• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Frozen-Man

Scott Niedermayer Has Decided To Play Again Next Year

Rate this topic

It looks like Scott isn't going to take so long to decide on whether or not to retire this summer. Congrats Duck Guy he really helps your team.

"The veteran defenseman has decided to return to the NHL for the 2008-09 season, the final year of his current contract with the team."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3462099

How does this decision get easier, not harder? He's a year older, so if he was contemplating retirement after the 2007 season, I would think he'd be leaning even more toward retirement after 2008, right? Last year, he needed half a season to make up his mind. This year, he's still not sure right away, but he makes the exact same decision, only 8 months earlier?

I know there was more pressure on him from the team to make up his mind, but something about the way he's gone about this bothers me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.

How does this decision get easier, not harder? He's a year older, so if he was contemplating retirement after the 2007 season, I would think he'd be leaning even more toward retirement after 2008, right? Last year, he needed half a season to make up his mind. This year, he's still not sure right away, but he makes the exact same decision, only 8 months earlier?

I know there was more pressure on him from the team to make up his mind, but something about the way he's gone about this bothers me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.

Yeah, I agree it is odd. My guess is that two things helped make up his mind faster, the team told him he had to decide and they didn't win the cup and in fact got embarrassed in the first round by Dallas - probably much easier to retire after the Cup than it is after getting it handed to you.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Good for the ducks, I havent heard much rumbling from there defensive prospects.. so they need that D help.

Say bye-bye to Schneider (could he be a guy we court at the deadline next year, assuming he is playing on a poor team and is on the trading block?). They need to unload him to have any chance of keeping Perry. And, they need a second-line center, but they don't have the money to add one.

They will absolutely need to trade Schneider, and fast (or Bertuzzi, but who the hell would take him at $4 million)... kinda feel sorry for him, but he put himself in that situation.

They'll be lucky to get a decent draft pick for a 39 year-old, injury-prone defenceman making $5.75 million.

Edited by egroen

They will absolutely need to trade Schneider, and fast (or Bertuzzi, but who the hell would take him at $4 million)... kinda feel sorry for him, but he put himself in that situation.

They'll be lucky to get a decent draft pick for a 39 year-old, injury-prone defenceman making $5.75 million.

One of the teams hoping to hit the cap floor may be interested in either of them but other than that I don't see a contender dealing for either of them at those price tags.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! WHY? Is his wife that bad to look at? Do his kids drive him crazy? Makes NO sense. Especailly with the extended amount of travel this year do to having to play every team. Must be broke. May be Pronger's boytoy? In any case at least I won't have to read about it til Dec.

Now they just need to get back Selanne, McDonald, Penner and Bryzgalov and they will have a team that can compete....

28th in the league and eliminated in the first round.

hahahahahahahaha

Its not just that they have to trade Schneider. They have to trade Schneider AND one of Bertuzzi or Marchant.

With Niedermayer + Bonuses, they are at 53M. Thats 3.7M left to re-sign Selanne, add a 2nd line center, and re-sign Perry. Perry alone should cost 5M (especially if Burke is forced to match a reasonable offer sheet. Whos to say some GM won't offer Perry 5.25-5.5 just to drive up Burkes re-signing costs?) That puts them at a good 1M over the cap, plus the league isn't going to allow the Ducks to sign Selanne to a pittance. He should come in at at least 1.5. Theres no way Bert or Schneider are going to add anything of value to their roster in a trade, unless it was a salary dump from another team, which defeats the purpose, they'll have to sign a low-paying Dman to replace Schneider to begin with, which should cost them 700k if the guy is remotely respectable. That puts them at nearly 3.5M over the cap, and signing a 2nd line center is going to cost them a lot more than 2M. And this is all assuming they find a taker for Schneider ASAP, sign Selanne and Perry to well under what theyd make on the market, and find a 2nd line center that will cost them sub 2M.

I am so excited to see how Burke handles this.

Schneider, when healthy, was arguably their best defenceman last year, too.

Thats not saying much. Pronger and Beauchemin had beyond mediocre years, and Niedermayer waited out half the season. So I guess Schneider was better than O'Donnell. Oh boy, he should be proud of himself.

Hopefully the Wings and Ducks meet up in the playoffs and the Wings get redemption from '07.

oh they will when they snag the 8th spot to play against the returning president trophy winning red wings.

SWEETNESS.. :colorbounce: :colorbounce:

Hopefully the Wings and Ducks meet up in the playoffs and the Wings get redemption from '07.

ya that would be awesome.. but without the whole redemption thing <_<

Edited by Duck Guy