk after they have left include Lapionte, Lang (who amazingly has been even worse since leaving), Robitaille (who was close to retirement), and Dandenault.

The only players I look at as doing legitimately well after leaving the Wings are Slava Kozlov, Sean Avery, and Keith Primeau.

None of those three left; they were all traded.

I hate to say it, but I think it's time to move on when it comes to Brad Stuart.

He was great with Kronwall, it's a shame really

None of those three left; they were all traded.

It wasn't my point whether they left on their own or were traded. I'm just talking about players who were on the Wings, then went to another team, and then stunk (or the exceptions who didn't). How they left the Wings is irrelevant for this conversation.

Edited by redwinger4747