• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GVSUhockey

Kyle Wellwood?

Rate this topic

what about bringing Wellwood in to the mix....the Leafs are leaning toward not bringing him back next season so hell hit the UFA list on July 1st. he has had some injury problems which hurt him a bit developing (no pun intended) but he might be the kind of player that would thrive in a system like the wings have because he wont be one of the guys looked to to provide alot of offense like he was in Toronto.....

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Last thing we need is more soft players imo.

Not saying he is a bad player, From what i seen he still has alot of untapped potential that the maple leafs will never be able to get out of him.. But We played Hudler who is a skilled forward on the 4th line. I doubt kyle wants too and i dont think detroit would want to either

I would love to bring in Wellwood. He would be a solid choice for secondary scoring and would have a lot less pressure on him here. He still has a lot of potential and career ahead of him.

The question is money. How much are we willing to pay for a guy who has shown potential but not consistency and has had some injury problems?

Sportsnet has him listed at $950,000 currently... which to me actually sounds like a steal. If he tests the UFA market then I say we see what we can get him for. Kyle Wellwood for 1.5 mil, anyone?

Wellwood is still young and is a great skater. Its not like were so loaded with forward prospects that we shouldnt even look at him.

Edited by UP2HERE

i understand him to be a disaster...

Like Cleary pre-Wings X 10

Smokes, is in horrible shape, plays zero defense, no heart, gets by on talent alone, not likeable and is injured all the time. If the Leafs are passing on a cheap player of his ability, that says a lot. He would be hated here.

Last thing we need is more soft players imo.

Not saying he is a bad player, From what i seen he still has alot of untapped potential that the maple leafs will never be able to get out of him.. But We played Hudler who is a skilled forward on the 4th line. I doubt kyle wants too and i dont think detroit would want to either

You mean all those soft players that didn't back down from anyone for 2 months and won us a Stanley Cup? I dont know if you've noticed but the soft cliche has kind of worn off around here !! <_<

Wellwood is not a great skater as some of you seem to think. He is however an excellent playmaker and has good moves. I live near Toronto so I am somewhat aware of his problems though. I wasn't aware that he smoked, but I do know that he comes to camp every year in terrible shape, and his work ethic during the year is not much better. ITs a shame because he has a lot of potential, if he was able to get into great shape during the sumer I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him, and you could get him for 800,000 a year since he has done jack s*** thus far in his career... However, we are not in need of a guy like this at the moment, we have lots of young guys who can fill the same role for a similar price, ones who have not displayed this tendency to be injured all the time.

brubs, if you are willing to pay wellwood 1.5 mill you are bats*** crazy.

You mean all those soft players that didn't back down from anyone for 2 months and won us a Stanley Cup? I dont know if you've noticed but the soft cliche has kind of worn off around here !! <_<

Why should it wear off? Are you suggesting we should go after more soft players just because this group won the Stanley cup?

Wellwood is soft and inconsistent. We don't need him on this team because those aren't the guys anyone would want on their team. Don't expect Babcock to make something out of nothing with every player who comes here.

Kyle Wellwood is canadian, and he is soft. This isnt some dismissal aobut his game due to his nationality. Its an observation about his game.

People seriously need to watch some of the players on here before they go to the stat sheet and draw their conclusions from there. Toronto is rebuilidng and is going to hoard all the young talent they can find. The fact that they're cutting Wellwood lose speaks volumes.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Pardon me for having an opinion.. and a preference on a style of play..

Can you really argue with me that Henrik,Pavel,Jiri,Valteri,Draper,Franzen,Sammy Were all very soft players throughout the entire "regular" season, Playoffs? SOME picked up there physical play. some stayed soft as butter.. They might of put up a winning team that won the stanley cup, but i dont know if you know this but we PLAY IN THE CENTRAL DIVISION..

3 of the teams in the central were in the top 7 for fight totals.. and have tons of character players who would love to bang with the wings, If you are content with more injury riddled seasons because there is no one on a top line who can protect our top players 1 bit. Then you have fun with that.. Because they will be running out players all year long and theres no one on our team to tell/show them differently.

Why should it wear off? Are you suggesting we should go after more soft players just because this group won the Stanley cup?

Wellwood is soft and inconsistent. We don't need him on this team because those aren't the guys anyone would want on their team. Don't expect Babcock to make something out of nothing with every player who comes here.

I think what he is suggesting, I may be wrong, is that the wings go after the best talent and not worry about whether they are supposedly soft or gritty.

But yes the we need more grit argument has been worn thin and has very little ground to stand on.

Can you really argue with me that Henrik,Pavel,Jiri,Valteri,Draper,Franzen,Sammy Were all very soft players throughout the entire "regular" season, Playoffs? SOME picked up there physical play. some stayed soft as butter.. They might of put up a winning team that won the stanley cup, but i dont know if you know this but we PLAY IN THE CENTRAL DIVISION..

3 of the teams in the central were in the top 7 for fight totals.. and have tons of character players who would love to bang with the wings, If you are content with more injury riddled seasons because there is no one on a top line who can protect our top players 1 bit. Then you have fun with that.. Because they will be running out players all year long and theres no one on our team to tell/show them differently.

You mean like last season?

I think what he is suggesting, I may be wrong, is that the wings go after the best talent and not worry about whether they are supposedly soft or gritty.

But yes the we need more grit argument has been worn thin and has very little ground to stand on.

Wellwood has some skills, but if he can't motivate himself enough to develop those skills into something valuable on the ice, why should we take him? The Wings aren't running some reform school for washed up players, but instead an organization that only knows how to win.

We succeeded with guys like Lilja and Cleary, but I don't think it'll work with everyone because of that.

Wellwood has some skills, but if he can't motivate himself enough to develop those skills into something valuable on the ice, why should we take him? The Wings aren't running some reform school for washed up players, but instead an organization that only knows how to win.

We succeeded with guys like Lilja and Cleary, but I don't think it'll work with everyone because of that.

Sorry some how my RX's clouded my post I think, I am in no way shape or form suggesting the wings get him, this team strives on players working in a team first environment. I was just saying I think the meaning of his post was not go after soft players, but go after the best available, I don't suggest signing Wellwood, at all.

Thank you Opie for understanding...do I want Kyle Wellwood on the Wing's? ...no thanks !!

Yes we do play in the Central Division..a divison we have won 1000 years in a row. A division where we rarely get any competition. Are the teams in the Central getting better?..of course they are but the aren't even close to the Wing's. The other teams in the central can continue to get bigger and slower if the choose. The fact of the matter is the slower and bigger and tougher they get the less of a chance they have agains the Wing's because they wont be able to catch us...we are faster, smoother, smarter and more skilled. As for grit..how many times does Pavel Datsyuk of Z go into the corner with a bigger guy and initiate contact and come out with the puck? I will take that kind of hard work Euro grit any day of the week over some 6'3 220lbs guy who can ram some guy through the boards but has no skill.

Wellwood's got all the skill in the world, he can stickhandle in a phonebooth. Problem with him, is that he doesn't give two you-know-what's about conditioning, and he gets hurt in a gentle breeze.

Also, his defensive game is non-existant and he tends to float more often than not. Really good little player when he wants to be, though.

no, we do not need any of the leafs castoffs. i would take dominic moore over wellwood any day because hudler is far better than wellwood. the guy is fat and lazy and refuses to take hockey seriously enough to work out in the offseason. he also gets injured non stop and has this weird hernia thing that seems to pop up once every two weeks.

omg, look at the gut on him. I know a lot of players take it easy in the offseason, but c'mon. He needs to lose like 20 pounds of fat before he can expect to become a successful player.

That is what you call a s***LOCKER, I know because I have one !! :lol:

Edited by puckbags