• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DSM

Red Wings to carry enforcer.

Rate this topic

"At forward, Holland hopes to learn in the next couple days whether Dallas Drake will retire. He must sign Valtteri Filppula, a restricted free agent. He does not anticipate making a move with Darren McCarty or Aaron Downey until later in the summer. The Red Wings will carry an enforcer on their roster. They believe opponents might take even more liberties against their skilled players next season now that they are the Stanley Cup champions."

2 words:

Aaron

and

Downey.

:thumbup:

Why do so many Wings fans on this board love Aaron Downey? Sure, he's a great guy and sticks up for his teamates well, but c'mon, other than fighting, he's USELESS on the ice. I mean did you guys watch the regular season? Where is all this Downey love coming from? He can fight but he can't play hockey, it makes no sense to keep him.

Why do so many Wings fans on this board love Aaron Downey? Sure, he's a great guy and sticks up for his teamates well, but c'mon, other than fighting, he's USELESS on the ice. I mean did you guys watch the regular season? Where is all this Downey love coming from? He can fight but he can't play hockey, it makes no sense to keep him.

I watched the regular season, and thoroughly enjoyed when Downey was in the lineup. :thumbup:

I watched the regular season, and thoroughly enjoyed when Downey was in the lineup. :thumbup:

Well of course because we would all love to see him fight and piss the other team off. But he was barely out there 5 min a game and never did anything productive. And I mean never. Seriously, 0 goals, 3 assists in 56 games? I'd rather give that ice time to Leino or Kopecky or Abdelkader or Ritola, someone.....ANYONE. Someone else that can develop and become a better player. Downey will never be anything more than what he is, which is a fighter and nothing else.

Edited by redwinger4747

He really seemed like he didn't want the puck, and then when he got the puck, he seemed to turn it over a lot.

As much as I like McCarty, he skates like he has Yzerman's bad knees from the end of 2002.

Darcy Tucker is available, and Toronto picks up a third (or is it two-thirds) of his salary.

I am not opposed to this since he at least has some offensive upside and would fill Drake's role relatively well. Having said that, we in no way need him and shouldn't offer him much money, if we even decided to call his agent at all.

Guest Crymson

Osgood had as many points (3) as Downey did during the regular season.

Darcy Tucker is available, and Toronto picks up a third (or is it two-thirds) of his salary.

Tucker is a free agent. Toronto paying out 1M to Tucker over the next six years is irrelevant to his next contract.

And Tucker also isnt an enforcer, but a glorified agitator who can score.

Laraque :thumbup:

Isn't he available now? He is also a decent 4th line player excluding his fighting as well. Could be a good fit for us. I'd take him over DMac and Downey, although we all know DMac will be sticking around in a depth role, which I'm sure nobody has any issues with.

He may be useless, but he sticks up for his teammates. Wings fans like him because hes the first legit enforcer on this squad since McCarty before injury issues, and the subsequent release. You take what you can get.

As far as I remember, McGrattan is going to hit the market, but Downeys already built a rapport with the fans. Its character schmucks like Downey that are great for the fans.

Just looked it up, and Laraque is a UFA. I can't see him sticking with the Pens at all. I'd love to see him in the Winged wheel! Much like Downey, he to has a great personality. You can never have too many great character guys on a team. He'd definitely make for some good entertainment, and thats not even referring to his fighting!!

Laraque :thumbup:

Isn't he available now? He is also a decent 4th line player excluding his fighting as well. Could be a good fit for us. I'd take him over DMac and Downey, although we all know DMac will be sticking around in a depth role, which I'm sure nobody has any issues with.

Laraque isn't a bad idea at all. The only thing is, I could see him making substantially more than your average enforcer because, well, hes not your average enforcer. He has enough skill to be an everyday player, but I could see him getting a little over 1M for a few years, and Detroit wont offer that. Isnt he coming off a 1.5M contract?

Maybe we could steal Sortini from Edmonton?? :yowza:

This isn't a big suprise that they are going to carry Downey..they did it last year and it seems this year's situation will be no different. The only difference is that Downey won't see 56 games this year..he will be luck to see 40 with D-mac around. Downey will play 3-4 minutes a game and warm the end of the bench and when the very very very small chance comes that we let the other team piss us off he will pick the slivers out of his ass and pound on someone for entertainments sake and then go back to the bench and lay down a fresh towel so the next time he gets up off the bench he wont get slivers in his ass !!! This team as we saw in the playoffs is built around team toughness..guys sticking up for each other when the time comes, we did an excellent job in the regular season and especially in the playoffs of not letting teams lure us into that bulls*** and what it does is just piss them off more and more.

You guys that claim an enforcer isn't needed in favor of a more skilled player must have some sort of memory disorder. There's really only two points to make, and I don't really even need to argue them.

1) The young up-and-comers don't need to ride pine and get 5:00 minutes a night when they could get four times that in the AHL. It hurts development.

2) A fighter is needed. Team toughness is needed. Grit is needed. The main difference between the Cup team and the lost-to-Anaheim team would boil down to those simple factors, plus some unfortunate injuries. Carrying a fighter as a #13 guy isn't going to hurt, especially given that the young forwards can be pulled up and down as necessary to fill roster spots without clearing waivers. All it takes is for one of the playing forwards to go on IR, given that the team will have eight defensemen.

So in short, quit bitching. Having a fighter has helped this team immeasurably, whether you like it or not. Kudos to Wings management for wanting one on the roster.

No one in the league is afraid of Downey, we need a real enforcer.

ps. Tucker is not an enforcer either, and his days are done.

If noone is afraid of Downey why did all the opposing defensivemen constantly have their heads up whenever he was on the ice ;)

McCarty isnt an enforcer. he can fight...but he can only handle Middleweights...Downey can beat the top heavy's such as Parros. Those who want to see Laraque or Stortini in a wings uniform...why? Both are very defensive fighters and spend most of their time grappling. Downey said in an interview this year he decided in his fights the best form of defence was attack...and he went unbeaten.

Oh yeh, Tucker isnt an enforcer either <_< some people need to realise the difference between a fighter and an enforcer.

Edited by uk_redwing