No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DSM

Drake leaning toward retirement

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...ing_toward.html

In a nutshell:

-Drake close to retiring

-May bring in replacement or could be replaced by Kopecky who may not be ready in time for camp

-Stuart talks continue

-Lilja close to signing for just over 1mil a year for 2 years

-Chelios close to signing

-Zetterberg talks

-Holland think Howard is ready but still wants to bring in another veteran goalie ???

-Holland wants to offer both Downey and McCarty 2 way deals, but not till July 1st

Ok, Discuss.

Edited by DSM

Cool!!! Everythings lookin' good for the Wings, but I still don't want Dally to go. :( I also don't like the idea of Denis but I especially don't like the thought of Emery being a Wing. Oh well, Kenny knows what to do, I don't.

All looks good except Chelios close to signing. Sorry, but we have so many promising D-men in the system and he's filling that void. I'd rather see Quincey, Meech, or Ericsson more than Cheli... Love the guy though.

All looks good except Chelios close to signing. Sorry, but we have so many promising D-men in the system and he's filling that void. I'd rather see Quincey, Meech, or Ericsson more than Cheli... Love the guy though.

You don't think any of those 3 defensemen could benefit from Chelios?

I think some people are getting their undies tied in a knot. He won't be playing all 82 games. He's a depth guy now. Also, I think Ken Holland knows what he's doing. He knows better than anyone here where those defensemen are in terms of development.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...ing_toward.html

In a nutshell:

-Drake close to retiring

-May bring in replacement or could be replaced by Kopecky who may not be ready in time for camp

-Stuart talks continue

-Zetterberg talks

-Holland think Howard is ready but still wants to bring in another veteran goalie ???

-Holland wants to offer both Downey and McCarty 2 way deals, but not till July 1st

Ok, Discuss.

Assuming Flip is re-signed then we have 11 forwards locked up. Therefore, offering Mac and Downey two-way deals would seem to indicate that he expects to sign at least one forward and/or to keep Helm on the roster.

emery would be a great signing for 1 million for one year IMO. babcock and co. could def straighten him out and he's young with lots of potential. if he acts likea prick then we could always just send him down to grand rapids...

We have seen that having goalie competition is good. I would lean towards Denin over Emry. Denin being with Columbus and Tampa Bay I would guess he is pretty shell shocked and wouldn't know how to deal with less than 40 shots per game.

Guest Dump-N-Thump
Assuming Flip is re-signed then we have 11 forwards locked up. Therefore, offering Mac and Downey two-way deals would seem to indicate that he expects to sign at least one forward and/or to keep Helm on the roster.

If we have 11.. Mac/Downey would make 13.. and thats all teh forwards we are carrying.. since we are going to carry 8 D-Men.. Meech would be considered the 2nd reserve forward.. So it works out well..

Helm - Abdelkader will probaly start in GR barring an amazing training camp.. Just for more playing time, not because they aren't ready.

--

I personaly think Emery would be a great addition.. He's a good young goaltender still.. In Ottawa the blame was put on him for the losses. Well if you dont have Defense.. your going to end up loosing no matter what goalie you have.. And i think Detroit proved that during the stretch where Lids,Kronner,Raffi? were gone.. We found our selves in the midst of a loosing streak and it was all to do with a Inexperienced bunch of defensmen

Thanks for the great year and hard hits, Mr. Drake!!!! :beerbuddy:

Oh yeah. If he does leave now (and I don't want him to either), he will go knowing he laid it all out there to help the Wings win another Cup. He played like a warrior, especially during the playoffs, and he can go out knowing that.

I was also thinking about July 1st coming up and about how grateful we Wings' fans can be knowing Holland's in charge. I'm guessing some fans of other teams are dreading the potential stupid moves their managers might make, while we can pretty much look forward with anticipation to what he's gonna pull off.

Just one more reason to be grateful we're Wings' fans.

-Drake close to retiring

Pretty much figured that.

I'd magine Kenny would bring in a replacement for Drake regardless of whether or not Kopecky is ready to go or not.

Dats-Z-Homer

Franzen-Fil-Sammy

Maltby-Draper-Cleary

Hudler-Helm-Kopecky

DMac/Downey

-Stuart talks continue

I'm not holding my breath. I'd love it, but just don't see it happening.

2 year/$1.25 million per (which looks reasonably accurate) is a solid deal for Lilja's role on this team.

Hopefully its no more than $650,000 given that he's likely to only play half the season and he made $850,000 last year. However, a good signing if the price is right. You can never have too much depth on your blueline, especially if it comes at a reasonable price.

-Zetterberg talks

Z is Lazy and he Sucks! :P

No surprise here! :thumbup:

Sidenote: Who was it last year that stated in a thread that Arice89 and I were wrong to think Z could be signed as early as July 1st?

Don't expect Henrik Zetterberg to sign a long-term extension on July 1 like San Jose's Joe Thornton did last year.

He stated that a new deal couldn't be signed before the first day of the season. This article respectfully disagrees with him.

-Holland think Howard is ready but still wants to bring in another veteran goalie ??

Time to let Jimmy s*** or get off the pot. I'd rather see them claim a goalie off waivers if Jimmy flops after the first couple months than see them bring in a mediocre goalie that will just be a spot-holder. A spot-holder isn't going to help the Wings' playoff run if Oz gets injured.

PERFECT! Exactly what I stated I wanted in the Enforcer thread yesterday. Sign both of them to 2-way deals!

Guest Dump-N-Thump
Dats-Z-Homer

Franzen-Fil-Sammy

Maltby-Draper-Cleary

Hudler-Helm-Kopecky

DMac/Downey

I dont see them having Helm play 4th line minutes in regular season, i think theyd rather have him get top line play in GR then they would 4th line in DET.. Just my thoughts. but we'll see.. I can see both scenerios happening.

I dont see them having Helm play 4th line minutes in regular season, i think theyd rather have him get top line play in GR then they would 4th line in DET.. Just my thoughts. but we'll see.. I can see both scenerios happening.

No, you're absolutely right. It was a brainfart on my part (that rhymes).

Dats-Z-Homer

Franzen-Fil-Sammy

Maltby-Draper-Cleary

Hudler-Kopecky-DMac/Downey

An FA or two to round out the lineup.

Why waste money on a goalie? No one out there except maybe Kolzig would be a worthy addition. Otherwise, we're picking up a goalie with Howard-like talent, wasting cap space. That bugs me for some reason.

2 year/$1.25 million per (which looks reasonably accurate) is a solid deal for Lilja's role on this team.
That money for an experienced #6 is a solid deal. I guess we'll have to hope that Babs can resist the temptation to slide Lillypad into that open #4 spot.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

It pretty much has to be Lilja, Big Rig or Quincey.. Someone who can clear out the front of the net.. We shall see.. I really enjoyed Lilja last year, I think ever since his Ducks debacle he really got a target on his back, and any chance he gets to become a LGW whipping boy it happens.. Samething with sammy..

If we have 11.. Mac/Downey would make 13.. and thats all teh forwards we are carrying.. since we are going to carry 8 D-Men.. Meech would be considered the 2nd reserve forward.. So it works out well..

Helm - Abdelkader will probaly start in GR barring an amazing training camp.. Just for more playing time, not because they aren't ready.

--

I personaly think Emery would be a great addition.. He's a good young goaltender still.. In Ottawa the blame was put on him for the losses. Well if you dont have Defense.. your going to end up loosing no matter what goalie you have.. And i think Detroit proved that during the stretch where Lids,Kronner,Raffi? were gone.. We found our selves in the midst of a loosing streak and it was all to do with a Inexperienced bunch of defensmen

No, signing Mac and Downey to two-way deals means that we can and probably will send at least one of them down to GR (assuming there are no injuries). Therefore, this would give us the flexibility to go out an acquire one or even two FA forwards and keep Helm, Mac and Downey and Abs in GR in case of injuries.

I don't care about this one way or another. He doesn't give us anything we don't have, and I honestly didn't want him on this team anyways, since I never liked him.

He's basically Kirk Maltby without Kirk Maltby's popularity as a Wing.

Guest Dump-N-Thump
No, signing Mac and Downey to two-way deals means that we can and probably will send at least one of them down to GR (assuming there are no injuries). Therefore, this would give us the flexibility to go out an acquire one or even two FA forwards and keep Helm, Mac and Downey and Abs in GR in case of injuries.

I realize what a 2way contract is, I think you might of just misunderstood what i wrote..

I was just speculationg the scenario as if we stayed put and didn't make any jump into FA.. that Mac and Downey would be on the roster.. I dont see Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm on the 4th line when they can be playing 1st line in GR..

I realize what a 2way contract is, I think you might of just misunderstood what i wrote..

I was just speculationg the scenario as if we stayed put and didn't make any jump into FA.. that Mac and Downey would be on the roster.. I dont see Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm on the 4th line when they can be playing 1st line in GR..

Yeah, I misunderstood what you wrote. My bad.

I agree, I can't see Helm or Abdelkader playing in Detroit next year unless there are a plethora of injuries. However, while Downey and Mac could be our 12th and 13th forwards, I don't think Kenny wants them to be. Offering them two-way deals allows us more flexibility and the ability to sign one to two FA forwards.