• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Konnan511

Red Wings, little Drama

Rate this topic

Link

"Holland has stated that Stuart would have to take a pay-cut from the $3.5M he earned last year if he wanted to remain in Detroit."..."For his part, Stuart has said that he loved his time in the Motor City and has a desire to stay. However, rumors are floating that his former team, the Los Angeles Kings want him back, will pay more, and give him more ice time."

"If Kyle Quincy, Derek Meech, or even top-prospect Jonathan Ericsson show they’re ready for NHL action, the issue(10 D-Men) will be addressed via trades."

"Filppula has already made it known that he wants to stay in Detroit and money won’t be an issue."..."Look for the Wings to lock him up long-term in the $3-4 million per year range."

"Holland is allowing Drake time to contemplate retirement while a decision on either McCarty or Downey isn’t expected until late this summer. It’s believed that the Wings want to carry at least one enforcer."

"With Johan Franzen, Henrik Zetterberg, Jiri Hudler, Tomas Holmstrom, Kirk Maltby, Brent Lebda, and Nick Lidstrom all becoming free agents in the next two seasons, Holland will have to be careful of how he allocates [this offseason's] funds."

About sums everything up eh?

"With Johan Franzen, Henrik Zetterberg, Jiri Hudler, Tomas Holmstrom, Kirk Maltby, Brent Lebda, and Nick Lidstrom all becoming free agents in the next two seasons, Holland will have to be careful of how he allocates [this offseason's] funds."

Flip at $4 million is not careful allocation, imo.

Flip at $4 million is not careful allocation, imo.

What if he is signed for 5 years and in 2 or 3 years he is putting up 60+ points? Still bad allocation? I think it's worth it, I rememeber just about everyone saying that same investment in datsyuk was a bad move...

I've noticed that reporters are usually idiots when they estimate what players will get. 4M long term for Filppula is not a good deal, not matter how you slice it. I like my players to have at least 10 NHL points to the million before they earn a big pay day.

If Filppula gets 4M long-term, what do you pay Franzen? 5.5? Thats retarded. I'd expect the deal to be 5 years/15 million. Anything else Im going to be real disspointed in, unless of course its 6 years/18M.

The articles also retarded in that its talking about the Wings being worried about what they're signing two years from now. Sure. As if the cap is going to again be 56M when its projected to possibly reach 68. Sign Franzen and Zetterberg and you shouldnt look past it. At 40 years old, Nick shouldnt be asking for another 7M payday (Dmen do go downhill fast towards the end) and Homer will be what? 38?

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Flipper and 4m?

Rediculous.. He hasn't shown enough to deserve more then 2m imo.

Flipper and 4m?

Rediculous.. He hasn't shown enough to deserve more then 2m imo.

Yeah but you can tell in the article that that number is pure inference from whoever wrote the article. Watch this:

Look for Filppula to sign a 16 year deal in the neighborhood of 9.6-11.8M per year.

See? I can do it to. Check the source anyways. Its from Bleacher Report. Basically its some guy spouting off nonsensical salary projections. Thats what I hate about the internet today. Anyone can post anything and all the readers stamp it with sort of official title.

Flip had 10 goals and 17 points in his first full season, 19 goals and 36 points in his second full season, there is no reason he can't get 25-30 goals and 50 -55 points this upcoming season, I don't know what kinda contract that gets you nowadays but I would suggest it would be 2.5-3 million for a short term contract and maybe a little more if he signs long term for like 5-6 years. Pretty good progression I would say for a 95th overall pick.

i can 3.5-4 pretty easy, fil is getting lots of icetime and is good defensively as well, and he knows the system and plays the system i do not think he will dissapoint this season i can see an easy 70-80 points if he stays on the 2nd line

No offense, but you guys are homers. Filppula is a great player, dont get me wrong, but its time to step away from the Zetterberg comparisons. Pavel Datsyuk had 68 points in his third season. And he was a year older than Flip will be in his third seasons, with a good 20 pts on Flip in you compare Pavel and Flips first and 2nd seasons.

70-80 points for Flip? Good one...

What if he is signed for 5 years and in 2 or 3 years he is putting up 60+ points? Still bad allocation? I think it's worth it, I rememeber just about everyone saying that same investment in datsyuk was a bad move...

He hasn't given any indication he can put up those kinds of numbers. Why not lock him up long term for 2.5 or 3 (I'm not sure what he's currently being paid) instead of 4? He isn't worth 4 right now. Datsyuk was worth every penny even when we signed him.

He hasn't given any indication he can put up those kinds of numbers. Why not lock him up long term for 2.5 or 3 (I'm not sure what he's currently being paid) instead of 4? He isn't worth 4 right now. Datsyuk was worth every penny even when we signed him.

he was getting paid i think 850,000 last year so i think he would gladly take 2.5-3 long term....or else hes lying when he says he wants to stay in detroit...very reasonable for what he has given us so far. It doesnt have to be like a 9 year contract. Maybe just a 3 or 4 year, that way if he does break out in the next two years we can renegotiate and get him some more money. But the best thing for both sides would be to sign him for about 3 years around 2.5-3 i would say. Wings get a young player to build around with lots of talent and potential, and Flip gets what he wants and gets to stay in Detroit. But we all know the things that make sense are not always the things that happen in real life....especially in hockey, or else the wings would win the cup every year right?

Flip wont get 4 million, 2 million is an overpayment anyways. I dont see a ton of moves this summer for the Wings, probably re-signing Lilja (Terrible move anyways.) and Mac and Downey. I really doubt Stuart is coming back, but I hope he does.

No offense, but you guys are homers. Filppula is a great player, dont get me wrong, but its time to step away from the Zetterberg comparisons. Pavel Datsyuk had 68 points in his third season. And he was a year older than Flip will be in his third seasons, with a good 20 pts on Flip in you compare Pavel and Flips first and 2nd seasons.

70-80 points for Flip? Good one...

I was in no way comparing him to Z or Dats, thats a little far fetched. I was making the simple point that his progression has been very decent. I don't know where his ceiling will be for points but I like the pace he is on and I see no reason why he can't get 70-80 pts a season consistently with his speed, skill, and smarts for the game. For the sake of the franchise I hope they lock him up for 5 years at about 3.5 per and he goes nuts and gets 35 goals and 80 points next year and then we can talk about what a steal he is in the same way we talk about what a steal Z is.

Thats my issue with Filppula, hes got skills, and hes got talent in all areas of the ice, but his offensive smarts - not really there. He has trouble choosing when to shoot, when to pass, and where to be on the ice. His offensive positioning is actually pretty poor for a 2nd liner. Hudler doesnt have half Filppulas game, but Hudler has by FAR the better offensive intelligence. Thats something that should be inherent to all guys that are going to put up "70-80" points. Hell - even 60 points.

Its very possible - and I know Im going to get hosed for even suggesting this - buts theres a possibility we could have the next Handzus on our hands, rather than a lesser Zetterberg. Not saying he is, just throwing it out there since it seems everyones convinced he'll be Detroits next great offensive threat.

I was in no way comparing him to Z or Dats, thats a little far fetched. I was making the simple point that his progression has been very decent. I don't know where his ceiling will be for points but I like the pace he is on and I see no reason why he can't get 70-80 pts a season consistently with his speed, skill, and smarts for the game. For the sake of the franchise I hope they lock him up for 5 years at about 3.5 per and he goes nuts and gets 35 goals and 80 points next year and then we can talk about what a steal he is in the same way we talk about what a steal Z is.

Well, you kind of are comparing him to Z if you think he'll get 35 goals in 80 points. Thats what Zetterberg got in his third year. At any rate, I wasnt necessarily aiming at you, when I said a lot of folks are homers on here for comparing Flip to the next Zetterberg. Its just that Ive heard that comparison a lot around the internet and I think its simply outdated, the same way saying Kronwall is the next Lidstrom is.

As for Flip, my point with listing his numbers in comparison to Datsyuks (17 pts to 35 points, 36 points in 78 games to 51 points in 64 games, etc) is that Datsyuk hit 68 points in his third campaign and so far Flip has been nowhere near Pavels numbers at any time if you parallel their careers.

Ok, it's awesome we're talking about Filppula but I think this needs more attention than him:

"If Kyle Quincy, Derek Meech, or even top-prospect Jonathan Ericsson show they’re ready for NHL action, the issue(10 D-Men) will be addressed via trades."

So if we get everyone signed, who goes, and for what?

Link

"Holland has stated that Stuart would have to take a pay-cut from the $3.5M he earned last year if he wanted to remain in Detroit."..."For his part, Stuart has said that he loved his time in the Motor City and has a desire to stay. However, rumors are floating that his former team, the Los Angeles Kings want him back, will pay more, and give him more ice time."

"Filppula has already made it known that he wants to stay in Detroit and money won’t be an issue."..."Look for the Wings to lock him up long-term in the $3-4 million per year range."

"Holland is allowing Drake time to contemplate retirement while a decision on either McCarty or Downey isn’t expected until late this summer. It’s believed that the Wings want to carry at least one enforcer."

About sums everything up eh?

When you win the Stanley Cup and it looks like at first glance that most of that SC winning team will stay intact, you hope there will be little or no drama in the offseason in terms of any player shuffling (not trying to sound like a Captain Obvious Jerk, sorry if it came out that way). With that being said, if Brad Stuart returns out west or the Wings have trouble re-signing him, I'd think whatever little drama there is at present might increase in the hunt for a middle-tier defenseman. When this happens though, who knows.

And while I'd love to see Flipper have an insane season with 70 or 80 points, I think we need to come down from Cloud-9 a little bit. He needs to shoot a lot more first and is still young developing, and I just don't see him ever consistently producing to what Datsyuk and Zetterberg seem like they'll be able to do for years now. 20-25 goals, 50-65 points might be a little more realistic ceiling.

Flip wont get 4 million, 2 million is an overpayment anyways. I dont see a ton of moves this summer for the Wings, probably re-signing Lilja (Terrible move anyways.) and Mac and Downey. I really doubt Stuart is coming back, but I hope he does.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Flip get 3 X 3 or 4 years X 3 million. Let's not forget Cleary took a discouont to stay for 2.8 per year, so there may be some slotting involved. But Danny had been around the league and found a fit in Detroit.

Like someone else said, this would be a decent raise for him. It would also get him to UFA status, with the ability to cash in at a later date. I think Z at this point probably wishes he had not signed for 4 years on his last contract and done what Pavel did and sign for 2 so that he could get to UFA status with more leverage. Either way though, Z will be a very rich man next after next season.