• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DSM

Red Wings to carry enforcer.

Rate this topic

Agreed.

Laraque is an actual heavy weight. He'd destroy Downey, no fault of Downeys at all I like the guy too, but big Georges is in a whole nother class as far as fighting and intimidating go. He seems from what i've saw throughout his carrer, to be a great team and locker room guy too. And like you say NFM, he's better down low and when he actually has the puck on his stick. It's not an option but Brasher would be a perfect fit on that fourth line. That guy can play the game, control the puck down low, and take on anyone in the leauge. I'm not opposed to Downey coming back, and i love fights, but Laraque is a better option IMO. Alot can be said about Downey's poise though. I think back to the St. Louis (i think, maybe dallas not sure) when Downey had 3 guys hanging off his back and cheapshotting him and he just kept his cool. Said something along the lines of "as long as there going after me instead of Hudler" or something like that.

No doubt....I agree completely. Personally, I'd like to see him and Laraque and then sign Mac to a two-way contract. I don't see it happening due to the overload of Dmen and the fact that its overkill on *this* Red Wings team, but that would be the best of both worlds.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

No doubt....I agree completely. Personally, I'd like to see him and Laraque and then sign Mac to a two-way contract. I don't see it happening due to the overload of Dmen and the fact that its overkill on *this* Red Wings team, but that would be the best of both worlds.

I'd like to see what Dmac could do with a full training camp with Babcock under his belt. It was obvious that Babs had more faith in Mac than Downey when the chips were down. Don't want to come off as being "anti" downey or anything and he fills his role well, but for me, I'd rather see a guy who could either play a decent game as well and has potential for big game goals (mac) or simply flatten guys like Laraque. As far as all three, I don't think Downey would have a problem playing in G.R. on a two way deal, but that's just a guess on my part.

I'd rather see DMac get the 2-way contract. Postseason experience was just about the only reason he played over Downey in the playoffs.

His diminished skills were exposed in his 4 penalty game against Dallas.

Keep in mind that Laraque made almost twice as much money as Downey did this year. When you are paying that much for a player you would like to have him in there all the time. I would rather sign Downey for 600,000, only play him 1/3 or 1/2 th games and give the rest of his time to a younger player. I don't think Laraque quite has the skill to be an every day kinda player.

Keep in mind that Laraque made almost twice as much money as Downey did this year. When you are paying that much for a player you would like to have him in there all the time. I would rather sign Downey for 600,000, only play him 1/3 or 1/2 th games and give the rest of his time to a younger player. I don't think Laraque quite has the skill to be an every day kinda player.

Not to knock Downey, but Laraque had 13 points to Downey's 3 last year with Georges playing only 15 games more than Aaron.

Not to knock Downey, but Laraque had 13 points to Downey's 3 last year with Georges playing only 15 games more than Aaron.

ya, I know Downey sucks, but for the 1.2 million georges was payed last year he should be scoring more than 13 points and should be playing all the time. I would rather have one of our young guys in and then throw Downey out there in certain situations. There is no risk when you are paying someone close to the league minimum.

ya, I know Downey sucks, but for the 1.2 million georges was payed last year he should be scoring more than 13 points and should be playing all the time. I would rather have one of our young guys in and then throw Downey out there in certain situations. There is no risk when you are paying someone close to the league minimum.

No doubt, and this is why I have zero problem with the Wings bringing back guys like Downey and Mac.

IMO, Georges probably isn't going to be offered that much money on the open market. If the Wings could steal him for $850-$900 I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I would love Milan Lucic from Boston, i know it wont happen because hes a youngin and i think that boston is going to want to keep this guy in their system for a very long time, but the boy is HUGE and likes to mix it up. Hes not even affraid if hooking up with big enforcers even though he himself is only 19. Hes going to be a force to recon with in the future. With that said i think a pick up like a laraque type player is coming. With Drake gone we need a guy that can put the puck in the net ocassionally or chip in with an assist here and there. I think our chemistry was fantastic with drake, and now that he is leaving we need a guy that can do exactly what he can do and provide that spark that hebrought. A guy like Laraque that can fill Drakes shoes pretty closely might be a good idea. With that said, im not Holland so my opinion doesnt mean anything.

"I love that guy," Red Wings forward Aaron Downey said. "I'd go thru a brick wall for that guy." I'd run into traffic for that guy."

I'm not saying sign him and dress him every game but the guy has been here one year and has infected the locker room with his upbeat attitude and perhaps made the team tougher. He picks his spots and he lets everyone know that if you mess with his boys he's not going to stand for it. I miss Probie and Joey KO as much as the next guy and realize that we won't be represented like that on the ice anytime soon, he's cheap and as its been said over and over he isn't a liability out there.

I have faith in the Wings braintrust and believe they will do what is needed to put the best team on the ice, hopefully a guy with a s***load of respect for his teammates will be there as well.

I am sorry but to me a guy who can only play 4.5 minutes a game is a liability, it shortens your bench and it doesn't give his linemates the opportunities they should have to develop chemistry.

More than likely Helm and Hudler would be on the 4th line with him, yet they only play with him less than half of their minutes, then they are playing with a winger from another line, if he can't play 8-10 minutes he is a liability.

I LOVED the fact he turtled Lappy, but to say things like he earned a spot even if it is 5 games, or that he deserves 5 minutes a game wreaks of the guy being a liability he may not be a liability in the fact that he doesn't take penalties but the fact he doesn't skate well (For and NHL player) and has hands of stone make him a liability on the ice, he has one role, protect players. He does it well, but if the wings can get a guy that can play 8-10 minutes play some D, get 10-25 points a season that is not a liability because he can play in a lot more situations and more minutes than Downey.

After this past season where Wing players (mostly Downey) actually suck up for their teammates, I'm surprised so many people don't want Downey or some enforcer here. He played an extremely limited role but did it well.

Have people already forgotten what it was like to "let the powerplay be our enforcer" and watch Wings players get run with no repercussions?

After this past season where Wing players (mostly Downey) actually suck up for their teammates, I'm surprised so many people don't want Downey or some enforcer here. He played an extremely limited role but did it well.

Have people already forgotten what it was like to "let the powerplay be our enforcer" and watch Wings players get run with no repercussions?

If your comment was directed at me, not sure it was, I am not saying let the PP be the enforcer, I am saying have an enforcer that if he dresses for 54 games it won't be his career high, or that if he averages more than 6:43 ATOI it won't be a career high, or if he scores 6 points it won't be a career high.

A guy who can play 75+ games (barring injury) get some where between 8-10 minutes just possibly get 10+ points, heaven forbid he get 15-20.

I would love Lucic, not happening, and those players are very hard to find I get that, but no matter what people say Aaron Downey and his limited ability and skill make him a liability, you have to plan a back up for him. He is the only non goaltender on the team that needs a back up because you know he can't play the whole season, and when he is in the lineup he can't even handle the minutes his 4th line role demands.

Plus I stand by my point I was making a year ago, having an enforcer will not stop Lappy or Pronger or Tuutu from running LIds, Z, Dats.

Edited by Opie

When Lidstrom gets railed by Lappy, I guarantee all you guys stood up out of your seat and yelled at the tv in excitement when aaron downey made Lappy turtle.. i guarantee it.

And what would you say if no one did anythign? you would complain that the team let there captain get destroyed with no consequences

Laraque is a boring fighter.

Where is Lou Siffer? GMR? KP? Detroit #1 Fan? I need some back up.. it seems like people forgot what real hockey was and should be.

Real hockey = four championships in 11 years. I don't think you can get much more "real" than that. Fights are great and all, but I'm perfectly satisfied seeing the Red Wings dominate the NHL with skill, puck-possession, and shutdown defense.

I'm happy to see Downey and/or McCarty coming back because they do stick up for their teammates, but neither provides much to the game beyond that aspect. With the Red Wings current depth at forward, it's pretty likely neither would crack the lineup during the playoffs.

I know people like to see fights (myself included), but to act like having an enforcer is a "must" or the reason teams win championships is just false. For entertainment value, Downey and McCarty are nice. To win hockey games, neither has much impact.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

I didn't see anything from Pronger or Tootoo this year against the wings.. *cheaply* Tootoo was silenced all yaer, because Mac, Dowey, Drake and even Lilja were in his face.

Edited by Dump-N-Thump

If your comment was directed at me, not sure it was, I am not saying let the PP be the enforcer, I am saying have an enforcer that if he dresses for 54 games it won't be his career high, or that if he averages more than 6:43 ATOI it won't be a career high, or if he scores 6 points it won't be a career high.

A guy who can play 75+ games (barring injury) get some where between 8-10 minutes just possibly get 10+ points, heaven forbid he get 15-20.

I would love Lucic, not happening, and those players are very hard to find I get that, but no matter what people say Aaron Downey and his limited ability and skill make him a liability, you have to plan a back up for him. He is the only non goaltender on the team that needs a back up because you know he can't play the whole season, and when he is in the lineup he can't even handle the minutes his 4th line role demands.

Plus I stand by my point I was making a year ago, having an enforcer will not stop Lappy or Pronger or Tuutu from running LIds, Z, Dats.

My comment wasn't directed at you specifically.

The PP be our enforcer was the crap the Wings were saying two years ago when they had no one that would drop the gloves to stick up for their teammates.

having an enforcer may not prevent guys from running our star players, but it helps team morale and chemistry when you know someone's got your back and will put a beat down on the player that ran you, rather than turning the other cheek. I don't know if I can find them anymore, but over the season there were several quotes from players saying as much.

I'm not saying it has to be Downey, but I think his presence made a difference even in his limited ice time. The Wings have plenty of guys who can contribute on the scoresheet. Downey provides something they don't really get anywhere else. For that reason I'd rather have someone like Downey eating up a roster spot than someone like Chelios, who may sit half the season in spite of us having plenty of guys who can fill that role and play all season long.

I don't care that it's Downey per se. but if not him, I want someone filling that role. And yeah, i'd love to see Lucic, but it's not happening.

I didn't see anything from Pronger or Tootoo this year against the wings.. *cheaply* Tootoo was silenced all yaer, because Mac, Dowey, Drake and even Lilja were in his face.

That's because Cleary popped him a few times, forcing the "chrissy eye gouge" :D

Cool Harold,

I am with you Downey would be a hell of a lot better than nothing, but I would like to see them get someone who can skate every game.

I wouldn't mind the Wings giving both Downey and McCarty 2-way contracts, but I don't see the necessity of having them both on the roster. Lets be honest, the whole "stick up for our players" argument is pretty weak, as thats never been the major problem for the Wings (at least it is not the problem that kept them from winning). The reason the Wings played better this year and played more physical is that they, as a team, had finally bought into Babcock's system, not that they had picked up more grit by osmosis from Downey and McCarty sitting in the press box. I guess there is still an argument that Downey and McCarty bring an entertainment factor to the game, but I also wonder how strong of an argument that is. Maybe its just me, but I find it boring watching AHL caliber players fight. Unfortunately, I don't see any returns to the old days, where guys like Gordie Howe and other legitimate, elite players would drop the gloves.

I wouldn't mind the Wings giving both Downey and McCarty 2-way contracts, but I don't see the necessity of having them both on the roster. Lets be honest, the whole "stick up for our players" argument is pretty weak, as thats never been the major problem for the Wings (at least it is not the problem that kept them from winning). The reason the Wings played better this year and played more physical is that they, as a team, had finally bought into Babcock's system, not that they had picked up more grit by osmosis from Downey and McCarty sitting in the press box. I guess there is still an argument that Downey and McCarty bring an entertainment factor to the game, but I also wonder how strong of an argument that is. Maybe its just me, but I find it boring watching AHL caliber players fight. Unfortunately, I don't see any returns to the old days, where guys like Gordie Howe and other legitimate, elite players would drop the gloves.

What about Vinny, Iginla, Thorton (when forced), Phaneuf, Doan, hell even Ovechkin and Crosby (on occasion). I mean no, it's not like in Gordies day, but you also can't rat pack a guy in the corner like they used to either. I actually have noticed more fights and a wider variety of players fighting than the past few years.

Cool Harold,

I am with you Downey would be a hell of a lot better than nothing, but I would like to see them get someone who can skate every game.

Agreed. I'm most certainly not advocating steering away from carrying an enforcer. I feel I made my point very clear when I stated that I would like to see the Wings carry DMac, Downey *and* Laraque.......albiet with Darren or Aaron (or both) having a two-way contract. I would love having an enforcer that can skate every game and chip in on offense once in a while. Guys like Downey are phenomenal depth guys to be called in when needed, but the ideal situation regarding Downey and the Wings is a two-way contract.

exactly, we dont need em both. and since mccarty CAN play hockey and will only get better next season and downey CANT play hockey, never has and never will, we should loose downey.

of course he has great presence in the locker room, but so does mccarty. and in the end, he is not the guy that 20 games into the next season ppl will be missing. sure they/we will remember him, but we just dont need him, he is a liability and not an asset. from a players and a fans perspective sure its too bad to let him go, but from a management perspective, its wise to let him go. in the end you cant keep all the players just because you like 'em