Well, if he's big and physical, than that's good enough for me. The last thing we need is another undersized defenseman.My hunch tells me he's the next Chris Pronger.
Honestly, I think you might be right! I began reading every article I could about this guy when I first heard that we had signed him. Granted, he won't be around for awhile, if at all, but if he steps up his game, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with.
I've read a couple different profiles about him so far, and although some of them are different than eachother, they all say a couple of the same things:
- He's a hard-hitting defenseman with GREAT size
- He's definately got a mean-streak
- Not afraid to stick up for teammates
- Surprisingly good skater for his size
- His size... 6'4"... We all like big defensemen.
he may be a little wet behind the ears, but he'll be great one day if he can continue to develop his game. If nothing else, we all know one thing's for sure. If there was any system that could develop this guy's skills the BEST, it would be the Detroit Red Wings! Best system in the world...
Speaking of other prospects I'm definately keeping my eyes on (sorry, not trying to go too off-topic)--
- Ville Leino- Plays a puck-possession style that fits the Red Wings' current system to a T ... Exciting, dynamic offensive player who has the upside to be a real home-run acquisition ... Good playmaker ... Strong down low on the cycle ... Controls the puck well along the boards ... Great puckhandler who is dangerous 1-on-1 ... Soft hands ... Finishing ability has come a long way from his earlier years in Finland ... Competitive and determined ... Capable of playing center and right wing.
- Daniel Larsson- The new Swedish goalie. I like that he came to the U.S. with only a contract, but knowing that he wouldn't be playing for a little while. He wants to be able to get used to the smaller ice, etc. Props for that, though... that's awesome.
- Max Nicastro- The kid got criticized for making it seem like he didn't want to come to Detroit, but it was a mistake... more of a misunderstanding. Anyways, he seemed like a great all-around player and a promising defenseman one day.
-Jesper Samuelson- All around, this guy sounds great. Great hockey sense, great set-up man, can be lethal on the PP, flashes of amazing skating and puck-control. If he can get himself up there, he'll be a great player for the Wings.